Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

New Rise of Flight Release

I support both ROF and OFF. Obviously, having helped with OFF as a former team member, my heart is with OFF as it's a non commercial development with a main goal to carry on where RedBaron left off, but I'm sure ROF's intentions are the same.... thank god they haven't commercially copped out yet like many of the other possibles that have come along over the years but couldn't make it. I wish them all the best of luck and I hope everyhone will help support them as well as OFF. It's a small investment to make in either of them or for both of them.

I have fun going back and forth.. I fly OFF for the history and immersion of the campaign and the huge content of planes in all periods of the war. I then go over to ROF for the newer eye candy and a very convincing flight model, though I can't say it is better then OFF, it's different. My problem with ROF at this point is system resources, I'm apparently on the minimum edge to play it and I have crashes, but I'm still experimenting with the settings and may just have to turn them down more.

Anyway, I hope both do well and salute the efforts of those who have made them available for us. :drinks:

What is Arrowhead?

I don't like this trend nowadays where you have to play online. Sounds like a way to make your version obsolete very quickly when the next edition comes out.

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, a standalone expansion (ie you don't need to buy Arma 2 to play it) of an infantry battlefield sim. It's primarily about being infantry, but it offers vehicles as well...trucks, cars, boats, APCs, tanks, AAA, helos, jets. Unlike the Battlefield-type games which have a small map and you run around in confined quarters to play, Arma has a single huge map that takes several minutes to cross in a jet, a bit longer in a helo, and even longer than that in a ground or water vehicle! It's the latest successor to the old Operation Flashpoint.

Well, I bought it several months ago..played it a few times..but it never felt right!..Not going to pay anything else either

Yes, it is a nice video - and it's being widely touted as a flagship video for RoF. The guy who did it should be proud, it is well done.

Interestingly enough, it shows one of the more controversial issues about RoF; the damage model that many claim is so superior. But look at the very last few frames...it shows Voss' craft crash violently after Voss is mortally wounded. According to McCudden himself "(I watched)...the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments, for it seemed to me that it literally went into powder."

But in RoF, even though the plane does explode, the fuselage appears to remain intact.

You couldn't find a better example of a flaw that has been related by quite a few people. It's amusing to me that so many are saying this video shows exactly how good RoF is. The damage model and flight model are supposedly two of RoF's biggest features, but there are examples of how they're just not all they're claimed to be.

Seems the vastly superior damage model missed the mark where Voss' plane is concerned.

In other words, what it comes down to - for me - is that RoF is really just a lot of eye candy. I agree the graphics are truly remarkable. But a DM and FM that are 'light years' ahead of anything else? I just don't see it.

Tamper, this was not meant as a shamless plug for RoF. I just wanted to share a beautiful video made with love and respect for those young men flying and dying in WW1. Nothing more, nothing less

Thomas

Edited by Thomas H

Tamper, this was not meant as a shamless plug for RoF. I just wanted to share a beautiful video made with love and respect for those young men flying and dying in WW1. Nothing more, nothing less

Thomas

Thomas, sorry if you took offense - after reading what I wrote again, I honestly don't believe I said you tried to plug anything. In fact, to your point, I believe I agreed that the video itself was nicely done.

I was simply expressing what I find an interesting irony about the video; that many RoF proponents say it shows how good RoF really is, when it actually seems to illustrate one of the flaws in RoF.

A flaw in one of the two areas of RoF (FM and DM) that it's fans claim are far superior to any other sim, ever.

That's all I really said - not that you were plugging RoF.

Regards,

Really remarkable video, and the damage model doesn't take away from it IMHO. Although I can see the argument there, I don't happen to think it's that big a deal, there are much bigger things missing from ROF that will hopefull be addressed in the next patch from the developers. I fly ROF and OFF for completely different reasons and enjoy them both.

Personally I think something like a plane not properly disintegrating on impact with the ground a distant second to things like lackluster SP campaigns. I don't believe in MP-only flight sims (a few FPS games like that are good for me) and I think any flight sim should be a full experience even if you never go online.

That said, I enjoy MP in flight sims and the ones that are SP-only are also missing something.

Perhaps I'm just not expressing myself well (although I thought it was pretty clear). I don't find anything wrong - at all - with the video itself; certainly not. It is, indeed, exceptionally well done. It depicts an epic engagement (and very well, again) in the specific area of a monumental conflict that we all cherish. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that RoFs remarkable graphics truly add to the overall realism of the video.

Having said all that, my point was that the video offers solid evidence of something that's been very controversial in the evolution of the sim. And, to put it in proper context (borrowing a moment from Rabu), the only big deal that's been made is because the folks who rant about how great RoF is, are the same ones who make the DM out to be the second coming. It is them (not me) who is making a big deal about how this video shows exactly how great RoF is.

Now, just to be sure there are no further misunderstandings, kindly allow me to repeat what I'm saying: It's not me making the big deal - it's the fans of RoF.

And, just to be certain - to put it a different way, I wouldn't care if the plane in the video doesn't disintegrate, were it not for the fact that RoF fans themselves have chosen to make it a big deal. I even seem to recall that, when the issue concerning 'invincible' fuselage structures came up, they argued fervently that the DM was accurate...that those who thought there should be destruction of the fuselage were just...well, wrong.

