Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

Butcher of Mumbai gets death sentence

Kasab gets death for 'waging war' against India

06sld1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajmal_Kasab

Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the 26/11 Mumbai carnage, was on Thursday sentenced to be hanged till death.

Kasab shall be hanged by the neck until death," Special Judge M L Tahaliyani said while reading out the sentence awarded to the 22-year-old terrorist.

The death sentence will be subject to confirmation by the Bombay high court. If ratified, Kasab, a foot soldier of terror outfit Lashkar-e-Tayiba, can also appeal against it in the Supreme Court, and then appeal to the President for mercy.

Kasab was awarded death penalty on five counts -- attempt to murder, conspiracy to wage war, collecting arms with an intention to wage war against the nation, kidnapping in order to commit murder and causing explosion to endanger life or property.

Kasab, who wore a white kurta-pyjama, sat stoically through the proceedings in the specially created court room in the high-security Arthur Road jail.

After pronouncing the sentence, the judge asked Kasab to stand up and explained to him the verdict in Hindi.

"Pakistan ke LeT se milkar saazish ki uske liye maut, khoon kiya uske liye maut aur bharat sarkar ke khilaf jung cheda uske liye maut, .aapko marte dam tak sazayen maut di jayegi (For conspiring with Pakistan-based LeT, for committing murders and for waging war against India, you will be hanged till death)," the judge told Kasab.

When the judge read out the sentence in Hindi to Kasab, he showed no remorse or any reaction. Asked if he had anything to say, Kasab waved his hand to indicate 'nothing'.

Kasab, who smiled once to himself, remained quiet throughout the proceedings. But in the end he seemed to have a minor altercation with the guards around him, ending it by holding his head as if to say 'don't trouble me'.

It took the judge one hour and 15 minutes to read out the sentence.

"In the court's opinion, Kasab has no chance to reform. Keeping such a terrorist alive will be a lingering danger to the society and the Indian government," Tahaliyani said while pronouncing his verdict.

The judge cited the example of the Kandahar hijack case, in which arrested terrorists were swapped for the passengers held hostage. "If Kasab is kept alive, this situation may occur again," he said.

The judge said Kasab had joined terror outfit Lashkar-e-Tayiba voluntarily and offered himself to be a mujahideen (holy warrior).

After the sentence was read out, Tahaliyani explained to him in Hindi that he had been given death penalty on four counts and asked whether he wanted to say anything.

But the Pakistani terrorist simply shook his head, after which he was taken away by the police back to Arthur Road Jail.

"Keeping Kasab alive would be a lingering danger to the society and the Indian government. The possibility of Kasab reforming is completely ruled out by the barbaric manner in which he had behaved. When the planned attack was delayed, he was very anxious to attack India. There are too many aggravating circumstances and the court has no option but to impose the death penalty," he said.

Flashing the victory sign, public prosecutor Ujwal Nikam expressed happiness over the capital punishment.

"I am happy because my effort to bring relief to the families of those killed by terrorists has met with success," said Nikam, for whom Kasab was the 38th person to be given death penalty in a case handled by him.

Kasab's lawyer K P Pawar said he would not criticise the judgment but his client has the right to appeal against it.

Kasab was on May 3 convicted of almost all the 86 charges.

Justifying the death penalty for Kasab, the court observed, "The life of any person who wages war against the country stands forfeited".

The judge also said that Kasab had felt no remorse for his actions and hence there was no chance of rehabilitation or reformation. He observed that Kasab was mentally prepared to attack India and had voluntarily joined LeT in Rawalpindi and offered himself to be a Fidayeen (suicide killer).

While reading out the sentence, he observed "the terror acts were meticulously planned with use of modern equipment and techniques and necessary precautions were taken to see that the attack was a success".

"There are no words to explain the extent of brutality. There are no circumstances to create a balance in favour of the accused and he does not deserve lesser punishment," Judge Tahaliyani observed.

While remaining non-committal on whether he would move a superior court in appeal, Kasab's lawyer K P Pawar said, "I will be given an opportunity to meet him. Then I will ask him and then it (whether to file an appeal) will be decided."

Prosecutor Nikam urged the court to levy compensation for damages to property during the terror siege to the tune of Rs 155.73 crore. Asked by the judge who will pay it, he shot back that the LeT should shell out the fine.

The court, however, said it was disinclined to consider Nikam's plea after which he did not press for it.

Crime branch chief Himanshu Roy said the judge has correctly convicted Kasab and awarded the death penalty.

"We welcome the sentence. I feel it was a very important probe. Those thinking about terror activities against the country will also have an adverse impact," he added.

On May 3, Kasab was pronounced guilty under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, Arms Act, Explosives Act, Explosive Substances Act, Railways Act, Passport Act, Customs Act, Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act and Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.

You know what i would wanna know? Why do people like him do what they do? On the wiki it says he became a terrorrist so that he could feed his family. Apparently they got money when he joined, but is it really worth giving away ones soul and start killing people over that. Why not try to help ones family in another way.

Should be put in front a firing squad every morning for a month and not shot until the 30th day and then then take him out...

But that might break his human rights... Like the one's he ruined for the people he was involved in killing...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Fabrication of a new martyr is on its way. It would have been better to keep him for life in a secret place (far side of the Moon - style), he would have been forgotten much sooner.

I don´t think that waging war against any country should be the fact to punish but the assasination of 166 people. I would prefer imprisonment for life too, but i won´t feel sad for him. I already feel sad for the innocents he and his fellas slaughtered.

