Sign in to follow this  
Kulbit80

Dels Korean War mod AVAILABILITY on First Gen. Series?

they put so much work into it, it will be SF2 only I think all stuff is made for the new generation

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

The Korean War mod is being put together by the same team that put together NF4+ and DS mod. (Plus some others) Dels is our pit maker (Has made 2 so far.) This will be for SF2 only.

Soulfreak:

Who is still flying gen 1????

A good number of people, apparently. If you compare the download numbers for the SF2V version of the Expansion Pack with the WOV version, you'll find that both stand at around 1000 downloads. Now, those are just two theater-specific mods, but it is an interesting apples-to-apples comparison nonetheless.

Eric Howes

The thing is Eric that most of the modders have moved on to SF2 and have no interest in modding the old series. Most of us do not even have the 1st Gen series installed.

Everyone should move over to the 2nd gen at some time. :good:

Who is still flying gen 1???? blink.gifdntknw.gif

ME (ich), and I realize that I belong to the sort of people of the lesser kind, morons, idiots, douchebags etc. etc. but I don't mind bye.gif

Moving over to gen.2 ? In time we'll see, and maybe there will be a 3th or a 4th generation or a complete new game ........

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Actually the KAW mod could be the "killer application" that might give motivation to many to move to she series 2

And in one way or another this is what it is desginged to be. Actually KAW theatre does not even make use of the only really new feature, i.e. the RWR system.

On the other hand modding is MUCH easier on Series 2, and for the desigin of such a huge project, every mean to simplify such a huge workload is weel accepted.

In my case, KAW might be what will force me to make a SF2 install.

I own all the SF2 series games, and if I had to start now I woould use them. With a main isntall modded over 5 years that now spans 75 GB and many dedicated otehr isntalls ,I need motivation to move. Maybe KAW will be a good starting point. It will make for sure more sales to TK, which is good

Dave:

The thing is Eric that most of the modders have moved on to SF2 and have no interest in modding the old series. Most of us do not even have the 1st Gen series installed.

Modders can do whatever they want, obviously. If their interest is exclusively in the Gen 2 sims, then that's their business. My point was only that there is a significant number of folks still playing the Gen 1 sims.

Speaking for myself alone, I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 versions of all the titles installed, yet I rarely fly the SF2 versions -- too much hassle. Between the broken installers (resulting in missing aircraft and skins), the various bugs in the latest patches (can't select friendly aircraft, missing text messages, etc.), and the broken SEA terrain, I can't be bothered. The Gen 1 sims lack the improvements in the Gen 2 versions, but for me those new features and improvements don't even come close to making up for the bugs, which are "showstoppers" in my book. The Gen 1 sims just work.

Of course, I'm not on Vista or Win7, so I get no benefit from the DX10 shaders in Gen 2, which is undoubtedly a critical issue for Vista/Win7 users.

Eric Howes

Speaking for myself alone, I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 versions of all the titles installed, yet I rarely fly the SF2 versions -- too much hassle. Between the broken installers (resulting in missing aircraft and skins), the various bugs in the latest patches (can't select friendly aircraft, missing text messages, etc.), and the broken SEA terrain, I can't be bothered. The Gen 1 sims lack the improvements in the Gen 2 versions, but for me those new features and improvements don't even come close to making up for the bugs, which are "showstoppers" in my book. The Gen 1 sims just work.

Eric Howes

DX10 stuff doesn't thrill me really. I can run it, but its not why I mod the Gen 2 series. Its the under the hood stuff that the Gen 1 lacks that Gen 2 has, weapons capabilites, FM improvements, mod making improvments, which are a must that the Gen 1 lacks. Not to mention the ease of install without the patch dance. (those who have patched a modded install know that pain) Missing text messages arent an issue, pilots didnt have them. :lol: The list of stuff that Gen 1 is broke on seriuosly outweighs the Gen 2 issues hands down. My point is, most people arent going to make 2 mods for both series. One can either get the new series or they can convert them on their own. Just my 2 cents though. There is no right or wrong here just making people aware that the major mod teams have moved on.

I keep seeing new stuff, planes mostly, that are either released or WIP as Gen 1 still. I wish they would all move on to Gen 2.

