Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

Trackir 5 with XP

Hello

Presently I run Trackir 3 pro with vector expansion, wearing a hat with a three prong clip.

I'm wondering if the purchase of trackir 5 will be a backwards step or not?

The trackir forums seem to have some reporting problems with all sorts of software versions.

Does the latest software run well with XP?

Anyone using a hat with trackir 5 and XP? What is it like?

As far as I know, TrackIR works great in XP. In my case with OFF it works even better than in Win 7.

I'm using TrackIR 4 with the pro clip and software version 5.

I did, before I got my new rig. TrackIR 4 hardware, with TrackIR 5 software.

It worked fine. The only thing happening sometimes was, that I had to start the

TrackIR program again, cause it wasn't responding the first time.

But then it always worked very well. I didn't mind.

I can confirm it works fine.

My Brother has TR5, and Win XP Home 32bit....all works great :good:

UncleAl, that would make me wonder now, that everyone else was fine with it,

but your system went haywire....

However, I can confirm just the opposite. Trackir 5 went crazy on my XP, like somebody was using a Disco Reflector Ball with a strobe light nearby. I thought I knew about Trackir, apparently not. I went for the $150. The new camera unit looks impressive, but it's working with the TR4 Software. And I had a Devil of a Time deleting the TR5 software, it just refused to leave Salute.gif

sounds like you had a light source behind you interfering with the sensors

Yeah, he shouldn't have been wearing his halo! Mmuahahahahahaaa!!!!

sounds like you had a light source behind you interfering with the sensors

Doesn't have to be a light source per se, but a reflective object will do that as well, such as a picture frame or even a door knob at the "wrong" eye level. Learned that the hard way. Do a camera view to see what shows up, and adjust light filter.

To be entirely honest, I love TIR and what it does for my enjoyment of flight sims when it works well. I've had it since 2006 so I am familiar with it. HOWEVER, I've found the software/drivers to be THE MOST FLAKIEST pieces of code I have EVER loaded on my computer.

For instance, now running Win 7 64 bit, so am restricted in what version of TIR I can use apparently. In the past under XP I could look down my wing (90 degrees to fuselage, of course) and lean forward to zoom into the horizon (in another sim, of course). Doing that now nothing happens, or I get a slight backwards head motion, and no, the axis action is not reversed. Also when I center my head, I get a strong visual jolt.

I am now literally getting motion sickness headaches from TIR because it doesn't react like it should to my head movements. Deleting/reinstalling is such a PITA, and there is no guarantee it just won't make things worse. I've had to reinstall the entire OS once because TIR killed the activity on the USB port it was attached to when I tried to delete/reinstall.

They must be making money hand-over-fist at Natural Point, you think they could get the driver support correct...

Bandy, ever thought of running two operating systems? Chosen after start of the rig?

And then I heard, that Win Vista could be run as if it was XP - not sure if that's for Win 7 as well.

Hihihi! I got a disc with the software with it!

Uncle, I don't think it is a disturbing light source.

When TrackIR 4 is running properly, TrackIR 5 should also do.

It must rather be a conflict or something like that.

Check the "true head angle" setting - it should be somewhere

between 30 - 45 degrees. Not much less, cause then your slightes yaw

will make a big move on the screen.

Edited by Olham

I'm using Track IR 5 and the hat clip with Track IR 5 software in WinXP 32bit. Works perfectly.

Edited by Winston DoRight

I use T4 h/w and T5 s/w and it's fine on XP 32 when using it. The only issue I have is sometimes it'll keep running in the background when I shut it down. But that's nothing. I blew up my GPU the other nightblowup.gifYeeeee harrrrr look at that thing burn baby ! Oh well never mind sad.gif

catch: I blew up my GPU the other night

Yeah, 1918 is HOT - try 1916 - a lot quieter.

Sorry to hear that, Catch, but it's the best excuse for getting a NEW baby!

Faster, baby, faster!!!

I just purchased a TrackIR 5. In fact, I just installed it this morning.

Install is a no-brainer and the thing works great with OFF using the "default" profile. Just gotta try it now with IL-2 and SF2-V.

I am running Windows XP w/ SP3.

Yeah, now you got it - the same setup as mine.

Happy flying, UncleAl!

Clear skies - and stay above!

I'm still running TIR4 right outta the box but I've been thinking of upgrading

But after reading this thread, maybe I'm better off holding tight til they get things ironed out

In the past under XP I could look down my wing (90 degrees to fuselage, of course) and lean forward to zoom into the horizon (in another sim, of course). Doing that now nothing happens, or I get a slight backwards head motion, and no, the axis action is not reversed. Also when I center my head, I get a strong visual jolt.

Bandy, There are a couple Rules of Thumb for optimal TIR performance

1. Don't sit too close to the camera IIRC 2-3 ft works best

2. Camera should be at the same height as the Hat Reflectors (My screen is higher so I tip my cap back)

HTH,

UncleAl is absolutely right there, Duce - try it. I run T5 sofware on a T4 camera,

and it works very well. The T5 software gives you more softness and a better

overall setup window. You can't do anything wrong by downloading and trying it.

It will be rewarding.

Indeed Duce. Tir 5 software is superior to 4. Never had problems with my Tir 4 hardware with XP.

Do as uncleal and olham says. You won't regret.

The natural point website is rather lacking in details

The V.5.0 Final B Software lists TIR5, & TIR 4:Pro

Will this work with TIR 4 and a Hat Clip?

By all means, upgrade to the TIR5 software. Stay away from the betas.

I've run the 5 software using TIR4 hardware under both XP PRO_32/64 with no problems what so ever.

The response and smoother transitions are noticeable.

plug_nickel (Al)

If the hat clip is that three-reflecting-dots-metal clip you fix to a base cap screen: YES

Running fine for me!

And there's no risk. You install the TrackIR 5 software, and if it should not run (which is

not to expect), you could still deinstall it and download the TrackIR 4 software again.

But it will work, and it will do fine.

My 2c on this:

I have just finished setting up my OFF Development Win7 (64) OS PC and I found that Trackir5 software would not always initialise properly on auto startup when the OS booted.

Trackir4 software on the other hand does and so I am sticking with that for the time being...

Oh yeah and I have Trackir4 hardware

YMMV

WM

My 2c on this:

I have just finished setting up my OFF Development Win7 (64) OS PC and I found that Trackir5 software would not always initialise properly on auto startup when the OS booted.

In the compatibility tab of the exe file check Run as Administrator, and if it doesn't work set also different compatibility modes, starting with XP SP3.

Edited by Von Paulus

In the compatibility tab of the exe file check Run as Administrator, and if it doesn't work set also different compatibility modes, starting with XP SP3.

Ta - yep tried that...

Cheers

WM