Sign in to follow this  
Argentine Pucara

Favorite Falkand's War Aircraft

which one's your favorite aircraft of the conflict?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. which one's your favorite aircraft of the conflict?

• Super Etendards
    • Sea Harriers
    • Mirages III
    • Daggers
    • Pucaras
    • A-4A Skyhawks
    • Harriers
    • Vulcans
    • Other

If an Aermacchi pilot showed guts by spotting the Britsh fleet, then I guess we should give the credit to the pilot instead of the Aermacchi he was flying. Anyway the main point is that the Aermacchi weren't of much use during the Falklands war.

no that was that 707

:search: Don't blame me, Mothman said it was an Aermacchi.

An Aermachi was the first or second (to a Pucara) to spot the fleet in San Carlos bay the 21st May (i do not remember now). The 707 spotted the Task Force in the South Atlantic before it reached the theater of operations.

Hi... I'm new in here. I discoverd your project reacently as I got into the ECV56 Forum... I realy love the Idea of a falklnad air battle simulator and feel verry exited about its reelese date!! In the mean time i would like to give my vote to the Mirage III... I guess it is because I always wanted to see an FAA Mirage in a flight sim (Not counting Ms Flight sim.. there is no action there :biggrin: !).

Thank you all! Keep dooing your wonderfull job

Welcome, Puremagic. :)

And about helicopters? :huh:

We should create another poll for that one.

I like the Augusta A109 (if i remember well the name).

And what about the Aermacchis? You gotta give the italians some credit! Those Aermacchis engaged the Royal Navy with just rockets and guns, after all.

I guess its true... Aermacchis realy deserve some credit... If i would like to see that in the flight sim it would look like this:

MacchiCrippa1024.jpg

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Go ahead and vote for your favorite. As for me I'm deciding between the Super Etendard or the IA-58 Pucara. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Its nice to see a Malvinas/Falklands war flight sim as a proyect.

I´ve flown the Pucará and Mirage 5 many years, and love both of them. I`m quite happy to see people that would like to know and experience what our pilots had to face in those months of 1982 winter.

S!

Gato.

As for the Dagger, I must admit that they were pretty usefull to the Argentines during the Falklands War since an Argentine captain called Donadille shot down a Sea Harrier while flying his Dagger.

I think you'd better check your history. NO Harriers were shot down in air-to-air combat during the Falkland Campaign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_Harrier

A total of twenty Sea Harriers were deployed from HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible, and they inflicted serious losses on the Argentine air force destroying 23 aircraft in air-to-air combat. In all three Sea Harriers were lost to ground fire, but none was lost to enemy aircraft.

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchro...pr/duffner.html

In spite of its spectacular successes against British ships, Argentina lost the air-to-air war decisively. Argentine fighter aircraft failed to shoot down a single Harrier. British Harrier losses totaled nine--four to accidents and five by surface-based air defenses

never the less. we think that they are not invincible aircraft. difficult and trickski for sure though.

there is a bit of a feeling that the argies could do better. sim pilots do a lot of virtual flying and might be sort of ace like in comparison to the guys who were flung against the brits.

They had some very well trained units, but they were held in reserve to defend the capital and to deter chilean agression. From what we've gathered, the pilots who went upgainst the sea harrier pilots were not intensively trained in ACM whereas sea harrier pilots, there main task was supposed to be fleet protection - interception.

in war games, french mirages made mincemeat out of harriers.

I think you'd better check your history. NO  Harriers were shot down in air-to-air combat during the Falkland Campaign.

A total of twenty Sea Harriers were deployed from HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible, and they inflicted serious losses on the Argentine air force destroying 23 aircraft in air-to-air combat. In all three Sea Harriers were lost to ground fire, but none was lost to enemy aircraft.

In spite of its spectacular successes against British ships, Argentina lost the air-to-air war decisively. Argentine fighter aircraft failed to shoot down a single Harrier. British Harrier losses totaled nine--four to accidents and five by surface-based air defenses

14 harriers was shot down by ground fire.

artilleriaerea.jpg

rolandkillatfalklands0018jx.jpg

Edited by skyhawk-arg

I think you'd better check your history. NO  Harriers were shot down in air-to-air combat during the Falkland Campaign.

