Sign in to follow this  
macelena

..._

V!

V for Victory ...

:salute:Derk

SUPREME HEADQUARTERS

ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE 

SOLDIERS, SAILORS AND AIRMEN OF THE ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE! 

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. 

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely. 

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United States have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned ! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory ! 

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory ! 

Good Luck ! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. 

Dwight D. Eisenhower

-end-

Omaha beach...

A whole bunch of men at the wrong places, at the wrong time, with the worst possible odds, at horrendous cost manage to overcome the enemy and make a firm lodgement on French soil. :salute::salute::salute:

So hard to think that for some weeks during a promising summer, my so green, beautiful and peaceful province has been nothing that infernal noise, smoke, ruins of 800-year-old churches, wreckages of flaming tanks, columns of refugees, dead cows everywhere... Like everywhere else in Europe, the soldiers soon left, but the ruins stayed for years.

Here at least, the soldiers often come back. Here's a picture of the ceremonies yesterday, with US paratroopers parading in Sainte-Mère-Eglise. If you look closely at the bell tower, you can see a piece of cloth still hanging. The parachute with Private John Steele's dummy (82nd Airborne) hang here all year long and for ever to remember what happened during a famous night. :salute:

post-48840-029575800 1275892712.jpg

So hard to think that for some weeks during a promising summer, my so green, beautiful and peaceful province has been nothing that infernal noise, smoke, ruins of 800-year-old churches, wreckages of flaming tanks, columns of refugees, dead cows everywhere... Like everywhere else in Europe, the soldiers soon left, but the ruins stayed for years.

Here at least, the soldiers often come back. Here's a picture of the ceremonies yesterday, with US paratroopers parading in Sainte-Mère-Eglise. If you look closely at the bell tower, you can see a piece of cloth still hanging. The parachute with Private John Steele's dummy (82nd Airborne) hang here all year long and for ever to remember what happened during a famous night. :salute:

I can recall going on sunday drives when my dad was stationed in Paris, seeing the bombed out buildings that still remained, a mere 20 years after the war, and playing in old rusted and mangled german staff cars, and the cemetary at Normandy , and the endless white crosses,,,so many crosses,,,:salute:

I can recall going on sunday drives when my dad was stationed in Paris, seeing the bombed out buildings that still remained, a mere 20 years after the war, and playing in old rusted and mangled german staff cars, and the cemetary at Normandy , and the endless white crosses,,,so many crosses,,,:salute:

Colleville-sur-Mer, on the heights over Omaha Beach: 9387 graves (including Teddy Roosevelt Jr), possibly the largest American Military Cemetary outside the US. Every US President has passed there at least once. First shot of "Saving Private Ryan". The neighbouring graves of two brothers are said to have inspired the movie, and I've heard during a visit that the names Ryan (Matt Damon) and Miller (Tom Hanks) have been chosen by Spielberg because being the two most represented in this cemetary.

post-48840-081495700 1276264034.jpg