Sign in to follow this  
Nesher

Irani Tomcat Crashed after Training

F-14_iranian_s.jpg

2 Irani pilots died after bad landing during training mission, on June 21st

investigation is held to find the reasons for the Crash

it was confirmed by Irani Officials

I was under the impression that none of their F-14s were flyable, due to unavailability of parts, etc....

Am not surprised at the report of a crash; but am even more puzzled that they were able to get one in the air.

Navy Chief

That was an old F-14. I think they still fly with ducktape and rope around the plane.

It is sorry for the families of the crew.

I thougt that there was/is in America still an F-14 flying in Iranian colours, it was never delivered after the coupe.

Salute

Dutchy

NC,

Looks like they got some parts planes now....

<C>

Fates

thoughts to the pilots families,

and on antoher hand

it makes up 2 of their planes, for the 3 boats they nicked from us this week,

but seriously thoughts for the pilots families

That's true, but I'm with Chief, I figured after Gruman and the US stopped supporting them, the jets basically rotted on on the tarmack, which is probably why it crashed.

I was under the impression that none of their F-14s were flyable, due to unavailability of parts, etc....

Am not surprised at the report of a crash; but am even more puzzled that they were able to get one in the air.

Maybe our little buds in the nkpaf or the chi-com af helped reverse engineer the birds?,or least remove/replace parts as needed?...some yrs ago the israelis did something such,they re-engined their mirages and got themselves a neat bird..

Maybe our little buds in the nkpaf or the chi-com af helped reverse engineer the birds?,or least remove/replace parts as needed?...some yrs ago the israelis did something such,they re-engined their mirages and got themselves a neat bird..

yep.... the Kfir (or Cfir, same thing)

you know the Kfir as F-21 Aggressor :D

There is an aircraft magazine from England that lists all the mishaps monthly. I guess I'll be buying it again just to see what happed. A long time ago I saw an article stating that the Irannis did indeed reverse-engineered the Tomcat. And I dont recall it stating whether they had outside help. Just because a country's image is of being in the 7th century doesn't mean that they dont have an intelligent workforce.

Too bad for the pilots though. But high time airframes and sub standard maintenance and parts will kill just as sure as a bullet.

Thats the one. I remember picking it up one time and finding a helo that I worked on listed. No one at the unit was saying much about the mishap, but it was in there for all the world to see :lol:

Ya I thought the American techs sabotaged the aircrafts ability to fire Phoenix missiles and support was cut off when Iran became our enemy so to speak.

Ya I thought the American techs sabotaged the aircrafts ability to fire Phoenix missiles and support was cut off when Iran became our enemy so to speak.

sabotaged the aircrafts ability to fire Phoenix missiles and support was cut off when Iran became our enemy so to speak

far as its known their birds never had the aim-54s,guess our folks in iran were so to speak hostages.....

Scout is right, the State Dept. and the DOD quite rightly decided that the Radar and AIM-54's were too sensitive to be put in that part of the world. How much the Soviets or ChiComs would have payed for either would have put alot of money in a traitors pocket.

I had a bud in the Navy that was literally smuggeled out of there during the coup. He was a TechRep from Lockheed at the time and was to support their P-3's.