Sign in to follow this  
Ryan H

Destroying aces

Guys,

1st off: its been a while, glad to be back!

Ok, so I've got a budding young French ace "Daniel Gue" flying a Nieup 11 for Esc.3 now; he's doing quite well (not to jinx myself!) and just yesterday he scored a monumental victory! He shot down not only Oswald Boelcke but Max Immelmann as well, in the same flight! Now I know the 11's are superior to the EIII's but hey, two aces in one flight isnt bad no matter how you slice it right?! So I'm pretty pleased with myself here, and move onto the next day. Its a scramble mission, I think to myself "Great, bring the krauts to me this time!!!" and happily jump into my trusty 11. Into the sky I go to meet the doomed EIII's, and to my horror I see that that both Boelcke and Immelmann have RISEN FROM THE DEAD!!! What gives?! yikes.gif

OK, so I know that aces are set to die on their historically accurate date of death (which I totaly understand); but suppose I want to "change history", how would I do so? Now most of my background comes from car racing simulators for the PC where I am pretty experienced with moding files that "arent supposed to be modded" so I know my way around files and folders, and editing. Suppose I make a backup of the appropriate files first, what do I have to delete/change to just eliminate aces that I've taken care of? My theory is: find Boelcke's file or whatever aces I've shot down and delete them. Then when/if my pilot dies, just put them back in place when I start my next campaign. What files am I looking for in this case?

Thanks for reading my long winded question guys good.gif

Welcome back, Ryan! Well, you won't expect to be able to change history, eyh?

Imagine, the Germans would try to win that war again! Better not....

Don't expect a constructive answer on this from the devs.

You cannot change when the Ace dies, if you shoot one down he crashes and survives until the actual date of his death, otherwise all our historical facts would be rewritten, skins unneeded, which ace is in which squadron and when, would change etc too many variables.

And equally important to remember is that shooting someone down didn't always result in killing the pilot. I believe the fellow in his red Fokker DR 1 was shot down at least once once, possibly twice, before being killed the final time. I'm sure that there are other aces who survived being shot down only to climb back into the cockpit again and seek revenge in the skies.

Hellshade

cfs3 most probably doesn't even report this information

The Devs had a tough enough time figuring out where the player's crate landed/crashed after each flight

IIRC they still don't know the speed/angle of impact for player crashes

Trying to decipher where all the AI crashed and how hard would be near impossible

Hellshade, MvR made an emergency landing in an Albatros, which had a fuel leakage after

being hit in combat. He put it down next to a road, unharmed.

Then he was hit by a single bullet at the rear of his head, which almost cost his live, cause

he unconscious for a while, and couldn't move his arms or legs.

Had he been an Entente pilot, he would probably never have got so high kill numbers;

he could have become a POW on one of these occasions.

That explains very well, why it is easier to pile big kill numbers on the German side.