Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Guynemer's Place of Death and Burial

Just searched the web for Guynemer's place of death.

I had always thought, that his place of death was unknown, and his body never found.

Now I read this in Wikipedia - does anyone know, if it is confirmed?

According to an American Red Cross communique from the French front, the death of Captain Georges Guynemer was determined to be "definitely confirmed". This Red Cross report provided these details:

Information received by the Red Cross says Guynemer was shot through the head north of Poelcapelle, on the Ypres front. His body was identified by a photograph on his pilot's license found in his pocket. The burial took place at Brussels in the presence of a guard of honor, composed of the 5th Prussian Division. Such is the story told by a Belgian, who has just escaped from the Germans. The burial was aobut to take place at Poelcapelle, when the bombardment preceding the British attack at Ypres started. The burying party hastily withdrew, taking the body with them. The German General chanced to be an aviation enthusiast with a great admiration for Captain Guynemer's achievements. At his direction the body was taken to Brussels in a special funeral car. Thither the captain was carried by non-commissioned officers and was covered with floral tributes from German aviators. The Prussian Guards stood at salute upon its arrival and during the burial, which was given all possible military military honors. The French Government has been invited to place in the Pantheon, where many great Frenchmen are buried, an inscription to perpetuate the memory of Captain Guynemer as 'a symbol of the aspirations and enthusiasm of the Army.' A resolution to this effect has been introduced in the Chamber of Deputies by Deputy Lasies.

I've been to the Pantheon in Paris and I've seen Guynemer's tomb. It is quite elaborate. It seems that no one really visits the Pantheon. Part of the spreading historical amensia I guess. Sad. :no:

Just searched the web for Guynemer's place of death.

I had always thought, that his place of death was unknown, and his body never found.

Now I read this in Wikipedia - does anyone know, if it is confirmed?

According to an American Red Cross communique from the French front, the death of Captain Georges Guynemer was determined to be "definitely confirmed". This Red Cross report provided these details:

Information received by the Red Cross says Guynemer was shot through the head north of Poelcapelle, on the Ypres front. His body was identified by a photograph on his pilot's license found in his pocket. The burial took place at Brussels in the presence of a guard of honor, composed of the 5th Prussian Division. Such is the story told by a Belgian, who has just escaped from the Germans. The burial was aobut to take place at Poelcapelle, when the bombardment preceding the British attack at Ypres started. The burying party hastily withdrew, taking the body with them. The German General chanced to be an aviation enthusiast with a great admiration for Captain Guynemer's achievements. At his direction the body was taken to Brussels in a special funeral car. Thither the captain was carried by non-commissioned officers and was covered with floral tributes from German aviators. The Prussian Guards stood at salute upon its arrival and during the burial, which was given all possible military military honors. The French Government has been invited to place in the Pantheon, where many great Frenchmen are buried, an inscription to perpetuate the memory of Captain Guynemer as 'a symbol of the aspirations and enthusiasm of the Army.' A resolution to this effect has been introduced in the Chamber of Deputies by Deputy Lasies.

guynemer is dead? no, you must be mistaken olham. he's still flying and can't land because he's flying too high. that's officially confirmed, so please don't twist historical facts! yess.gif

Yeah, I read that version too. And it read so much nicer.

To be gone, without your dead body being found and plundered.

Like Antoine de St. Exupéry, who's "Little Prince" became world famous literature.

He was just missing in action, on a photo reconnaisance flight to prepare for the

Allied landings at the mediterranean coasts of Italy and France.

Then in April 2004, I read, that they had found his Lockheed Lightning 70 meters

below the water surface, near Marseille, and he had come back to earth,

a mere mortal body, in a wreckage for all to see.

A bit later, I saw the German pilot, now an old man, on TV telling how he shot

down that "Lightning" with his Bf 109.

The irony - he was a great fan of literature, very familiar with St. Exupéry and

the "Little Prince". Already soon after the war had assumed, that he shot this

famous author down, cause the time of disappearance and the aircraft fitted.

But he could not speak. He could not say it openly to anybody, and when he

now, after so many years, told the story, tears were rolling down his face.

My understanding has always been that the great French ace has no known burial place.

Have to do some more checking - a wiki is hardly the last word - since (I think) anyone can add or change things(?).

My understanding has always been that the great French ace has no known burial place.

Have to do some more checking - a wiki is hardly the last word - since (I think) anyone can add or change things(?).

Well, they have his tomb at the Pantheon. Not sure if he is actually in there tho'.

Yeah, I thought they (the Germans) claimed to have buried him, but the site was horribly shelled thereafter, and the exact location lost in the mists of war.

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom