Sign in to follow this  

Think my 8800GTX is dying. Saw this anomally while flying few mins ago. What do you guys think?

Falcon

I have the 8800GTS 512 and that has happend to me aswell. I suspect its the drivers, havent taken the time to fix it tho or check if its true :P

That's a sign of VRAM dying.

GeForce 4200s were especially notorious for that "checkerboard" issue, especially since a few card manufacturers used to OC the bejeebers out of them, even before the end-users attempted to tweak them even more...

Perform a Google search for "geforce checkerboard issue" and you'll see that it's been a known issue for some time.

GeForce 4200s were especially notorious for that "checkerboard" issue, especially since a few card manufacturers used to OC the bejeebers out of them, even before the end-users attempted to tweak them even more...

Perform a Google search for "geforce checkerboard issue" and you'll see that it's been a known issue for some time.

Funny thing is that its only in SF2 series and not in any other game i play.

Funny thing is, my vehicle pings on pump gas while attempting to maintain 120 mph uphill, but not downhill...... :blink:

Sf2 series demands a lot more from your Vid card than other sims.

Edited by ezlead

So, I need to buy another card since my VRAM is dying?

Falcon

So, I need to buy another card since my VRAM is dying?

Falcon

Well, before coming to that conclusion, try this: if you have any of the original (1st generation) ThirdWire titles, try running them at the same resolution & eye-candy level, and see if you experience the same issue.

Will do, still have WOI installed, will check tomorrow, my plate is full tonight.

Falcon

Aside from drivers, it could easily be a heat issue. I get artifacts like that if my card gets too hot.

And how hard the card works may not always make sense. If I leave Arma sitting unattended for more than a minute or two, it hangs and gets corruption like that and I can hear the fan going into overdrive but that doesn't happen in far more graphically intense games, like Far Cry 2.

If you're doing 'gaming',the more extra fans in the case the better.

I have stock fans plus 2 extra 4 inch highspeed fans one in back and one inside of case.

Yes,they get noisy,but I use stereo headphones so I don't wake up the missus and the neighbors when I'm hammering away at a bogie.

Although,my wife wonders who I'm swearing at sometimes.

Did a test flight a hour ago in WOI, the graphics looked very jaggy as if the AA wasn't on (it is on). I have a hunch that the in game AA is on by default. Later I'll look at the WOI opttions.ini file and see whats up. But I didn't see any checkered patterns though. Will do more testing before I buy the expansion pack.

Falcon

Well after fiddling the WOI options.ini file, I couldn't get the jaggies go away and my hi res weapons in WOI looked very dull too. So I said f@ck it and decided to uninstall WOI when I get the SF2I Expansion pack (maybe tonight) since I don't play WOI anymore.

I did testing in SF2I to see if the checkered pattern was still there. It wasn't. Everything looked fine until I rtb and after I looked at the map I got this:

I think its a heat issue but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? I get this every now and then but not really often.

Falcon

Falcon, the last time I looked, there were several nice (and free) video card twaeking and testing utilities out there. Find one that benchmarks or stresses your VRAM, and see if it duplicates the issue.

Falcon, the last time I looked, there were several nice (and free) video card twaeking and testing utilities out there. Find one that benchmarks or stresses your VRAM, and see if it duplicates the issue.

Thank you so much of helping me. I'll look for those utilities tonight. If you go to Dayton sometime, I'll buy you a drink and bring you to the USAF Museum :).

Falcon