Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

Boeing proposes new F/A XX - the NGAD

Nice - havent seen that before - bet it will be manned though :grin:

A long way off - in the meantime have seen that the NAVY might be getting 124 more FA-18E/Fs from Boeing.

if this one tries to get in service in 25 years, the aircraft evolution is dead,guys....this is a design for a plane to test in 4-5 years.i see no actual difference from existing techniques and external solutions!

... :salute:

I prefer the second one (mock up)... :clapping:

Coupi.

To be honest I wonder how long the Supa Hornet will remain in service....personally I think it will be around for a few more years (decades), so given that and the fact that the Navy is still planning to replace the Legacy Hornets with the F-35C (once it's available), I don't see yet another new aircraft type coming anytime soon.

Of course Boeing is pitching this now, because once the last Super Hornet is produced they would be pretty much out of the fighter game for the time being. Because I doubt that either the Super Hornet or their latest Eagle redesign will pull major contracts anywhere.

The article states that the F-35 is to replace the A-10 ! How does it fill in for the Warthog ? With the A-Stan experience hasn't the A-10 once again come into light as a must have for CAS and CO-IN ops ? What comparable firepower does it have to replace the A-10 ?

Edited by Atreides

I think the A-10C will be around for some time yet - the A-10 was going to be replaced by the A-16 before the end of the Cold War too.

Have even seen rumours of a new cheap COIN aircraft being produced.

As for the F-35 - well I would guess that what they are getting at - against a 'real' Air defence the F-35 would provide CAS until it was safer to send in slow movers like the A-10.

Anything with PGMs can provide CAS these days if you have troops on the ground - for example Ive seen it mentioned that the B-1 is fantastic for CAS, can loiter forever, and carry loadsa bombs.

As for poor old Boeing, it seems LM got all the best Jets - never mind am sure they will think of something - be interesting to see if anyone gets the F-15 Silent Eagle - not sure its that much of a bargain either - just bend the tail a bit.........

The article states that the F-35 is to replace the A-10 ! How does it fill in for the Warthog ? With the A-Stan experience hasn't the A-10 once again come into light as a must have for CAS and CO-IN ops ? What comparable firepower does it have to replace the A-10 ?

The fact the USAF is now spending billions to keep the A-10 usable for a few more decades is pretty much saying it all. Not to mention that I think promoting the use of PGMs (which are usually fired from a distance and involving some prior planning before their use) kinda contradicts the term CLOSE air support. :tongue: