Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

agility of MiG-23

This video shows a czech MiG-23ML in an air show flight display.

In contrary to the common belief this bird is astonishingly agile.

Sure not bad. But anyway that one is a MiG-23ML so of the latest and refined models that were lighter, stronger and with better wings.

I was going to say; the later models were an improvement. Earlier models, like those tested by the 4477th were attrocious in a turning fight, departed very quickly and unexpectedly, but had extraordinary acceleration.

Guest rscsjsuso5

great video , thanks gepard, china really learned alot from the mig 23 engine design upon evaluation purposes. another video you guys might be interested is

don't know which model it is or variant .

thanks gepard

The other issue was maintenance. Many of the client states and most of the 3rd world ones had trouble keeping the Flogger in top form because it was an order of magnitude more complex than the MiG-21 to maintain. Who cares how good the plane flies and fights if it's sitting in a hangar?

This video shows a czech MiG-23ML in an air show flight display.

In contrary to the common belief this bird is astonishingly agile.

Great vid, love the Flogger.... good.gif

About 26 seconds for a 360 at low level i.e. some 14 degr/sec.

Guess indeed a lot better than the older versions but still not spectacular. Saw an Hungarian MF demo at Eindhoven AB and it sure was impressive !!!!!!!

And those were the days at European airshows: look at the line up on the ground on te vid ...........

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Its true. Its a show. No armament, low on fuel. But if i compare it with the F-4F i have seen at airshows the MiG-23ML is much better.

I have spoken with old german MiG-23 jocks and they told me, that the ML agility was not as bad, especially if the wing was at medium wing position. They also told me, that the MiG-23 was flown permanently with autopilot support. Without this support the bird became beasty. So i think, that the american pilots who tested the MiG-23 had flown that bird with switched off autopilot. Perhaps the egyptians, who gave away their MiG-23 to the US, made a little joke to offer the plane, but not the neccessary manuals.

Edited by Gepard

We computer gamers forget the reason for -23 and -17 swing wing was to improve airfield performance so airbases would not have to be overly large and even more vulnerable. In that regard, even "early" -23 did okay compared to if it had, say, a fixed tailed delta wing. Granted, airfield performance is not "fun" dogfighting, but I thought I'd toss it out anyway.

I always understood that the Mig-23 was roughly comparable to the Phantom but with better acceleration.