Hi Bob. welcome to these forums.

I cannot remember the source, but i recall having read somewhere that one of the Harriers that is listed as lost due to an accident was damaged by cannon fire from a Dagger before the accident. :grin: If that's true, I would say it was a lucky shot but anyway the pilot would hav to praised.

About the air-to-air war, it is arguable. After all, there were no argentinian fighter armed for air-to-air combat after May 1st. This was the result of a decission to keep the Mirage III in the continent after the Vulcan's mission from Ascension Island that proved that the RAF could attack Argentina's mainland air bases from there. Anyway, it was a good call, because the Sidewinder AIM-B, the Matra Magic, and the Shafrir Air-to-Air missiles could not compete against the AIM-9L, afaik.

Furthermore, the main goal of the Sea Harriers was to achieve air superiority = deny the airspace over the islands = prevent enemy air activity over the islands, etc... The Argentinian Air Force kept flying until the last day of the battle, flying supplies to the islands, performing attack missions and high altitude bombing mission by the Canberras duing the night.

It was an air war of "attrition", that if it lasted it would have been won by the Harriers anyway. But in some books it is said it was a "tie", if there is such thing in war. Beside, i am convinced that the argentinian aircraft would have to be grounded soon because of lack of air fuel and spare parts if the combat lasted longer than it actually did, even before the Harriers could shot them all down.

To be realistic, without argentinian fighters armed with air-to-air missiles after may 1st and with the aircraft's operational restrictions (range, e.g.), the only thing for a Harrier pilot to really worry about is the Harrier itself: it was (and probably still is) the most difficult aircraft to fly, as proven by its long record of accidents. The argentinian were brave pilots because, even with all the odds against them, they went against Harriers and the Royal Navy's best assets. The british were brave pilots because they were flying the most difficult and accident prone aircraft 14000 km away from home over hostile territory and landing these birds on carriers that were floating in the most treacherous waters of the planet. Needless to say, both sides performed above all expectations during the first air-naval conflict since WW2, and that's what makes this sim project quite appealing, imho. :cool:

Besides, who wouldn't want to try the Sea Harrier and the Mirage, for a change! :)

Have you read the book Sea Harrier over the Falklands by commander 'Sharkey' Ward?

And btw check this link out: http://www.naval-history.net/F63braircraftlost.htm

I count 10 harrier losses  :dry:

1- may 1st / sea harrier xz-458 / oerlikon 35mm / puerto argentino-port stanley

2- may 1st / sea harrier xz-491 / oerlikon 35mm / puerto argentino-port stanley

3- may 4th / sea harrier xz-450 / oerlikon 35mm / darwin pradera del ganso

4- may 5th / sea harrier / oerlikon 35mm / darwin pradera del ganso

5- may 5th / sea harrier / oerlikon 35mm / puerto argentino-port stanley

6- may 6th / sea harrier xz-452 / not determined / puerto argentino-port stanley

7- may 6th / sea harrier za-453 / not determined / puerto argentino-port stanley

8- may 21th / harrier gr3 899 / blow pipe / puerto argentino-port stanley

9- may 25th / sea harrier za-192 / roland / puerto argentino-port stanley

10- may 27th/ harrier gr3 xz-988 / oerlikon 35mm / puerto argentino-port stanley

11- may 29th / sea harrier za-174 / oerlikon 35mm / puerto argentino-port stanley

12- may 30th / harrier gr3 xz-972 / oerlikon 35mm / puerto argentino-port stanley

13- juny 1st / harrier frs1 xz--466 / roland / puerto argentino-port stanley

14- juny 8th /harrier grm-mk3 /oerlikon or roland/ puerto argentino-port stanley

8- may 21th / harrier gr3 899 / blow pipe / puerto argentino-port stanley

Shot down by a blow pipe?! U must be crazy, that’s propaganda! You cant hit anything with a blow pipe, its a useless weapon! :wacko:

Shot down by a blow pipe?! U must be crazy, that’s propaganda! You cant hit anything with a blow pipe, its a useless weapon!  :wacko:

members of commandos 601 company hit down a harrier GR3 with a missile blow pipe. The pilot Jeff Glover was ejected and had been taken prisioner by the same company.

