Sign in to follow this  
OvS

OT: Dio is Dead.

For those that love Heavy Metal, like I do... it's a sad day in our lives. The little man with the huge voice is gone...

Here is a small tribute to him... at 67, this man sung "The Mob Rules" like he was 20, over and over again. Unlike others that try to hold on at this age, and sound like dying birds... Dio got younger with age.

http://new.music.yah...news/--62001717

Hell just got a lot louder.... :cool:

OvS

Edited by OvS

I'm not a heavy rock fan, but I know how it feels, when one of your great musiscians goes.

It struck me quite a bit, when Richard Wright from the Pink Floyd died.

And yes, that sounds would fit better in hell - the angels above might not like the noise.

Rest in peace, Ronnie.

Edited by Olham

Dio was awesome. Not too easy on the eyes, but a hell of a singer. RIP RJ!

I was sad to hear that.

Dio is on heavy rotation in my Zune (Microsoft's version of an IPOD - cheaper and almost as good). I particularly like "Rainbow in the Dark", "King of Rock and Roll" and "The Mob Rules" (from his Sabbath days). He'll live on with every headbanger who waves the "horns" during a concert. Too bad that it won't be long before people forget he was the one who started it. Farewell, Ronnie. Salute.gif

I was sad to hear that.

Dio is on heavy rotation in my Zune (Microsoft's version of an IPOD - cheaper and almost as good). I particularly like "Rainbow in the Dark", "King of Rock and Roll" and "The Mob Rules" (from his Sabbath days). He'll live on with every headbanger who waves the "horns" during a concert. Too bad that it won't be long before people forget he was the one who started it. Farewell, Ronnie. Salute.gif

Sort-of ... like any Sicilian knows... it's a hex sign.. he told VH-1 he ripped it from his Nona (Grandmother). :grin:

Just like Rob Halford started the whole denim, leather and spike look to Heavy Metal ... who knew he was leathered and spiked up because he was gay. :blink:

OvS

Sorry to hear that one of your favorite singers died, he wasn't my type of music, but I sympathize. :salute:

Lena Horn also died just a week ago. She was a pretty amazing singer/actress with 4 Grammy awards and helped integrate Hollywood. A lot older though, at 92, where as your singer, Ronnie Deo, was only 67, just a few years older then me. Makes me realize that I need to start taking better care of myself. Lynn Redgrave also died at age 67 just a few weeks ago. I guess we'll see more and more of this as we get older, not something you think much about in your 20's-50's

Just like Rob Halford started the whole denim, leather and spike look to Heavy Metal ... who knew he was leathered and spiked up because he was gay. blink.gif

Rob Halford is gay? No way! Next thing you know you'll be telling that Freddie Mercury was, too.yikes.gif

Sorry to hear that one of your favorite singers died, he wasn't my type of music, but I sympathize. :salute:

Lena Horn also died just a week ago. She was a pretty amazing singer/actress with 4 Grammy awards and helped integrate Hollywood. A lot older though, at 92, where as your singer, Ronnie Deo, was only 67, just a few years older then me. Makes me realize that I need to start taking better care of myself. Lynn Redgrave also died at age 67 just a few weeks ago. I guess we'll see more and more of this as we get older, not something you think much about in your 20's-50's

No one sung the ABC's on Sesame Street like Lena Horn.... it was almost sexy for a little while... Aunti Lena... ;)

Big fan of Dio since 1980 but I'm not sad; I never knew the man. I have plenty of his Sabbath/solo cds that I'll continue playing just I have for the last 30 years.

BTW, I've known a lot of gay people (many of them musicians) in my life and none of them wore leather and spikes; i.e., one's clothing preference does not denote one's sexual preference. Paul Di'Anno outspiked Halford on the Killers tour and trust me, he ain't gay.

Big fan of Dio since 1980 but I'm not sad; I never knew the man. I have plenty of his Sabbath/solo cds that I'll continue playing just I have for the last 30 years.

BTW, I've known a lot of gay people (many of them musicians) in my life and none of them wore leather and spikes; i.e., one's clothing preference does not denote one's sexual preference. Paul Di'Anno outspiked Halford on the Killers tour and trust me, he ain't gay.

That's not what I meant. You're thinking in today's mindset as an adult, exposed to life... which in that mindset you are 100% correct ... think of life back in the early 80's... as a 12-14 year old, and finding out you're head banging idol was gay. Sorry, back then, it was a hard nut to swallow. Do I care now? Absolutely not.

To add... my boss is gay and I have coffee (tea) with him at least once a week... chinwag he calls it. We just know the subject boundaries not to cross... both of us. :good:

OvS

That's not what I meant. You're thinking in today's mindset as an adult, exposed to life... which in that mindset you are 100% correct ... think of life back in the early 80's... as a 12-14 year old, and finding out you're head banging idol was gay. Sorry, back then, it was a hard nut to swallow. Do I care now? Absolutely not.

To add... my boss is gay and I have coffee (tea) with him at least once a week... chinwag he calls it. We just know the subject boundaries not to cross... both of us. good.gif

OvS

You mean like Ginsing Herb tea, as opposed to French Roast? grin.gif

...you're head banging idol was gay. ...it was a hard nut to swallow.

OOOOkkkk...we'll just let that one slide then. :cool:

the last in line... RIP Dio

Tofke

Must just be me. Been a Priest fan, too, from 1980, when I was 14. Found out he was gay through a mutual friend. Certainly put a different spin on Desert Plains but I didn't care. Same with Accept. People were making fun of "London Leatherboys" but I thought--and still think--it rocked.

But I understand your point, OVS, and it's a good one. Maturity is a good thing; it also causes me not to have fun with your third sentence, although immaturity causes me to at least bring it up, anyway. :grin:

Must just be me. Been a Priest fan, too, from 1980, when I was 14. Found out he was gay through a mutual friend. Certainly put a different spin on Desert Plains but I didn't care. Same with Accept. People were making fun of "London Leatherboys" but I thought--and still think--it rocked.

But I understand your point, OVS, and it's a good one. Maturity is a good thing; it also causes me not to have fun with your third sentence, although immaturity causes me to at least bring it up, anyway. :grin:

LOL!... yeah... I should have chose my words better... :grin:

Accept... awesome, sad they didn't last long in the mainstream light. I thought for sure Udo would be the next AC/DC lead... but glad the way it all turned out. Motorhead fan as well... :cool:

I'm actually taking my 9 year old daughter to see Rush in July. Should be a good intro to solid rock music. She's looking forward to it.

OvS

Seems we like a lot of the same music. AC/DC and Maiden are my favorites. Love Motorhead, Priest, Sabbath, early Krokus, Saxon, early Leppard, UFO, etc.

Enjoy the Rush gig. Living in Naples there isn't much that comes through here (last gig I saw was The Wiggles). Hopefully Maiden will play in Tampa or Miami on the upcoming tour.

When Pete Townshend dies, I am not gonna leave the house for weeks. Will listen to every Who album I got, quietly mourning. Then I will make a plastic surgery on my nose to double its size so that I will look a lot more like him. :lol: