Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Jane's Fighters Anthology on Win 7 64-bit

I can't believe someone came up with a simple fix to getting Jane's Fighters Anthology to run correctly on Win 7 64-bit. The fix was actually created for another game (Starcraft), but someone else figured out that FA was suffering the same problem and therefore could be fixed using the same solution. Simply use a batch file to start the game. The original batch file posted for Starcraft didn't work for me, so I deleted parts that did not apply to me and edited the rest to fit Fighters Anthology. This is the text of the batch file I am using:

rem First kill Explorer.exe, which messes up the colors

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe

rem Change to the application directory

cd C:\JANES\Fighters Anthology

rem run the application

FA.EXE

rem Wait for the game to quit, press Enter to continue

pause

rem Restart Explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

exit

Edited by streakeagle

rem Restart Explorer.exestart explorer.exe

exit

rem Restart Explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

exit

:ok:

Janes FA works on my Vista 32 bit.

But i get graphics corruption once in a while.

Will this help fix it?

rem Restart Explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

exit

:ok:

Correct, must have deleted a <CR> when I posted this.

Janes FA works on my Vista 32 bit.

But i get graphics corruption once in a while.

Will this help fix it?

I don't know if this works for Vista, but it is graphics corruption that it fixes. The intro videos and menu screens looked terrible and the game looked worse, but with this fix, it looks 100% like it did in Win95/Win98 as far as I can tell and recall. This game looked so cool to me in 1998 when I played on a work laptop.

I know that this is a large bump, but I found this thread during a Google search.

Anyways, I have Windows 7 64-bit and I followed your instructions and I am now able to play the game without all the graphical problems! :)

However, I am having a huge issue with my mouse lagging and much of the game being choppy (although the flying itself is not choppy for some reason). I am able to fly fine with no lag at all, but I can't use the mouse very well at all for locking on and such. This is also a huge problem in the menus as my mouse is going all over the place trying to select which missiles to use and just going through the menus to get flying.

Do you know what may be causing my problem? I am using an ACER Aspire 7740G-6930, if that makes any difference.

Thank you!