Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Vickers Machine Gun vs a Tree

Imagine being in a kite with fabric and wood with an unreliable engine at the front... and someone behind you firing one of those... it could get dicey rather quick or is that you could be diced rather quick...

haven't these buffoons got anything better to do, than waste time shooting a gun at a Tree?

They really ought to get out more and see the world...even try sleeping with a woman!

Idiots

Widowmaker: They really ought to get out more and see the world...even try sleeping with a woman!

Idiots

:rofl::good::lol::rofl:

Yes, the Vickers is an awesome weapon. But imagine the damage to a wood and fabric aircraft with this...

post-45761-12731941904764.jpg

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Impressive machine gun demonstration. But had it to be a defenseless tree? I LOVE trees!!!

Germany has always been protective of trees. Someone I knew crashed into a tree with his Beetle back in 1972 - and got a big bill for the tree :lol:

There is another video with the two of them displaying the actual tactics the Germans used with their MG placements at the Somme. They used balloons to simulate "soldiers" marching across an open field, placing the MG head-on and to the flank of the 'column' of balloons.

It was pretty disturbing to see how fast the column of balloons was shredded.

Unfortunately, WWI battlefield tactics were no better than than ancient Roman tactics, however, the opposing forces were well equipped and modern. The stats say it all.

OvS

Dear uncleal,

If the observer pulls the trigger on that gun the plane will fly backwards. lol.gif

m

OVS,

I saw that of the balloons and it made me thank the LORD that i was not there or ever in a situation like that.

Edited by Morris

Hihi, yeah, UncleAl - we know each other quite a bit by now! :grin:

I cannot tell you, what the pivot is, but did you notice the dark long bags hanging from the wing

left and right of the pilot?

Yes, if RAF_Louvert would still be here, he would know.

Miss him.

Unfortunately, WWI battlefield tactics were no better than than ancient Roman tactics, however, the opposing forces were well equipped and modern. The stats say it all.

OvS

Hey, don't diss the Romans. They kicked almost everybody's ass back then. It wasn't their fault those brilliant generals of the late 19th and early 20th century thought there's nothing better than marching in columns and lines against quick firing rifles and machine guns and field artillery. :grin:

They did learn, eventually (infiltration tactics and all that) but the learning process cost the lives of so many people...

I wonder what those guys would have thought back then..

"Ay, William, the lads been shooting a tree down, what ya think of that? Is tree don move and no trees flying round er for us to shoot at, doncha know?"

"Right-Oh, Billy!"

spandau.gif

Pretty much says it all.rofl.gif

ZZ.

post-45966-12735035989533.jpg

Hey, don't diss the Romans. They kicked almost everybody's ass back then. It wasn't their fault those brilliant generals of the late 19th and early 20th century thought there's nothing better than marching in columns and lines against quick firing rifles and machine guns and field artillery. grin.gif

They did learn, eventually (infiltration tactics and all that) but the learning process cost the lives of so many people...

Sorry H-W, I couldnt' resist.grin.gif

ZZ.

post-45966-12735041988953.jpg

Edited by zoomzoom

Aahhhmmm - I don't know... maybe I should have thought twice, before I started this thread.

I LOVE trees, and I like dogs, and I hate flamethrowers...

Oh lord, you must have had a bad migraine, when you created man...

Oh lord, you must have had a bad migraine, when you created man...

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

- Douglas Adams

Oh well. In a more positive light, did you guys ever see the last (and most advanced) attempt of the Imperial German Army's use of lozenge camoflage before the end of WWI? yikes.gif

ZZ.

post-45966-12735136321024.jpg

Welllllll - on a woman, I prefer natural skin!

Welllllll - on a woman, I prefer natural skin!

Agreed.. or raw silk... Ahhhh.... :heat: