Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

When the dust settles

These are Box office numbers (in US dollars) adjusted for inflation. Keep in mind that the average ticket price back in the day of "Gone with the Wind" was less than 30 cents, and during the mid 70s for "Jaws" and "Star Wars", they were 2 to 2.50 dollars, respectively. (I recall paying $1.50 to see "Jaws" during a weekday matinée in August of '75...that number is memorable, because most matinées were $1.00 back then!)

SOURCE LINK: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

wow...i recall that back in the good times here in brazil +- 1994-1995 when our currency were valorized 1 Real(brazil currency)=1 US dollar you could go make your weekend with 10 bucks 2R$ the cinema ticket and 5 the big mac combo, and you already had 3 bucks left !

Today here with 10 bucks you can't barely buy a half ticket to cinema in a weekend and if the thing is 3D you will die in 20 bucks for the half ticket in a decent theatre.

:good:

anyway, still nice to know that all media notices that everybody has noticed here that the movie that more gather money wasn't gone with the wind and yes titanic and all that stuff.

Thats interesting Ed.

wow...i recall that back in the good times here in brazil +- 1994-1995 when our currency were valorized 1 Real(brazil currency)=1 US dollar you could go make your weekend with 10 bucks 2R$ the cinema ticket and 5 the big mac combo, and you already had 3 bucks left !

Circa 1975, McDonald's slogan was a 'Big Mac, a medium order of fries, a regular-sized soft drink, and change back from your dollar"

Circa 1975, McDonald's slogan was a 'Big Mac, a medium order of fries, a regular-sized soft drink, and change back from your dollar"

:yikes: you're kiddin' me nowadays here it's deffinately a thief even if our big mac is one of cheapest of the world an order with a medium coke and medium fries is about R$15 bucks , this is about 8,50 Dollars, IIRC i've eated there for 6 dollars the combo.

Edited by Silverbolt

:yikes: you're kiddin' me nowadays here it's deffinately a thief even if our big mac is one of cheapest of the world an order with a medium coke and medium fries is about R$15 bucks , this is about 8,50 Dollars, IIRC i've eated there for 6 dollars the combo.

A Big Mac combo meal today is $5.59, in my area. Using Tom's Inflation Calculator ( http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html ), $5.59 in 2010 dollars adjusts to $1.28 in 1975 dollars, so that 1975 "under a dollar meal" was a screaming bargin, even by 1975 standards.

A Big Mac combo meal today is $5.59, in my area. Using Tom's Inflation Calculator ( http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html ), $5.59 in 2010 dollars adjusts to $1.28 in 1975 dollars, so that 1975 "under a dollar meal" was a screaming bargin, even by 1975 standards.

Nice find fubar! :clapping:

The price for a big mac menu in sweden is 8USD. That is everything medium.

Felt like sharing :dntknw:

The best gauge for a film is attendance, not money, and yes I think Avatar was #26 on that list last I looked? GWTW will always be #1 for several reasons.

The biggest is, of course, it came out when there was no TV. EVERYONE went to the movies back then, some weekly, as that's where the news reels were as well. Also, if you liked a film and wanted to see it again you HAD to see it in the theater on a re-release as there was no TV to see it on!

The media scene has permanently altered, and while someday a film might make more money than Avatar, no one will beat those old attendance records.

AVATAR is scheduled for general release DVD 5-20-10 at Netflicks, with the Blu Ray DVD not that far behind. The other "Masterpiece" was the 300 Spartans, you'd think Hollywierd would get the idea that the people ain't ready for Cartoons

Kirk Douglas are worm food,

Kirk Douglas is not dead yet.

Stubborn SOB, he's got to be older than dirt

He is 93.

The best gauge for a film is attendance, not money, and yes I think Avatar was #26 on that list last I looked? GWTW will always be #1 for several reasons.

The biggest is, of course, it came out when there was no TV. EVERYONE went to the movies back then, some weekly, as that's where the news reels were as well. Also, if you liked a film and wanted to see it again you HAD to see it in the theater on a re-release as there was no TV to see it on!

The media scene has permanently altered, and while someday a film might make more money than Avatar, no one will beat those old attendance records.

Coul it be the same for Star Wars? I don´t know other countries, but here it's been in TV very few times, and it took a lot of time for it to be released in Video.

About GWTW, it suffered 2 serious disadvantages against Avatar:

1) There were far less people in the world in 1939, and probably less places in the world with cinemas.

2) How many people had to give up Avatar for fear of a Luftwaffe air raid? :grin:

When SW came out, there was no home video or cable. Other than theatrical releases you had to wait for years for it to be on TV. By the time of the 3rd film, though, both home video and cable existed, albeit in only limited scope.

I seem to recall seeing SW on cable shortly after the 3rd film's release, even though both it and the 2nd one were rereleased prior to the 3rd film's debut. I clearly remember it took 4 years for the 3rd film to come out on video (don't know why I remember it was 1987, I just do). I think by the end of the 80s video releases were under a year. Now they can come out on DVD while still in limited play in a couple of venues.