I'm simply sitting back, amused at how they've made this video a big deal - not about it being a great video, but about it showing how good RoF is - apparently without realizing that this video actually illustrates a crucial flaw in one of their core arguments for RoFs claims of being superior to *everything* else - the damage model.

To me, and in my own humble opinion, this video shows precisely how misguided the claims truly are. At least according to McCudden, who was there at the time. I start to wonder if some of these folks would try to tell him he was wrong, too.

I guess if I'm wrong for having my own additional observations beyond it being a "wonderful video" (which I agree with, again)...then I'll apologize now, and let that be the end of it.

I fall in love with Rise of Flight at first sight, check out this one ->

The trees and forests do look almost real no matter flying high above them or on the deck close to them! Wow! Russian technologies is amazing!

I'm definitely buying it though it still costs me 29.99 quids I think it worths the money.

You know what I think: when it comes down to WWI or WWII aircrafts, the game engine takes up less effort in terms of computing lots of avionics and AI things like those in modern era simulators. So I don't care whthere they are historically accurate or a campaign, I just like and luve the eye-candies. And the plane looks so vibrant, the lighting is nicely done.

By the way, I've found another WWII simulator, Wings Of Prey possibly a successor to IL-2. It looks pretty as much as ROF. Oh I'm going to spend a lots of money this money, 2 flight simulations and

I fall in love with Rise of Flight at first sight, check out this one ->

The trees and forests do look almost real no matter flying high above them or on the deck close to them! Wow! Russian technologies is amazing!

I'm definitely buying it though it still costs me 29.99 quids I think it worths the money.

You know what I think: when it comes down to WWI or WWII aircrafts, the game engine takes up less effort in terms of computing lots of avionics and AI things like those in modern era simulators. So I don't care whthere they are historically accurate or a campaign, I just like and luve the eye-candies. And the plane looks so vibrant, the lighting is nicely done.

By the way, I've found another WWII simulator, Wings Of Prey possibly a successor to IL-2. It looks pretty as much as ROF. Oh I'm going to spend a lots of money this money, 2 flight simulations and

Well, good luck...I have both Sims you mention...

All I can say is, "Hope you don't find you've wasted your Money" :drinks:

Well I've been impressed by the cockpit detail and airframe modeling, but significantly unimpressed by the external views.

The reflections/glare off the airframes is wildly unrealistic, and for some models (e.g. the Alb D.II), the camo colors aren't even close .

The game takes quite a while to load, even with a fast machine. Pretty but not much depth for SP.

I dropped out of the Beta test program, and now I am remembering why.

post-6006-049877900 1285441426.jpg

post-6006-023408500 1285441442.jpg

post-6006-068867200 1285441523.jpg

That looks like a DX10 effect gone overboard. It shouldn't be much work to tone that down.

Right. But the glare has been a fixture of ROF since release.

Perhaps it's an attempt to compensate for the distance view problem.

As I recall, glare off the cellon on the test eindekkers was the reason the Germans gave up that approach for the first stealth fighter.

post-6006-052209400 1285599526.jpg

Perhaps with a special skin the E-III model would be accurate.

The D.II camo is still too blue/gray.

The over contrasty, shiny image in that screenie is easy to fix.

1)Turn HDR off in the options, the contrast levels end up way too high.

2)Adjust the gamma levels with the options menu sliders, with HDR off I have it set at default.

3)Desaturation can be tweaked in the startup.cfg file in the ROF/ data folder. 1.0 is default, I like the desaturated look so have it set to 0.75.

4)If you don't like the Bloom, with HDR off I do, then you can turn it off in the options menu.

Screens with HDR off, Bloom on, saturation 0.75, gamma default.

2009_11_2__14_52_22.jpg

2010_8_8__16_35_38.jpg

2010_10_9__10_23_0.jpg

Edited by Mogster

The teaser of the next update says we'll be able to shoot enemy pilots with the flare gun. :yes: Awesome, but I'll still wait for the Career update. :grin:

Apparently with the new flares comes the ability to shoot were you're looking, FPS style. Of course that also opens up the possibility of hand held weapons sometime in the future.

I know its a small thing but the new bouncing flares do look very cool :)

Edited by Mogster

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - hanguns, rifles, early dogfights without mounted weapons.. Before that barbaric machine gun was taken into the air.

I support both ROF and OFF. ... My problem with ROF at this point is system resources, I'm apparently on the minimum edge to play it and I have crashes, but I'm still experimenting with the settings and may just have to turn them down more...

Funny, I have exactly the opposite problem. OFF stutters constantly like a bad copy of a 35mm film for me, yet my 4 year old quad core system (with XFX 4870 1 GB upgrade) runs RoF all on high (including high shadows) except medium terrain texture, and thats just to keep fps maxed. In truth, I can't see much difference b/t high RoF terrain texture and medium. A well coded core engine and quad core makes a huge difference.

Once the new campaign mode comes out, and with a few more plane updates, RoF will be hard to match for overall WWI sim experience. There will be little to compare.

ROF seems to like dual cores under XP and Quads or more under Win7.

Using XP a GTX285 and a hardly blistering Core Duo E8500 (3.16ghz) I get playable framerates even in a 30 aircraft furball, there's a noticeable slowdown though. With any less aircraft than that in the air its silky smooth. I have everything maxed out gfx wise, just HDR off as it looks rank imo.