Sign in to follow this  
Over50

Question for TIR users...

I read some comments in the General Hints sticky related to constant use of F12 to center the view on an enemy in a furball as respective positions change vs leaving the view centered forward and attempt to pan the view to try to keep up with an enemy. Is this accepted practice with TIR? I'm new to TIR (one week with the latest TIR5) and still learning my way around the settings and frankly attempting to keep an enemy in view with rapid panning view changes is not only disorienting but visually somewhat nauseating...

So again the question is: During a dogfight is constant use of F12 to keep the enemy in view range the preferred method vs leaving the view centered forward and panning to try to keep up?

Edited by Over50

I read some comments in the General Hints sticky related to constant use of F12 to center the view on an enemy in a furball as respective positions change vs leaving the view centered forward and attempt to pan the view to try to keep up with an enemy. Is this accepted practice with TIR? I'm new to TIR (one week with the latest TIR5) and still learning my way around the settings and frankly attempting to keep an enemy in view with rapid panning view changes is not only disorienting but visually somewhat nauseating...

So again the question is: During a dogfight is constant use of F12 to keep the enemy in view range the preferred method vs leaving the view centered forward and panning to try to keep up?

50, If you have a dark room with no external lights sources to muck things up

...there's little need to recenter

It's much like driving a car ...you look into the turn as you're making it

Occasional recentering may of course be necessary

Some take to TIR immediately, but it took me about 2 weeks to get used to it

Often I would get lost and loose my orientation to my plane

But after you get experienced you'll fly and fight looking all round very naturally

Good Luck M8,

50, If you have a dark room with no external lights sources to muck things up

...there's little need to recenter

It's much like driving a car ...you look into the turn as you're making it

Occasional recentering may of course be necessary

Some take to TIR immediately, but it took me about 2 weeks to get used to it

Often I would get lost and loose my orientation to my plane

But after you get experienced you'll fly and fight looking all round very naturally

Good Luck M8,

Thanks for the reply. My problem - or better put, one of the issues I'm having with TIR is if I adjust the panning range so I can pan 120 degrees (ballpark) from center to the left or right without shifting my head excessively the rapid rate of change result is where the nausea and disorientation becomes objectionable. Reducing the speed setting (and with Precision enabled or more smoothing cranked in) reduces the pan range to 90 degrees or less from center (and quells the nausea and disorientation) but then it also reduces my ability to stay focused on the enemy without turning my aircraft and by then I'm getting shot up. Just can't find a happy medium, thus my question about using F12 to shift the view center as I turn my plane.

Maybe a better question to ask is what is your pan view range (in approximate degrees) from center/forward that I can use as a reference?

Edited by Over50

OK, now I understand better

Unfortunately I'm still running TIR 4 with the old software (1/2 the forum now hammers Duce for not updating ...I know ...I know)

The software appears to be totally revamped so any advice I'd give there might be erronious

But I too had trouble with the fast pan rate at 1st

My solution was to reduce the total pan area ...reducing pan rate

I now couldn't see behind me

Next I setup Chase View from in front of my crate looking aft

To check my 6, I just popped into Chase View quickly

As I became more accustomed to TIR, I increased the pan rate until I could eventually look all around

HTH,

Edited by Duce Lewis

OK, now I understand better

Unfortunately I'm still running TIR 4 with the old software (1/2 the forum now hammers Duce for not updating ...I know ...I know)

The software appears to be totally revamped so any advice I'd give there might be erronious

But I too had trouble with the fast pan rate at 1st

My solution was to reduce the total pan area ...reducing pan rate

I now couldn't see behind me

Next I setup Chase View from in front of my crate looking aft

To check my 6, I just popped into Chase View quickly

As I became more accustomed to TIR, I increased the pan rate until I could eventually look all around

HTH,

I took your suggestion and reduced my pan range to (ballpark) 90 to 100 degrees which allowed me to invoke the Precision option which slows the pan rate and will do some experimenting with the momentary rear chase view. I still have about 3 weeks in the TIR return for refund window if I find it's just to much hassle for my vision circumstances and comfort.

There is another option Over50, with Trackir you can physically line up your target with the iron sights on your guns. You can also lean in to use the actual guages in the cockpit, and also lean out to some degree to help keep yourself straight when taxiing. Trackir is incredible, and indispensible once you get used to it.

I do use f12 sometimes, but it depends on the aircraft. The WW1 aircraft aren't so bad generally, because you see the engine and fuselage which gives you some degree of perspective and fixed points of reference. However some CFS3 aircraft, especially the Mosquito, are very hard to 'centre' manually. You line up your target for the perfect attack just to see your tracer squirting off on a tangent. I became a crack shot with my Tse-tse before I got trackir, and afterwards, well, it wasn't pretty.

I might suggest you tinker with your settings. You can make trackir less sensitive to suit your own taste, and once you get it right, it's well worth the effort.

