Sign in to follow this  
phantom67

OFF Newbie here

Hey guys I just got OFF up and running, and I've got a few questions.

First off, the game seems to be running a tad sluggish. I've got an Intel Core2Duo E7500 (2.93Ghz), 4Gb of DDR1066 RAM, an ATI 4870X2, and I'm running Vista x64. I've got all the graphics settings on 4, and I'm running the game in 1920x1080. The game isn't really lagging as such, but it doesn't feel quite as smooth as I'd like. Anything I can do to improve performance?

Secondly, regarding the cockpit view. I don't own a TrackIR, so I'm forced to use the POV hat on my Joystick to look around, except when I use, the view 'jumps' rather than pan smoothly, is there any way to change this?

And finally, is there a way to turn off the little radar/minimap in the top left corner of the screen when you're flying? It kills the immersion IMO.

Thats all for now

Where are you from, Noob? PM me. If you're in the US or Canada, I may be able to assist you with your problem!

Edited by Cameljockey

Scroll Lock should change your pan view to smooth. You should really consider Trackir, it really makes a big difference.

Welcome to OFF!

Crossbones

So I've reinstalled the game in the correct order, and tbh I've got mixed feelings about this game. I want to give it a change, but its difficult. I've 'tweaked' my graphics settings as suggested in the FAQ, despite the fact that I shouldn't REALLY have to given my system specs and taking into account how old this engine is. First time I ran the game, I got a CTD, second time I ran it, the texture on my plane was all messed up, like the plane's texture wasn't properly lined up with the model or something like that, and the game still felt really sluggish. That, and I'm a little bit dissappointed with the crash sequences. When you hit the ground, it just dumps you straight to the menu, you don't even get to see your plane blow up or anything :/ Its hard to get immersed in the game with so many outstanding issues. Feels more like a mod than something you have to pay money for. Speaking of which, when I bought HitR, the first time I downloaded it, it got to about 75%, their server dropped, which I wasn't too happy about.

Of course, I'm open to suggestions at improving my game, and I'd be happy to give it another try if someone can offer me some solutions to my problems.

Edited by phantom67

Not being cheeky but have you got a legit CFS3 to build from? Sounds like something is wrong regarding CTD's textures and sluggishness. A common fault with no-cd CFS3 versions was the updates wouldn't install properly and systems would misbehave.

The cut scenes you get in CFS3 were taken out, and while I did miss them at first, I'm used to it now. If you want to see crashes, - start shooting stuff down.

The whole OFF world is a mod, and as far as I'm concerned, it's very rare to get a mod which is such a massively vast improvement on raw CFS3.

Take a look at some OFF videos on youtube or the homepage. If your system isn't looking the same, then you can be sure something still isn't right with yours.

My CFS3 disc is very much legit. I've turned some of my graphics down a bit, obviously I've been overestimating my system, either that or CFS3 is just REALLY badly optimised on ATI cards. Either way, it runs a bit better now, however, I've still got a few more issues. I was flying a Halberstadt D II or something earlier on, and while I was in the cockpit, my props kept dissappearing, like it was flickering or something, which I thought was a bit weird. Anyway, its all pretty minor compared to the issues I had before.

Will keep tweaking the game. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks like an amazing game, I'm just having trouble getting it to run 100%.

Welcome to OFF, phantom67

The radar can be switched on or off with Shift + T - it can also be drawn into the lower left corner

by clicking and holding it with your mouse.

The hat view can be in two modes; I call them "fixed angles view" and "pan view" - you can select

them in "Controls" (press "escape" in game; click "controls"). If you put both commands on a

joystick key, you can use "pan view" for patrolling, and "fixed angles view" for fighting.

But if you are into the whole great experience, there is no way around TrackIR.

That device is just phantastic to use!

All graphics on 4 is not the solution; try aircraft on 5, and set "scenery detail" on 3 or even 2 to gain performance.

It will still look great. Also you may move "terrain detail" to 3.

Your CPU seems to be your weak spot, it could be faster. However old the engine of CFS3 may be,

the sim as it is now is quite demanding, and offers you great graphics and action.

Never heard of such strange graphic glitches as you have.

If you think, watching your plane crash would make the immersion for you - well, you haven't flown the campaigns

yet; they are as immersive as can be. Immersion really is the most used word here on the forum.

Please send me a PM with your hometown and country/state - I'd like to add you to our OFF Forum Pilots Maps.

Edited by Olham

Yeah I'm starting to get the hang of the controls. I'll play around with my graphics settings a bit more to see if it will achieve anything

Cheers

"So I've reinstalled the game in the correct order, and tbh I've got mixed feelings about this game."

Hi Phants,

As far as I know, if you reinstall, you have to go back into the graphics config and do your tweaking all over again - if you've already done that, fine, but it's still worth going back to check it's all as you expect it to be. And don't forget to note or take a screenshot of your graphics settings!

Cheers,

Si