Then again, I'm sure if I were playing WOV and not SF2:V (which few people seem to get right when it comes to names I've noticed lol), then I might feel the opposite. lol

With any post 80's plane mod, you loose a LOT of the functionality in SF1 that you have in SF2...

Who is still flying gen 1???? :blink::dntknw:

Me...

I have an older rig that going to have to do for a while.....

Plenty of mods out there left to try.

You do what you have to.

Thanks guys for replys but i stay on first gen. and maybe i'll try to rework comming Korea mod...

First generation simms are like old Harley or Mustang... steel deam good! :salute:

I asked this same question to Wrench time ago, and he said the mod will have a .txt file with proper instructions to make the mod working in 1º generation games (missing some features). That's good to me. I like to custom my installs and have 1º generation games only.

speaking for myself i can(t stand flying the first series anymore

so much improvements in sf2 series (rwr, ai, destroyed model and so on) and if there is not so much bugs (apart in last patch the disapeared comment) from a fresh install (like the first series if you remember)

the only regret is the fact that not all cockpits of the flyable ones get reworked

Edited by Murphy'S

Let you in on a little secret ... so far -now, I havent tested ALL the new aircraft (well, 3 of them), but ONE important Navy Jet and it's pit works just fine in Gen1 series (discoverd this recently, while cross testing it due to a strange 'freeze' in SF2KAW). Dels AD pit also works just fine in in Gen1

The terrain itself, and all the ground objects work just fine, thank you. In fact, the terrain ONLY needs commenting of 5 lines in the data ini to work with NO issues (since all the tiles are Gen1)

So for those of us still working with Gen1s, you'll only miss out on 1 or 2 airplanes. IF two of these don't work correctly in, say WoE at 08 level, there STILL exists perfectly usable alternates made for Gen1.

And even if this new 'important Navy jets' DIDN'T wrok in Gen1, it's a VERY simnple matter to use pre-existing skins for, and just reuse the decals created for it (albeit, on a later version of said jet), but easily re-done by folks that can 'think outside the box'

wrench

kevin stein

Well... I still use the first generation because of 2 things:

1) My laptop use XP and is not soo new (2006).

2) The oct. 08 patch level is stable compared to the SF2 series that still need some fixes.

My son runs the 2nd Gen on his 5 year old Dell XPS with very little problems. Had to turn the grpaphics to meduim because the vid card is only 128 MB RAM but that is his only issue.

I play both versions and will continue to do so, in the old games I still can play vs my brother and have invested many many hours in modding my install just the way I like it

The new games are considerably better (with the exception of multiplayer), but I'm still very far from getting it the way I want it: just yesterday I spent my entire afternoon in updating just 4 planes :blink:

Also, when I release on my own something I made, it will be very likely compatible with both versions

Before anyone gets optimistic about back porting to Gen 1, a few notes of caution:

1) We don't know how reliable back porting some of the models will be. There have already been issues with folks attempting to use the new LODs (with bump mapping) in any SF2 install not patched to at least the Feb 2010 level. Even those same models without bump mapping were causing CTDs. I cannot confirm if either of those models will work in the Gen 1 series at all.

2) In all likelihood, the Suez addon that TK is making will have been out for a bit before the KAW mod is released. With that addon, will be new FMs for prop and straight wing aircraft. I will tell you we will more than likely be cribbing from those FMs for some of the KAW mod aircraft. There is no guarantee those FMs will work with Gen 1 sims.

3) Some of the AI parameters that are used by the KAW aircraft simply do not exist in the Gen 1 series...which could cause problems for the AI in the Gen 1 series.

FC

With any post 80's plane mod, you loose a LOT of the functionality in SF1 that you have in SF2...

Other than the RWR, what else? and it is not an aggressive question, I am really JUST asking..

Other than the RWR, what else? and it is not an aggressive question, I am really JUST asking..

Well, all avionics in general, the ability to model radar and guidance frequencies on both airborne and ground based units, and an improved level of flight dynamics modeling (just to name a few of the refinements). GregoryP has stated that SF2 exceeds most existing simulations in this last respect.