Sign in to follow this  
Morris

New creative Audigy Drivers

Truedrinks.gif

Eheheh. That's what I call bad reputation.

Because of that I took out my Audigy since I last changed motherboard, and been living with the onboard one.

Because of that I took out my Audigy since I last changed motherboard, and been living with the onboard one.

Same here. One less potential aggravation. Onboard VIA sound had some glitches, as well, but were easily solved with a driver upgrade.

Gents,

There is surely a big difference in sound quality between a PCI or PCIe sound card compared to on board sound. I think that sound blaster sound card are a problem but there are other PCI sound cards that are quality and makes a huge difference.

M

Sure Morris. But I cannot justify the 60€/70€ that I would spent with a dedicated card, specially when I hear everything through headphones. Besides the onboard sound quality is not so bad nowadays.

It ain't necessarily so VP. Updating drivers for my X-Fi Xtreme card a while back solved some issues I was having. It's a timely reminder from Morris as people tend to forget about sound drivers. There's also a theory that sound cards free up resources otherwise used by onboard chips which helps performance. Myth or fact ? Who knows.

Of course I delete all the other Creative rubbish that comes with the drivers lol.

I'll give these latest drivers a miss though as they seem to be just for win7 issues. XP rules anyway.

Yes, I've read that X-Fi are better, and people tend to have less problems due to drivers issue.

But with Audigy things are worst. Not that I did many problems with my Audigy 2, one or two games with CTD and the emu10k1 infamous BSOD.

I'll add my 2 cents here. I've used but never liked Sound Blaster. So my last few computers I've just gone with the on-board sound and find it to be very good, though I do use higher end motherboards. I don't even know if I would want to fit a sound card in with the graphics cards I'm running. Tower space is limited and it gets warm enough as it is. So for me, no sound card, one less potential problem source and still very good sound.

I bought an Audigy 2zs many years ago and was quite happy with it. Only problem I had one time was with OFF.. the sound didn't work properly with a change of view while flying; it would cut out, then come back on. A update to the latest drivers fixed the problem.

What I want to tell you all is that I finally decided to update my sound card a few months ago and after doing a lot of research, I decided on the Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme Music. It's been replaced by some other versions that tend to divide it's features into different models, while the Extreme Music version had everything. I found one new and discounted way down in price to about $70 at Amazon. Box was battered looking, but everything was new and it works great. Best upgrade I could have made. I'm amazed at the sound improvement in my mp3 music with the crystal enhancer, but what really floored me was the surround effect through headphones that it creates. I couldn't believe the effect in games that make use of surround sound. You would swear that you are listening to a surround sound system. I got rid of my heavy Logitech surround sound headphones and am now just using my light weight and comfortable Grado SR60's The other thing I like is the presets for gaming, recording, or music use, you can set up the effects for each type of use, so, for games, I simply change it to the gaming preset and it's set up to emulate surround sound specifically for headphone use.