Okay Due to everyones suggestion that the AV8R-02 despite being "xbox/pc capable" is really not pc compatible what so ever, and a few frustrating evenings trying to prove them wrong lol, has led to me giving up the notion of flying on pc with that stick, all is not lost cause I can use it for the few games on xbox I have. I was going to just grab the logitech 3d or attack 3 stick as they are both like 25 bucks at best buy and I had a 10$ gift card. But then I saw the X-52 was on sale for 60 $. I had planed on saving up for atleast the pro flight x-52 but I couldnt pass up getting a hotas for 50$ all told.

Now like I said in some of my previous posts I havent flown a good flight sim since the days of Janes USNF 97 and similar offshoots. And then I had my Logitch stick that prob had 5-6 buttons a throttle slider and a pov hat.

Now I have a X-52 with a bagillion different things. 2 pov hats, sliders, spin dials, and up to 6 modes ? which I assume is like radio presets so I can program one version of whatever buttons then another and switch between multiple layouts mid game by hitting the clutch button and changing the selector.

Needless to say Im hopelessly overwhelmed. Obviously I know the axis's to set and triggers and such. But are there recommendations for other things? Id rather have a preset layout and then change things to my own liking later than try to come up something from scratch. Is that what the Profiles are?

Lastly the software cd that came with it says it only runs on xp64 and I have vista. I went to the saitek website and seleected the x-52 and my 64 vista system and downloaded the driver and software it said, but I didnt get a chance to test that yet. so hopefully the downloaded software will work when I get home from work. so I'll hopefully be able to program it and whatnot when I get home.

But I have SF2:Vietnam and Im lost enought trying to learn how to fly jets all over again (from my 10 year hiatus) as well as learn how to manipulate the tech of that era, I dont know what things should be mapped to the stick and what things shouldnt.

So if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. I asked a similar question in an IL-2 1946 forum but obviously WW-2 era is alittle less complicated as I dont have as many different controls as radars and MDF's and such to manipulate.

I think, the game sets up a basic control scheme when it detects a new joystick. Stick, rudder (check that one) and throttle. Gun on trigger, weapon launch on "Fire". Next is up to you. Fly around with this setup a few times, note which keys/functions you use most and then bind them to buttons not far from where your hands are. A POV hat can make a decent radar or weapon selection contoller. Take off/landing functions should be fine with toggle switches at the bottom. I doubt you'll need a stick profile with modes and shift keys for SF2. Now, modded Enemy Engaged is a different matter...

As some have said its kinda a self learn process. I take it the game doesnt have much tutorial? I didnt get a chance to poke much last night as it was late and I was passing out and hadnt gotten the stick set up all the way yet. But how would people recommend one to get their wings back while learning a new set up like a hotas. I usually try to start in more or less realistic settings as I find playing with handicaps only creates bad habbits. And I have a good understanding of flight mechanics, but what about trying to learn all the secondary stuff. radar, target tracking, weapons systems other than guns. from my bits of reading the radar/ mdfs and such are pretty realistically done. Is there tutorials how to use these? Also I saw the "vietnam expansion pack" or something or other in the downloads section that seemed like a very nice all encompasing mod. Would people recommend I play the game stock before adding this community add on? or does it fix and add things that would benifit me from the start. Is it just added campaign functionality and such?

Thanks guys youve been great help.

Practice guns and IR missiles on F-100. Mind that early AIM-9 Sidewinder kill is much harder than a gun kill. Line up as you would for guns, wait for loud tone and launch. Don't pull g's while launching though.

For radar use, take a look at this guide http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2343

Pick an F-4J, that one has a good radar, and practice. Radar operation is simple in the game: scan, select blip, lock on, launch.

Edited by Gr.Viper

Start with single missions in stock game for training, take available planes for a ride. Then install the mod and see how much it impoves and adds. :grin: