Sign in to follow this  
tn_prvteye

Thinking outside the box...

I've been browsing some of the older posts regarding the Macross/Robotech mod that was being worked on. It got me thinking. Would it be possible to really do a Macross sim? Foxmonter's Valkyrie could transform into the Gerwalk and back, but not to the full Battloid mode. What about assigning the animation to the flaps? Or maybe the VC nozzles? I'm just thinking out loud here...might work on that VF-0 3dmax file to experiment.

And for enemy units? The Zentradi pods would be difficult since we can't do walking animations...maybe keep them in flying mode? Even then, the AI couldn't go from a fighter jet to a robot and back during combat. Maybe there's a way to trick the AI into running the transformation animation at low speed. Thought about changing the gravity parameter in the terrain file to simulate zero-G...again the AI is the stumbling block here.

Just bored at work and really wanting a Macross sim. Maybe I'll try and whip up a Zentradi Fighter Pod in Blender...

...here it is...not much to look at. At least when Foxmonter gets his VF-1 finished, it'll have something to shoot down.

I know it's not very detailed, and it definitely isn't up to the usual Combat Ace standards, but I'm still working on the whole 3D modeling thing.

fp-1.jpg

what about using the battlepods as TANKS, instead of the semi-aircraft mode? More Zentradi fighters would be needed, of couse; like those Mirya flew.

hmm....another Valkyre could be modeled ONLY in Gerwalk, and used as a TANK, or even in battleoid mode; although how the arms would be animated to point/shoot the cannon would be difficult. 'Over the Shoulder' missiles for the Gerwalk/Batteloid tank variant should be too hard. Buth they probably wouldn't be player-"flyable".

So, maybe to versions of the Pod; one as a tank the other as a fighter???

now THAT's thinking outside the box!!

wrench

kevin stein

And we can set up the Destroids to be AAA or SAMs. Is there a way to animate walking at all? I've seen some static objects that move (flags). The SF engine is flexible, but it's an interesting academic exercise getting around the limitations.

You're right about the Pods...we'd need a tank and fighter versions. If I can find some drawings of the suit Mirya used, I might try making that one next.

Also gotta talk to FastCargo...he's apparently made some lasers.

The 'lasers' are not true lasers...just really large gunshots. However, doing long pulse lasers that way is pretty easy...you just have to make the data.ini entries for the muzzle really far out.

I could have sworn there was a MovementAnimation parameter for ground objects...but now I'm not so sure.

To have a successful Macross SF based game, I would suggest making it very limited. No transformational combat (ie air/space/ground modes in one mesh) and no space combat. Now, from that you could have ground combat (Pods vs ground mechs/Battleloids) and air combat (Z fighters vs Valkyries) and even mix the 2 in CAS type setup. Your only transformation would be between Gerwalk and Valkyrie mode. You could do it as Thrust Vectoring (but then the AI wouldn't use it) or as a speedbrake/lift device setup, in which case the AI could use it.

For the ground objects, I would recommend altering the formations, so you don't get neat rows...

I've also thought of a way to get capital ships to fight each other...even to the point of simulating space combat (with atmospheric style maneuvering a la Star Wars) with fighting going on around the ships.

FC

Hmmm. Maybe set the players Valk/Gerwalk to thrust vectoring (makes more sense)...and create an AI Valk with the animation linked to airbrakes or flaps. Well, that won't work for the player's wingies, though. At least not in campaign mode.

well, I don't know much about MAX, so can't answer the 'walking' thing, but it would use the 'vheicle dust emmitter', like tanks or trucks.

thinking about surface-to-surface reflex rockets for the Gerwalk tank-Vals, maybe a laser guided (ala TOW), with a low percentage hit probability (50%???)

I do remember seeing some kind of MLRS used in some sequecnes, early and late in the series. One could even make Z battlecruisers as carriers, cargo ships, etc, and place them in/on the terrains like they landed there.

Lot's of possibilities!!

wrench

kevin stein

Yeah, the Battle-cruisers would have to be grounded. After trying to create a "flying carrier" zeppelin for my aborted Crimson Skies mod, I determined it can't be done...at least I never figured out how.

And the only way we could simulate walking would be if ground objects had an animation option. They do for turrets and such, but I don't think we can assign an animation ID # to just movement...even then it'd have to be a loop-able animation. Which I don't think we can do.

But then again, people are always surprising me with how far they've taken this engine.