Edit : Another tip which might help - zoom out a couple of clicks. You see more filling the screen. Use the [ and ] brackets. Sometimes you feel like you're flying with your nose squeezed up to the windshield. 'Sit back' and you get a better view.

Edited by Flyby PC

There is another option Over50, with Trackir you can physically line up your target with the iron sights on your guns. You can also lean in to use the actual guages in the cockpit, and also lean out to some degree to help keep yourself straight when taxiing. Trackir is incredible, and indispensible once you get used to it.

I do use f12 sometimes, but it depends on the aircraft. The WW1 aircraft aren't so bad generally, because you see the engine and fuselage which gives you some degree of perspective and fixed points of reference. However some CFS3 aircraft, especially the Mosquito, are very hard to 'centre' manually. You line up your target for the perfect attack just to see your tracer squirting off on a tangent. I became a crack shot with my Tse-tse before I got trackir, and afterwards, well, it wasn't pretty.

I might suggest you tinker with your settings. You can make trackir less sensitive to suit your own taste, and once you get it right, it's well worth the effort.

Edit : Another tip which might help - zoom out a couple of clicks. You see more filling the screen. Use the [ and ] brackets. Sometimes you feel like you're flying with your nose squeezed up to the windshield. 'Sit back' and you get a better view.

Thanks for the suggestions. Depending on what's happening in the game I do fly with zoom cranked in to increase my peripheral vision when just viewing forward in the cockpit. As for making TIR less sensitive, as I've posted previous this is where I'm running into issues where decreasing the pan rate also decreases the panning range which then causes having to turn my head excessively when panning the view. And increasing the pan rate (beneficial when in a dogfight for situational awareness) does reduce the needed head movement but it also increases the panning range and the combination of rapid view change (by increasing the speed) through a near 360 degree panning range looking left and right results in the motion nausea tendancy and disorientation. Just haven't been able to find a happy medium so far - and in my case, TIR may be just too much of a good thing visually (I wear trifocals) compared to using my hat switch in tandem with target lock programmed button on the joystick where I don't experience the motion problems and disorientation (with TIR). I still have a couple of weeks in 30 day return for refund window to try to find a liveable setup...

It's not a great suggestion, but have you tried out some of the profiles hosted on the Trackir website?

I see there's also a link to a forum. Might be a good idea to sign up and see if somebody can create or recommend a profile which might suit you better.

http://www.naturalpo...y-profiles.html

As a matter of fact, yes, I did register/join the TIR forum and have spend time browsing the TIR5 threads. But I wasn't aware of the available TIR profiles which I'll check out - and thanks for the suggestion.

Just to add to this book I've generated.....I've been reading through the TrackIR forum thread for the TIR5 and found the following posted by a NaturalPoint rep relative to the Speed and Smoothing setting in response to a user with very similar speed vs view range issues:

"My strong recommendation would be to keep the speed setting at or nearby 1 with the smoothing below 30. If you can do that, and get used to the results within a few days, you'll be getting the best precision out of the system."

So, I've played through a few quick mission one on one dogfights at the 1 speed and smoothing at 30 settings. At these settings the view from center is (as I mentioned prior) about 60 degrees from center with 90 degrees possible by quickly shifting my vision to look at the edge of my monitor. Limiting my view range to these parameters does help with the motion nausea issues - but - pretty much eliminates my ability to "look over my should" to try to stay forcused on the enemy after diving attack. I also moved my monitor back as much as I have room with gives me the optimal 24" to 28" distance from the TrackerIR on top of my monitor. All said, I guess I'll just have to resort to using the target lock option in tandem with the TIR and call it good if I intend on keeping the TIR....

Edited by Over50

Over50,

I'm like Duce and still running on the old stuff, but assuming profile editing is still similar I strongly recommend experimenting with that. I have mine set such that forward views within say a 30 to 40 degree arc is nice and smooth and softly incremental, i.e. low down on the profile band. The profile ramps up exponentially outside that arc such that a 'positive' (can't think of another term)

head turn to the right looks 90 degrees right and a rapid head turn to the right looks over my right shoulder. It feels natural to me... if I'm 'snatching' a look behind I quickly look at one or other edge of my monitor... if I'm exploring the sky, I move my head slowly.

Hope that is still relevant.. and helps.

I took your suggestion and reduced my pan range to (ballpark) 90 to 100 degrees which allowed me to invoke the Precision option which slows the pan rate and will do some experimenting with the momentary rear chase view. I still have about 3 weeks in the TIR return for refund window if I find it's just to much hassle for my vision circumstances and comfort.

Hope it works for you M8! good.gif

Lot of other good ideas to try out here too

Another tip is to deaden your Center Position

I set 2 points on boths sides of Dead Center to Zero for both the X and Y Axis

This allows a stable zone in the middle for aiming