Sign in to follow this  
MBot

The eyecandy thread

Here comes the thread for your wildest eyecand fantasys. Of course you can discuss about the usefullnes of eyecandys, but that isn't the subject here :)

-Raindrops on the cannopy.

-Rain streaking down the cannopy in heavy rain.

-If you fly too long low level above the sea, the windscreen gets "crusted up" with salt. One Skyhawk was lost in a landing accident because of this and later seaskimming time was limitted.

-Iced up refueling probes and pitots.

-Groundcrews on carriers and airbases.

-birds ( the animals :) )

Erm, can't remeber anything right now. Go ahead :)

-Raindrops on the cannopy.

-Rain streaking down the cannopy in heavy rain.

Yes. Bad weather should look bad.

-If you fly too long low level above the sea, the windscreen gets "crusted up" with salt. One Skyhawk was lost in a landing accident because of this and later seaskimming time was limitted.

If this was an important problem at the time, model it.

A simple way to implement it graphically would be to modify the transparancy of the glass or fading in a texture.

-Iced up refueling probes and pitots.

Would modeling the thing require extra graphics?

I would think that it would be noticed by erroneous readings from the speedometer and malfunctions during refueling.

Or would big chunks of ice be visible to the pilot?

I would like to see functional groundcrews.

Not loads of them but a few of them waving their arms to point where you should taxi.

Would be particularly usefull on a cramped carrier.

-birds ( the animals :) )

Depends on how much time it takes to render them.

Swarms of birds could be drawn as alternative "clouds" but modeling lots of individual birds could be a bit too much.

I like functionality too, like birdstrikes.

Penguins should fall over when you overfly them!

With Birds, do we get bird strikes, I've had to help and clean more than one aircraft after a birdstrike. I've seen windscreens busted and seen them all over inside of a wheelwell once. "Not a Pleasant experience" :D

I'd like to see troops on the ground.

Are we gonna get to blow up units on the ground? And is there going to be amphibious tanks such as the Scorpion and the M113A2?

Ground units and Scorpions will be featured, of course - walking soldiers, will be a tough job to animate (run for cover, aim, crouch, and all) but will be worth as the war on Falklands ground was fought by men, in fierce firefights with rather small units.

The birds strikes aren't that far fetched either, we model the bird (a seagull for example) and it has a colision mesh just like a plane model, causing damage if impacted (like of a bullet damage if hit at high speed). I've always tought of setting up some of such 3d bird models and giving them coherent patterns around the islands coastlines, it is technically feasible, just demands time (and could add some new bugs as well...)

The crusted windscreen maybe is the most simple to implement. Just another .tga alpha channeled texture for cockpit cover, with a variable opacity value (maximum value = can't see anything, could crash like the aforementionated argie plane). Raindrops are also possible to do. All this demands some development time of course.

Groundcrews doing their jobs, hmmm I like the idea of ground crew pointing their arms/giving the way over the deck or airstrips - It's quite complicated to do, but I've saw something slightly like that being done in Vietnam Medevac helo sim but its depiction was rather simple - also D.I. Super Hornet had static deck crews as well.

Cool to hear Dante. You guys already tough of everyting we come up with :) I hope you find the time to implement some of these.

I have come up with another thing. It isn't exactly eyecandy only, but also has impact on gameplay. Wet or snowed up runways that affect take off runs or even cause sliding when breaking ( aquaplaning effect ). To wetter the runway to more leinght you need ( or you have to reduce loadout ). Would be especialy interesting on long runners like the Mirage.

I can already imagine an take-off leinght calulator in the briefing section of the game, where you can enter values for takeoff weight, wind, temperature, air pressure and runway conditions and then the tool calculates the runway you need. Under good conditions you might even try a Skyhawk sortie out of Stanley :)

To come back to the eyecandy part, jetwash on wet runways would lead to some neat effects :) But of course there are more important things to do...

Edited by MBot

bird strikes :)

maybe i am sick, but having flocks of birds to plow through makes me grin :D

US navy fighters had a little guy on the aircraft carrier with those light wands directing you to start engines, get ready to launch, etc.

US navy fighters had a little guy on the aircraft carrier with those light wands directing you to start engines, get ready to launch, etc.

That would be cool! Especially under stormy skies. :P

It adds some "atmosphere" to air ops in both, the brit carriers and the argentinian carrier, especially under stormy skies (considering that the weather was good for flying anyway, hehe).

Furthermore, something similar for airfields would be good as well (thinking about the ground crew).

Edited by Mothman

How about some real DX9 features...(don't ask me what, but lets have a flighsim with these features...)

Pitching and rolling carrier desks..

How about some real DX9 features...(don't ask me what, but lets have a flighsim with these features...)

Pitching and rolling carrier desks..

with rolling pens and sliding paper?

the officers will need paper weights.

Yes I know..Normal Mapping for ships superestructures and/or coastline rocky formations in the isles, and the subtle lighting glow in the whole scene (like in that upcoming WW2 game Brothers In Arms despite very subtle, it gives a realistic feel to open scenes

It's all advanced shaders programming, and unfortunately, our skilled programming team still needs someone with this knowledge - current JT iteration is more or less like the original IL2 regarding graphical features (and it's OGL) - so, if anybody with shader/DX9 programming skills/realtime post-production shader effects wish to volunteer to help us, contact us, you'll be very welcome!

Yes I know..Normal Mapping for ships superestructures and/or coastline rocky formations in the isles, and the subtle lighting glow in the whole scene (like in that upcoming WW2 game Brothers In Arms despite very subtle, it gives a realistic feel to open scenes

It's all advanced shaders programming, and unfortunately, our skilled programming team still needs someone with this knowledge - current JT iteration is more or less like the original IL2 regarding graphical features (and it's OGL) - so, if anybody with shader/DX9 programming skills/realtime post-production shader effects wish to volunteer to help us, contact us, you'll be very welcome!

Oh boy, I pray someone reads this !

would be really big fun to be able to do that. As to salt on the canopy, flying and action at low level is something I enjoy much in my sims. these kind of details would be fun.

It would be good if when going supersonic in the Mirage you see the condensation form in the shockwave, im not sure if the harrier can go supersonic in a dive, the F-86 could just go over M1.0 diving, so maybe....

would be really big fun to be able to do that. As to salt on the canopy, flying and action at low level is something I enjoy much in my sims. these kind of details would be fun.

About the salt: a ground crewman of the Skyhawks solved the issue about the salt sometime during the conlict. In Carballo's book (an argentinian A-4B Captain during the conflict), it says that the guy discovered some liquid mix for cleaning that prevented the salt to stick to the windscreen during the missions. B)

"Salt in the cockpit"... that would add some challenge to the game. lol.

Edited by Mothman