Sign in to follow this  
SUICIDAL

CLUB-K

lub-k: Russian deadly weapon can be concealed in a container

A Russian company is marketing a new cruise missile system that can be

hidden inside a shipping container, giving any merchant ship the potential to eliminate an aircraft carrier.

Among the potential customers of the system-K Club

Kremlin allies are Iran and Venezuela, defense experts say. Many have expressed concern that these countries can deliver satellite-guided missiles to terrorist groups.

Such missiles are very difficult to detect.

"It's a blow. Club-K delivers a precision strike long-range normal vehicles can move almost anywhere in the world without attracting attention,

"said Robert Hewson of Jane's Defense Weekly, who was the first to reveal its existence.

"Nobody has done that before," he said.

1375.png?w=450&h=337

1376.png?w=450&h=337

Hewson estimated the cost of the Club-K, which packs four cruise missiles for sea or land in a standard shipping container 40 feet in 10 to 20 million dollars.

"Unless sales are very tightly controlled, there is a risk that it could end up in the wrong hands," he added.

The promotional video showed how a standard shipping container with Club-K could be hidden inside other containers on a train or a ship. When required, the roof is raised and the four missiles ready to be fired.

clubk.jpg

An official of the manufacturers located Kontsern Morinformsistema-Agat telephone declined to answer questions about Club-K.

He said the company had no spokesperson and he needed time to consider written questions before handing a petition to the administration of the company.

Russia is one of the top arms exporters in the world with an unprecedented level of sales of 8,500 million dollars last year to countries like Syria, Venezuela, Algeria and China. It is estimated that its order book skirts the 40,000 million dollars.

http://www.youtube.c...ayer_embedded#!

Mikhail Barabanov, a defense expert at the center of analysis and strategy of Russia

(CAST for its acronym in English), said that as far as understood, Club-K was still in the concept stage.

"Potential customers include anyone who likes the idea," he said.

"We know that the United Arab Emirates have shown interest in buying the club," he added.

Barabanov said Club-K uses proven Novator missiles, a Russian company established

to manufacture weapons from which include anti-submarine, surface to air missiles and submarines.

One of the missiles on offer is a special anti-ship variant, with a second phase which

is removed after the launch and is accelerated at supersonic speeds up to Mach 3, or three times the speed of sound.

"Transport is a murderer," said Hewson of Jane. "If one or two of them hits you, the impact is large angular ... is horrifying," plotted.

Source: terra

Edited by SUICIDAL

I read about this in The Telegrah and it does not look good... It's more I can't afford or don't know how to build a Ballistic Missile so these will do... The Telegraph where stating one system would cost around $10 million. Not sure on what the range of the missile's are but you are looking at 200 miles+ with the anti-ship variant being the shortest ranged due to what it has to do... The potenial buyers list doesn't look good either... Granted the Ship launched variant wouldn't last too long once it has fired it's missiles but it's too late then... and in an Iraq style invasion you would have to stop and search every single ship that could carry one and still not be certain you have the target...

Only issue I could see though for most nations is targetting...

Here's the rough specs on the Missile's though it is Wikipedia so as I said rough specs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3M-54_Klub

Edited by Slartibartfast

*puts another entry on the shopping list*

Looks like something that Ernst Stavro Blofeld would like for Xmas, or maybe Dr Evil :grin:

I don't think there's anything within LOAC that would declare this illegal. What you can't do is mark religous or medical symbols on the containers. It looks like something Hollywood would do for an action movie... Sum of All Fears II.

Guerilla warfare meets cruise missiles. This has disaster writen all over it.

The truth is very dangerous for civilians.

The concept of the weapon, it is interesting. But loony.

Any terrorist cell with contacts in the high dome of a government could buy them.

And to attack coastal cities and maritime traffic also.

I do not want to imagine what would happen

If it attacked a cruise ship full of tourists.

If true, a very clever idea anyway. Even if clearly looking like a hoax, it could be possible. In my job, I often have to control many containers, some of them coming from Iran or Venezuela for example, and changing ships at my place. Can somebody give me the exact full load weight from which I could recognize such a passing container?

You won't be able to tell a thing by looking at it, but you can detect it by its smell.

It smells like...victory.

You won't be able to tell a thing by looking at it, but you can detect it by its smell.

It smells like...victory.

No, that's Napalm in the morning

Great - another flipping nightmare - hope this stays as a cartoon

Back during the early days of sub-launched IRBMs and ICBMs, Congress was waffling on the funding for the USN's Polaris missile sub-fleet. The USN wanted a fleet of (IIRC), something on the order of 20 units, and Congress wanted less than half that figure. Eventually, a compromise was reached...and 13 boats were built. A USN officer who was lobbying for the project back in 1959, allegedly shared his tale of woe with a counterpart who was in the Royal Navy. His counterpart suggested that the USN should instead construct a large (30-40 unit) fleet of inexpensive "covert" freighters, equip them with Polaris silos, and send them everywhere.... :yikes:

I see no real new. To put a cruise missile in a commercial container is possible since the late 80th.

Edited by Gepard

And they've even given it a nifty sales-pitch name... I can imagine their marketing campaign...

"For 10 Million $US, come join Club K!"

This is so wrong... 

OK, how long will it take Holywood to make a movie about Somali pirates hijacking a ship with those and figuring out how to use it?

I wonder if our mlitary tech people will start marketing six-packs of Russian anti-helicopter mines as well.

"Don't like Apaches flying around? Put a passive supersonic sleeper on every rooftop!"

I think there is much more involved in Arming, Aiming and Launching this sort of weapon system, than your average terrorist group would be able to figure out.

It's one thing to fly a plane into a building...quite another to use this methinks.

I don't think Holywood types will care. A few days ago in CoD Modern Warfare 2 I saw a single seater F-15 casually take out a building with AIM-120. If people buy that, how hard will be to persuade them that a cruise missile can be controlled by Skype and XBox 360 gamepad...

I think there is much more involved in Arming, Aiming and Launching this sort of weapon system, than your average terrorist group would be able to figure out.

It's one thing to fly a plane into a building...quite another to use this methinks.

with a data link to provide the fire solution, it´s a weapon wich a terrorist group may not use, but a rogue state? I thought of North Korea at first

given that hizbollah hit an Israeli corvette with a similar type cruise missile from a truck, linking in coastal radar for the firing solution, I think we have to assume that quite a few of the more sophisticated terrorist groups could figure this out.

of course, not the ones that put the wrong kind of fertilizer into a malfunctioning trigger VIED..........

there certainly are quite a few groups that could employ something like this.

another point - actually being able to launch a cruise missile from a shipping container rather than just shipping it is something quite new.

This is not a nice thing for anyone to have built and be marketing.

cool stuff

hey suicidal, I take 10 of the stand-alone container and 20 trucked versions LOL

jajajajajajajajaj

God, do not give me ideas. The truth would not be a bad idea to release a pack.

CLUB-K TERRORIST PACK.

Includes the version of the train, boat and truck cargo.

rofl.gif rofl.gifheat.gif

that's a great idea IMO :)

not only missile trucks but also some railroads would be great to give the game a little bit more of fidelity :clapping: