Sign in to follow this  
Duce Lewis

14 Round Brisfit

Lt Hans Philbrick was on his inaugeral flight

He replaced a Jasta 7 pilot too dumb to fly home

Fighting with a damaged kite on the wrong side of the line, deadsticking in NML ...Captured! dntknw.gif

Hans pulled a Balloon Defense as his 1st Mission, leading 8 Scouts, folllowing A Flight's 3

Bogioes popped, 9 O'Clock low, angling in ...showing as Bristol Fighters when they closed

Ho Boy! this may just be a short career!

We overflew then dove steeply, idling the throttle to slow the closure rate

Started firing at long range on the leader, trying to get as many rounds into that brute whilst safely above that TGer's scope of fire

Scored some hits but the Bristol jerked up and rolled as I closed in

This gave the TGer his chance and, as is oh so common, he made best use of it, holing my powerplant

I immediately broke from the action turning North, looking for an airfield, engine coughing and wheezing

I watched the fight on the TAC as the white dots turned black, worried for my new M8's, wishing I was there

Landing was uneventful as I still had great height

But as I rolled out, here comes my Flight dutifully following me, 6 of the 7 lads (A Flight having avoided the scrap)

Exiting to the OFF Manager brought another surprise ...a Claim Form!

The Brisfit must've gone down - 90 Rounds Fired, only 14 Rounds Hit!

Yet somehow it was enough ...brought some spirit back to my heart

Hope Hans continues his luck in this career

Good show, Duce! The Brisfits are tough bastards, I've lost quite a few planes fighting them. (And I'm currently flying one in a British campaign - it rocks.)

Sometimes all it takes is a few bullets, no matter how tough your opponent is. And sometimes you literally fill your target with bullets and still it refuses to fall. I've seen this with SPADs many times.

Duce: Hope Hans continues his luck in this career

He will need it, if all his fights go like this one, Duce! :grin:

Congrats on your Brisfit - may it be the first of a row of them.

My advice (after killing at least 9 Brisfits by now): send your wingmen first to attack

the same craft as you will. The gunner is now very busy, defending them off.

That may give you a very good chance to put your rounds into his fighter unharmed.

Don't hesitate to open fire from a distance of 600 feet, getting closer.

That will kill him.

Sometimes all it takes is a few bullets, no matter how tough your opponent is. And sometimes you literally fill your target with bullets and still it refuses to fall.

Yeah. I got the lucky shot this time ...but then so did his tailgunner

The Brisfit jerkinking up and rolling off makes me think I mighta gotten the pilot

Duce: Hope Hans continues his luck in this career

He will need it, if all his fights go like this one, Duce! grin.gif

Congrats on your Brisfit - may it be the first of a row of them.

My advice (after killing at least 9 Brisfits by now): send your wingmen first to attack

the same craft as you will. The gunner is now very busy, defending them off.

That may give you a very good chance to put your rounds into his fighter unharmed.

Don't hesitate to open fire from a distance of 600 feet, getting closer.

That will kill him.

Sound advice from the Brisfit King

We had the perfect position this time, 500 ft directly overhead

Strangely, I'm looking forward to fighting the Bristols again

There's a score to settle now

the brisfit can be nasty, but when I have encountered them, I have noticed a few things. When they maneuver/turn their gunners rarely fire or hit, their wings come off easy if you shoot them (the lower ones), and it doesn't take them long to start flying like drunk skunks when you put a few rounds into them, then all you have to do is watch them stall-circle around for a while until a tree takes care of them.

Olham gave good advice.

Well, and you also followed jsalbano's by ripping that wing off - very good, Morris!

More than with any other plane, it is important to drop that frear-frozen tight stick flying,

and find the best ways to attack, with impetus - with respect, but no timidity.

After the first three you killed, you will feel different; more confident.

Think maybe I'll try some wing root shooting next time I meet one of those F2b brutes

Lt Philbrick continued his quarky style of luck last night

Leading an 8 Ship formation on a Ground Support Mission (A Flight getting the day off)

They flew off, crossed the front, flying west parallel to it, about 2 miles behind the lines

1st obstacle were 5 Se5 Vipers parading back and forth in front of them up high

We waded in and engaged, shooting all 5 down for the loss of 3, Hans getting 2

Regrouping and continuing the patrol led to 6 Camels 11 O'Clock low whilst reaching the final waypoint

We overflew and dove steeply on the Tommies as I tried to target the leader

They were good and we had a wild furball

Hans managed to get 2 Sopwiths but it wasn't going well for his brethren

Pulling off his last victim he spotted 2 Camels surrounding a Fokker at 11 O'Clock and a 1 on 1 fight at 2 O'Clock

There was also a lone Fokker a mile away, maybe shot up

Hans pointed his nose at the 2 Camels only to shortly see the Fokker in their midst crash

Turned to help his lone combatent M8 only to witness him crashing

heat.gif Gulp! Hans attempted to thread the needle between the 2 groups

Now with 2 Camels passing at 9 O'Clock and 1 turning on his tail at 5 O'Clock

The 5 O'Clocker was the immediate threat so I snap turned to Starboard, passing him

All the time drumming on the <H> Key ...HEEEEEELP!!!

My remaining wingmate responded and took on 1 of the Camels, leaving the other 2 to me

They were tenacious, as soon as I gave 1 the slip, another was turning on my tail

Evading 1 I whipped into a tight turn to Port, knowing that the other had to be there somewhere

Looking back, there he was planted right on my tail, a hairs breadth more rudder and he'll be firing

No way my Fokker'll out turn his Camel nor could I afford to go round & round with him

Desparate, I kicked bottom rudder and rolled into the turn, executing a scary low Split-S

Now I dislike the Split-S, hate to sacrifice the altitude, so I whipped right back up in an Immelmann

The bewildered Camel Driver was right there at 11 O'Clock, still turning

Snap turned back inside him and layed in a burst

He zoomed allowing Hans to get some good shots in, ruddering off early cuz his M8 will pigeon hole him if he lingers too long

So the fight went on & on, chipping away at the Camels, hoping my M8 is doing well against his Tommy

Finally 1 of the Camels zoomed early allowing Philbrick to line him up and lay on the lead

The inner voice said "Break Break" but he also wanted that Camel, finally kicking rudder to reverse and dive away

Crack Zip Ting Zip Zip Crack! the other Camel now fired lead into Philbrick's Fokker, charging up to save his M8

The 2 machines passed with Hans whipping back up in a 1/2 Loop as soon as he had enough speed

Pulling over at the top he saw the now stalling Camel and more importantly the Tommy's M8 plummeting down belching heavy smoke

Pushing the stick left to roll level only brought a sluggish response ...Ailerons Shot Up!!!

Pumping his rudders in a "Swim Move" Hans coaxed his Fokker round and dove on the Camel

Philbrick blazed away at the Camel knowing he had to at least disable it's capabilities fast

Struggling through a turn and then a zoom the Camel finally relented and made his final turn towards earth

Pulling out and swimming his Fokker round in a turn, Hans' heart palpitated as he witnessed his last wingman crash

The victorious Camel immediately turned off towards Philbrick and they charged at each other

This is it! ...we'll finish it now ...Mono E Mono ...who gets to tell the tale in the mess?

The 2 machines roared at each other head-on firing away with lead, hurling obsenities at their adversary

Hans slammed his stick forward at the last moment, amazed that he managed tomiss the Camels prop & wheels

Pulling up and round as best he could, imaging this is the Camels moment where he'll out turn his anemic DVII

But the Camel, it was soon apparent, was in even worse shape, turning slowly

Lt Philbrick latched on his tail and opened fire, indiffereent to the Britishers plight

It didn't last long, the Tommy rolling over and crashing

Swimming his Fokker round Hans turned immediately straight for his lines, victorious & exhausted but still very much in peril

That wretched front line, how he hated it so!

But the Tommies weren't through with him yet ...6-8 Bogies appeared 12 O'Clock high, blocking his path to the front

Turning east he flew on trying to evade what would be a certaim death

On he flew listening to his powerplant's every note, that cough, shudder, or wheeze that would fortell it's demise

Finally somewhat past the threat, he angled 45 Deg and limped across the line, eventually making it back to base heat.gif

But the mess was eerily empty and quiet that night

Epilogue: If Hans Philbrick conmtinues at this pace, this is sure to be an extremely exciting, albeit short career!