Hi Guys,

I did indeed read Sharky Wards 'book'. I found the comment about the RAF wasting resources to mount a raid on Stanley with a Vulcan that his harriers could have done pretty laughable. I couldn't believe someone so obviously intelligent could not see the reason for this raid was not to hit the runway, but to show the Argentinian government we could hit their mainland bases. Thus pulling fighters away to defend their northern bases.

As for the bravery of Argentinas pilots and soldiers, yes they were very brave. They took on one of the worlds best trained military forces and put up a creditable fight. I would not have relished taking on the ships in SanCarlos knowing they were a: Heavily armed b:knew you were coming and c: ringed with sams.

I often wonder what would have happend if we still had HMS Ark Royal (aircraft carrier) with her AEW aircraft and her Buccaneer's and F4 Phantoms. I doubt the war would even have taken place.

Now thers an interesting twist for the game, have both sides carriers available.

Bob

1-  may 1st   / sea harrier xz-458  /  oerlikon 35mm  / puerto argentino-port stanley

2-  may 1st   / sea harrier xz-491  /  oerlikon 35mm  / puerto argentino-port stanley

3-  may 4th   / sea harrier xz-450  /  oerlikon 35mm  / darwin pradera del ganso

4-  may 5th   / sea harrier             /  oerlikon 35mm  / darwin pradera del ganso

5-  may 5th   / sea harrier             /  oerlikon 35mm  / puerto argentino-port stanley

6-  may 6th   / sea harrier xz-452  /  not determined  / puerto argentino-port stanley

7-  may 6th   / sea harrier za-453  /  not determined  / puerto argentino-port stanley

8-  may 21th / harrier gr3  899      /  blow pipe           / puerto argentino-port stanley

9-  may 25th / sea harrier za-192  /  roland               / puerto argentino-port stanley

10- may 27th/  harrier gr3 xz-988   / oerlikon 35mm  / puerto argentino-port stanley

11- may 29th / sea harrier za-174   / oerlikon 35mm  / puerto argentino-port stanley

12- may 30th / harrier gr3 xz-972   /  oerlikon 35mm  / puerto argentino-port stanley

13- juny 1st   / harrier frs1 xz--466 /  roland               / puerto argentino-port stanley

14- juny 8th   /harrier grm-mk3       /oerlikon or roland/ puerto argentino-port stanley

Casualties and Aircraft Losses

Britain

Dead

Four Army Air Corps

Five Fleet Air Arm

Two Royal Air Force

Aircraft Lost

Three Chinook

One Gazelle

Nine Harriers

One Lynx

One Scout

Five Sea King

Eight Wessex

Argentina

Dead

41 Argentine Air Force and Navy

Aircraft Lost

Twenty A-4 Skyhawk

Two Aermacchi MB-339

Two Agusta A109

Four Beech T-34C

Two Bell 212

Sixteen Bell UH-IH

Two Chinook

One C-130 Hercules

Two Canberra

22 Mirage III

Thirteen Pucara

Twelve Puma

One Super Etendard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War_Air_Forces

If you want details of British aircraft losses look at this link

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falkland...craftlosses.htm

Edited by Bob the Nailor

Casualties and Aircraft Losses

Britain

Dead

Four Army Air Corps

Five Fleet Air Arm

Two Royal Air Force

Aircraft Lost

Three Chinook

One Gazelle

Nine Harriers

One Lynx

One Scout

Five Sea King

Eight Wessex

Argentina

Dead

41 Argentine Air Force and Navy

Aircraft Lost

Twenty A-4 Skyhawk

Two Aermacchi MB-339

Two Agusta A109

Four Beech T-34C

Two Bell 212

Sixteen Bell UH-IH

Two Chinook

One C-130 Hercules

Two Canberra

22 Mirage III

Thirteen Pucara

Twelve Puma

One Super Etendard

JAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJA, Argentina had only 14 mirage III, an we had 4 Super Etendart in the war and none of them were shoot down in the war

I think that your informationis false. If you want the truth enter the argentinian air force page or buy a book.

don't beliebe to the unoficial pages that's all propaganda.

I don't know if all the information that you have there is fake but the most of it is fake.

sorry for my bad english :P