Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

The Red Baron

I checked the forum and didn't see any previous post about this. Forgive me if I missed it.

For OFF pilots in the US who have not seen the film The Red Baron, it has been released (finally) on DVD. Amazon has it available for ordering.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Baron-Matthias-Schweighofer/dp/B0039USJBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275535102&sr=8-1

I've never seen it, but it looked promising.

To prevent you from getting disappointed: the movie is not at all about the real MvR and his deeds.

Best is to watch it thinking, it was about some other Jasta. The aircraft scenes are mostly better

than in "Flyboys" and they alone are worth watching it.

Only exceptions: the fast and steep dives of these planes in some scenes.

And the fact that they appear to fly like an F-16

Saw it in Oz about 6 - 8 months ago on DVD. It was so unrealistic, I went and did the washing up! My eldest son agreed, but as teenagers do, he was able to stay on the lounge watching the whole thing.

a. The flight models and aircraft numbers are unrealistic.

b. The characterizations are so uninteresting you do not care who lives or dies.

c. Very little bare skin ...

Watch Deep Blue Sky instead. It has all of these three in perfect combination.

Regards,

George.

And the fact that they appear to fly like an F-16

What are you talking about?!? That's how I fly! :lol:

Hellshade

It's more about his emotional life than his flying...and they had to build it around a completely fictitious love affair with a nurse. His famous duel with Hawker happens in about four seconds. His "head wound" dogfight; the same and is really all about his convelescence (and the nurse) Werner Voss, who was barely 20, looks to be in his early thirties. His dofight/death is not shown at all. von Richtofen finds out about Voss's death while touring one of Fokker's factories. Fokker is torqued about the fact that Voss replaced the Oberussel engine with a British Bentley. (Bentley made a rotary engine?) And then, to top it all off, his final fight is not shown at all. He is last seen getting into his plane; his nurse, who has spent the night in his tent, comes down to the flight line in her bathrobe to see him off. (Yeah, right!) This is a soap opera, not a bio-pic.

Saw it in Oz about 6 - 8 months ago on DVD. It was so unrealistic, I went and did the washing up! My eldest son agreed, but as teenagers do, he was able to stay on the lounge watching the whole thing.

a. The flight models and aircraft numbers are unrealistic.

b. The characterizations are so uninteresting you do not care who lives or dies.

c. Very little bare skin ...

Watch Deep Blue Sky instead. It has all of these three in perfect combination.

Regards,

George.

Did you mean the WWII movie, "Dark Blue World?" This looks really good, am looking forward to seeing it. click for a trailer

Richthofen did have an affair with a nurse, but not nearly as involved as in the movie version. I know it wasn't that historically accurate, but I think it was pretty good, worth seeing at least.

:grin: I got a copy of Red Baron and its not that bad. Allbeit, it is not a serious film. I did enjoy the recreated Albatross aircraft and I was left thinking what a waste. They could have made a few more films TV or Vids at the time before destroying all the props and rigs. :drinks: However, The woman that played the Red Barons sister was spectacular and would fit in any WW1 film. I have seen My Dark Blue World and it is a serious film with good era type a/c and locals., other Epic Type war films are better.:grin::boredom: Just my 2 cents.

Oops, yes: I meant Dark Blue World - I always get the name of that film mixed up. Loved that film.

Regards,

George

Hauksbee!!! Good to see you again, old chap!!!

Yes, again and again: forget the title of the movie, everyone - it's NOT about Manfred von Richthofen.

This guy is someone else - whished they had used another name, and it would be okay.

At least better than "Flyboys".

In my not so humble opinion, as a work of fiction, "The Blue Max" was a much better film. I'm sorry, but they've not put any woman in a WWI aerial film yet that can top Ursula Andress (or Undress, as some of us call her.)

The disappointing thing for me, was putting Lanoe Hawker in an SE5a. I mean, with digital imagery, you'd think they could have done up a decent DH2.

The disappointing thing for me, was putting Lanoe Hawker in an SE5a. I mean, with digital imagery, you'd think they could have done up a decent DH2.

Ahhh, but that would have been an unfair fight wouldn't it?

MvR must best his star rival in an equal machine

Oh how I loath Hollyywood ...err ...Munichwood! :grin:

btw. I'm lining up to purchase it at deepdiscount.com

Hey it's WWI Aero, I've got to buy it! :dntknw:

...and they take paypal!

Greetings every one! I just wandered across this game last week, and a coworker and I already have our copies - Good stuff!

As for the movie... From what i read during its production, it seemed the Germans were also preoccupied with the reception of a

movie glorifying one of their war heroes. So it seemed to me that they dressed it up to better suit audiances that, in many

cases, don't know the differences between WW1 and WW2 Germany. All that aside, I was just happy watching a movie about

dogfights... I'll take whatever i can get these days.

Welcome to the amazing world of OFF, DeathJester!

The most Germans know much more about WW2 and the Nazi regime than about WW1,

and any movie showing German war heroes was totally unthinkable here.

Movies showing "good" German soldiers, were only made by American or British companies,

with their actors (Michael Caine) playing the German.

When I saw the posters for the cinema start of "Der Rote Baron", I was slightly shocked.

I thought: Are we really so far now, that we can show German military heroes?

Can people deal with what they see, without distorting it?

What the movie did with me, was, it changed my angle of view. I had, like many British people,

regarded the German side in WW1 as the "dark side". But it was a pre-Nazi war, a big clash

of the well established industrial nations with a "hungry newcomer".

America as the other "newcomer" stood on the side of the old nations.

There was no "dark side" - it was industrial competition to it's worst, IMHO.

Well, the movie was no big success, as far as I can see. People have problems getting and

keeping work, getting the money together - the whole economic situation is very tense; so I think

they just didn't bother much.

The movie was financed by Warner, I think - so it's not really a German movie, but very influenced

by American producers, I assume.

Would you please send me a PM with your hometown and country/state? I'll add you to our

OFF Forum Pilots Maps then. Thanks! Enjoy this great sim!

Just wondered about the interception of the British night raid depicted in the film. Does anyone know if there were many instances of this by German fighters in real life?