Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Death of a Computer

Wrench's, The computer went Tango Uniform. He will be out for a week or so until his new computers gets here.

Well working in IT I see it on a daily basis... Ouch from here as well...

Hope he remembered to back up or the Backup Bear that is Dave will be out to get him...

Edited by Slartibartfast

In my best Bart Simpson voice:"OH MAN!" :sad:

It seems to me you guys are somehow dogged by bad luck! :bomb:

Maybe would some Voodoo practice help? (and I don't mean fly a few hours with the one-o-wonder... :wink::grin: )

It's Kilo Uniform Tango that it went Tango Uniform !!!!boredom.gif

Good luck Kevin !!

Hou doe

Derk

Edited by Derk

posting from my wife's office ...

been here ALL frakking day, backing up the HD (yanked from the machine, running through one of their laptops to a NEW 1TB external) so, I don't think I'm going to loose much of anyhthing but lots and lots of time in rebuilding the games/mods/etc when the new machine arrives in about 7 -10 days. Nice new XPS 9000. I think I"ll call it 'HAL'

so, i'm probably not gonna be around much, due to NOT having a machine to hookup to the net.

Expect LOTS of Win7 qeustions when I'm up and runningj ....

thank for all the support my brothers (and sisters, if any out there).

Be back soon!!

wrench

kevin stein

Wrench::

, backing up the HD (yanked from the machine, running through one of their laptops to a NEW 1TB external) so, I don't think I'm going to loose much of anyhthing but lots and lots of time in rebuilding the games/mods/etc when the new machine arrives in about 7 -10 days....

Another joins The List.

Wrench

Computer "went down"

No backup, but lucky hard drive survived

the-wrench1.jpg

GMagos

Lost one backup DVD

No further backup

Xcat_small.gif

eraser_tr

Hard drive crash

No backup

av-7445.jpg

Bongodriver

Hard drive crash

No Backup

av-25123.jpg

76.IAP-Blackbird

Deleted game

No backup

av-8289.jpg

Okay who's next?

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Wrench, make another backup, DVDs whatever, at least the more important stuff. I am afraid all hard drives. I am terrified of "new" hard drives until at least a few months of heavy use, at which point I become afraid of them. I tremble in fear of external drives at all times.

Wrench, you will love Win~7. I use classical look, no aero baloney. Fantastic out of box. This will be a Good Thing in the long run, as long as that "new" thing works out, and/or your old drive is still usable.

Wrench, what happened to computer if you know?

Nice, I just downloaded Core Temp 64, google it, and you can set it to start with Windows~7 and optimize taskbar to show the current cpu temp C or F on the taskbar at all times (change colour to taste for easy vis). They have a CoreTemp32 for XP I suppose. Just wish there was some way of showing the data during gameplay instead of having to tab out. There has to be a way. Doesn't FRAPS show game framerates on screen during game? Never tried fraps.

Had a problem similar back in September. PC had a nasty bug come on it. In the process of fixing it one day, the motherboard went arcs and sparks. Harddrives were okay, though. Went out that week and bought a brand new box. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of Win7 and wasn't sure all my stuff would work on it. You can imagine I was delighted that for the most part, Win7 is XP on steroids. It's got all the pretty features of a Mac OS with the functionality and compatibility of Windows. I have WOV and SFP1 working flawlessly on 7, so at least you should have zero probs there.

I can't say enough good things about Win7. I now have it on all my machines. Kevin you will not be disappointed.

AND...

if I don't like it, I'm certainly jumping into the car, Driving ALL the frakking way to Ohio to your house, backing my butt up to you front door, and farting!!! :heat:

Then, heading home.

Yup, got the old standby 2.6 desktop that Pat (mrs wrench) had out at her house -actualy was her mom's house, but it's her's since MILs passing 3 years ago-, and got it up and running with a semi-decent connection (thanks to Fubars help and $15 dollar ethernet-to-usb adaptor, as the ethernet port is NFG)

don't think I can game, or work on the game projects, but at least I'm back on the net and here (also for my "other activities")

wrench

kevin stein

Win7 quite honestly is what Vista should have been. I can count literally on one hand the number of applications that run in XP that I cannot get to run in Win7 64-bit. (Jane's F-15, Interstate 76, BattleZone) It's fast and stable, yet runs darn near everything designed for Win95 or later.

FC

Wrench::

...backing my butt up...

Good. Lets stay focused here.

Remember, it that "new" external thing doesn't last a week, and they sometimes don't, and your old hard drive gets something happened to it, your butt is busted.

Back up your butt again.

The best reason for a comp crashing is a reason to tell the wife you need a new one grin.gif . Fortunately you were able to recover most of your stuff when mine died I lost everything.