Yep, in a few years, he will be forgotten...and so will his victims by all but those who knew them...and the cycle continues unabated

Keep him alive and feed him well. After a year explain to him that he's been eating a little bit of pork mixed in with his food every day. Then hang him with a noose that has pork fat smeared on it.

Keep him alive and feed him well. After a year explain to him that he's been eating a little bit of pork mixed in with his food every day. Then hang him with a noose that has pork fat smeared on it.

Ahahaa just as insulting as the bacon ak-47.

But knowing these f***ers if they try a carbomb over a f***ing cartoon, that will only make them swarm out of the woodworks and attack more people.

There are fates worse than death that should rightfully reserved for scum like this. The oubliette in medieval dungeons for example, meant that the person had to live with themselves until such mercy as starvation let them out of the prison cell of their mind. I would much rather see the person sent to an ultra max style prison and kept going indefinitely rather than give him the possibility of thinking in his last moments that he is a martyr and therefore won, or for others to see this as a martyrdom. However, the argument that keeping him alive could result in kidnappers using this as a bargaining chip for his release is understandable. I wonder what they'll do with his body seeing as Pakistan don't want it back. Pig feed?

Fabrication of a new martyr is on its way. It would have been better to keep him for life in a secret place (far side of the Moon - style), he would have been forgotten much sooner.

Keeping him alive would probably do more harm than good. Apart from wasting the Indian taxpayer's money on his food and security, it would also cause a repeat of IC-814 and other hostage situations where terrorists based from "you know which country" demanded release of Kasab and his bretheren

Indian Airlines IC-814 hijacking

The fellow who was freed roams freely in that country and gives inflammatory speeches against India, while the govt of that country does nothing and ran a farce court trial against him.

IF you click on the below link,you'll see what I mean. It is a tactic used by terrorists to blackmail India

List of hijacking of Indian aeroplanes

The pig in his confession said he was disappointed to see less people at Mumbai's Central Railway Station and enjoyed seeing people dieing and in pain. Such people who kill innocents in the name of God deserve to live? While I agree hanging him is too easy a death for him. He'll answer for his sins in hell. He'll be so disappointed when he doesn't get to meet 72 virgins in heaven for his "jihaad".

There can't be martyrdom neither ultimatum for release if nobody is able to say at any time if he is either alive or dead, and if so, where his grave is. Make him simply... vanish!

I say they combine both possible verdicts...life imprisonment while hanging from the neck until death. His life could last several days!

Hang him high!

That's basically the same load of crap they use to convince the 'suicide bombers' not only do they promise those arseholes 72 virgins, but they'll make sure their family is fed. You figure if they're stupid enough to buy the 72 virgins line, making sure the family is fed, seals the deal.

If we can get DARK for moment, hanging is a pretty quick way to go. At a military Hanging, a sandbag weight is added to the feet, so that when the trapdoor opens. The combination of the weighted soon to assume room temperature body, along with that properly placed Hangman's Noose, snaps the neck instantly. And life ends right there and then

Big difference with a necktie party with an oak tree a horse, a rope, and the uncooperative subject

Never could figure out the need for the alcohol swab, when giving a Lethal Injection

DARK is good sometimes. How about a long drop with a twist.. use a bungie rope lol.gif That would make for a viral you tube clip till the bounce runs out, then the PC sensors would probably cut the footage.

"Never could figure out the need for the alcohol swab, when giving a Lethal Injection" PMSL. I don't understand the whole idea of lethal injections anyway, it's like an attempt to sanitise what will always be a harsh thing which is the termination of a human life. The inherent flaw with trying to get non medical people to administer three injections into a presumably uncooperative "patient" in stressful conditions could be avoided by injecting a super powerful toxin like blue ring octopus venom, cobra venom , funnel web venom, or any number of similar substances which would only require a sub cutaneous injection at best. If the idea is to make it "humane" then they could just give them the mother of all morphine ODs.

In such cases where the guilt is absolutely beyond doubt, with incontrovertible evidence, and seeing the scale of the crime I don't see why anyone should bother to make it painless. Circumstances like this surely warrant extreme measures.

Well the alcohol swab I guess is just in case of that last second call from the governor to cancel the execution. But how much would that suck, getting your life spared at the last possible instant, and then dying of an infection three days later.

Well IMHO a suitable faith for that guy would be ending up as a human testbed for possible transplantations from Pig spare parts. And to prevent him to do a suicide he should wear a tray jacket when not at the operating table.

I find some of the comments from people quite disturbing to be honest...the half of which, if they were carried out, would make the speakers guilty of the most hideous crimes of all!

Suffice to say..he'll be hanged...and that'll be that! (til the next loony jumps on his bandwagon)

No idea Uncleal...the two stories must have passed me by.

Along with most of the reactionary garbage we are bombarded with on a daily basis, by media rags trying to out-bulls**t the next media rag to sell their recycled wood pulp, which is best used to soak up the accidents caused by house-training Puppies :grin:

Maybe I'm just old fashioned..but I believe that makes us just as bad as them

What good is being "better" than them if they win? Besides, feeling superior to others and thereby justifying heinous actions is the root of the problem in the first place...

well still it is such a shame for the indian judicial system,the judgement took more than a year.and all this when the accused was in our own country,if it was in another country .......

well still it is such a shame for the indian judicial system,the judgement took more than a year.and all this when the accused was in our own country,if it was in another country .......

That's not such a long time, compared to some country I could name.

yes shotdown but still 1 year is enough time,2nd his trial was too much showoff instead of hanging him first we demonstrated that how fair we r by putting him through a trial in which evidence was showed to convince the judge that this assh*** was the one who slayed innocenrs mercilessly.