Sign in to follow this  
76.IAP-Blackbird

Starting my glider license

So, I managed to start with my student budget a glider license. My first flight was this saturday afternoon. We drove with a friend to a small airport near Dortmund Kamen in west Germany and asked for some infos and for a possibel flight. We get so much infos and impressions this day that we couldn`t wait to have our first flight in such a small airplane/glider :grin:

I got my "lets go" very soon and as I placed my self in this tiny cockpit my heart gets faster and faster. A few seconds befor all was ok and I was just grining all the time. But as I was inside the glider, the canopy was closed and I felt very confortable. We decided to catapult us with the winch at the airport, the acceleration was great! Everybody told me, it`S ok, feels good, .. but when you are catapulted the first time from 0-120 kmh in nearly 2 seconds, no description has enough word for this damn cool feeling!

First I thought ... ok.. ok wooooooohoooooo and we accelerated right to the moon!!! Ok not so far but damn fast for a bird which is build out of fiberglass.

not my video, but with nice impressions, for the one who are interested in flying a glider.

I`m still a student so my budget is very low, but feels good to have the possibility to fly!

We flew the Duo Discuss!!!

DuoDiscusX.jpg

Cheers

:drinks:

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Good luck with it I had a couple of lesson's years ago to see if I was going to take it up but the costs in the UK are horrendous...

It sure gets peaceful up there...

Edited by Slartibartfast

It isn`t so expensive, with enough engagement at the airport you can reduce the costs per start from nearly 20€ to 6 or 7€ that`s not so bad, but the other things are expensive. Like the trip to the airport it`S 45km away and with the gas price like 1,47€ per liter it`S damn expansive.

But a dream becomes true!! :drinks:

Go 76 that looks great. I did some hang gliding at one time, not much but its the neatest thing.

Airplane = deep sea diving

Sailplane = scuba diving

Hang gliding = skinny dipping, all natural

We should ask Jug if, under good summer convection conditions, one could thermal with an empty U-2.

Hey 76:

Good luck. You'll love it. :good:

You experienced a minny Cat Shot on take off. :blink:

Now imagine: 60,000 lbs of high speed aluminum from 0 to 160 kts in 2 seconds.

One of the most thrilling things you can do with your clothes on. :yikes:

Hey 76:

Good luck. You'll love it. :good:

You experienced a minny Cat Shot on take off. :blink:

Now imagine: 60,000 lbs of high speed aluminum from 0 to 160 kts in 2 seconds.

One of the most thrilling things you can do with your clothes on. :yikes:

Is it more thrilling without the clothes on?

So, I managed to start with my student budget a glider license.

Congrats on first flight! :) And good choice going for gliders! I started myself a few months ago, and hopefully I'll be doing my first solo flight this weekend, weather permitting.

I originally considered gliding because it was cheaper than other aircraft. But as I learned more I found it's also more interesting and challenging. And it feels more like a flying fighter than puttering round in a little Cessna :)

@ ezlead, that would be a dream to have this experiance, even once a life :drinks:

I`m a fascinated aviation fan since I was three years old, where the Warsaw Pact MiG`s flew lowformations over our holiday location back in czech republik! Damn, so loud and so fast.. I meet an old CSSA Pilot at the german airport, he is now nearlyover 80 years old and still flying gliders! Damn this Grandpa is so cool, and his stories about his flying experiance. He flew many types back in the Czech Airforce. A very nice old man!

:good: Pilots are an interesting bunch of people

Nice to have some of them here around!

Totally love those glider mini Cat shots - a great feeling as you are going up -

Would love to try a real cat shot - not so easy for us less fortunates hey Ezlead :grin:

Mig: One of the perks of being in Naval Aviation. :ok:

76: Learn to fly gliders well. Powered flight is easier to learn after learning to fly gliders. Most WW2 Luftwaffe Aces started in gliders. :good:

Server:I don't know about you,but I usually find other thrilling things to do with my clothes off. Yes,even at my age!

Although joining Mile-High Club with most clothes on was thrilling. :yikes:

I totaly excited to fly around the area in this tiny "sporty" glider, very cool design with no compfort, you position in this plane is half sitting, half lying like in F-16... ok the power is missing :grin: but the feeling is still very cool!

Yes I know, the real aces started with glidertraining back in the 30`s and only later they were trained on a normal aircraft like a Biplane or even the Bf-108.

I realy love it, it`s a new level in my life, I`m very happy to have this experiance and to see here are some people around who flew or fly also some gliders and normal planes. Ok I can`t compare it with a bird like FC is flying around T-38 or other here. This is a thing I can`t reach. It`s out of my range, so I do my best to have fun with the damn cool looking fightergliders! :grin:

And later when the money input is ok I can start thinking about making other licenses. Flying is a dream which comes true!

With a happy smile, best regards! :drinks:

Martin

I totaly excited to fly around the area in this tiny "sporty" glider, very cool design with no compfort, you position in this plane is half sitting, half lying like in F-16...

Yes, and in more ways it's more like a fighter than general aviation planes. Like having a bubble canopy with excellent visibility. And having a proper stick instead of a yoke. And being single seaters, or at best two seats in tandem. And wearing a parachute. And having excellent manouverabillity, and no problem doing 4-5 G turns and aerobatics. And having "cat launches" with winch, or "flying formation" with the tow plane.

Gliders are so much cooler than little Cessnas   :grin:  

Damn this is a cool movie!!!

Yes the vid author wrote he used some scenes from this movie :drinks:

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird