Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

Indo-French Air Exercises in France

IAF Contingent For Exercise Garuda Flagged Off

An IAF contingent of 230 Air Warriors was flagged off from Air Force Station Bareilly by Air Marshal S Varthaman, Senior Air Staff Officer, Central Air Command at a formal ceremony today. The IAF contingent would be taking part in Exercise Garuda scheduled from 14 Jun to 25 Jun 2010, at Istres Air Base, France.

The IAF assets taking part in exercise include 06 Su-30MKI fighters, 03 IL-78MKI tankers & 01 IL–76MD Transport Aircraft. The Su-30 MKIs would be taking part in an exercise in France for the first time. Earlier IAF Su-30Ks had participated. Also a team of Air Force's Garud Special Forces would be taking part in Exercise Garuda for the first time.

Addressing the contingent members at the flagging off ceremony Air Mshl Varthaman said "Indeed it is a proud & privileged honour for him to bid the team good flying & happy landings. We have prepared well for last 6 to 8 months and I am sure you will excel with your professionalism. So fly safe, fly well, make friends, win hearts & touch the sky with glory."

At the Exercise Garuda the French Air Force would be participating with their Mirage 2000s & Rafale Aircraft. It should also be noted that the Republic of Singapore Air Force would also be participating in Ex-Garuda with their F-16 Block 52 Aircraft. Gp Capt J Mishra is the Team Leader under whose supervision the IAF contingent would perform in France. Gp Capt NN Sinha of IAF would be the Exercise Director, who would be planning, co-ordinating & executing different aspects of the flying & ground maneuvers at Ex Garuda.

Edited by ghostrider883

it's funny how they march infront of the aircrafts.. :)

great pics :good:

The French may be disappointed in the results of a Mirage 2000 / Su-30 tangle.

The French may be disappointed in the results of a Mirage 2000 / Su-30 tangle.

Specially since the Flanker pilots of the IAF will be used to develop DACT with IAF Mirage 2000s. And if they weren´t used enough, i bet they will have trained a bit with them looking forward to these exercises. I wonder how would perform Rafales, but my bets would go with the Sukhois

Edited by macelena

Well, Rafale is likely more stealthy than the 2000, so they'll have a slight advantage there. Also the Rafale has more modern avionics than the IAF's 2000s, so my guess is they'll put up a better fight than the Su's had from the 2k's back home.

Again, not saying the Rafale is or isn't superior to the Su, but it should be superior to the 2000 in most areas.

Rafale vs Su-30's... Drivers of the same skill level money is on the Ground as that always wins...

Serious though Su-30 is a better in close fighter than the Rafale as the Rafale is biased towards Ground attack. Also the Su-30 has a longer reach missile wise... but the Rafale most likely has better avionics... But the proof will out once the fight is finished... Also in this sort of DACT both sides will pull some of their punches just in case...

I want to see how the famed "SPECTRA" EW system works again the missile threats.

That's assuming it gets used and they just don't pop chaff! They also may have a training mode that does simple noise jamming so as not to reveal any "secret sauce" they've got.

Yeah IAF even conducts these exercises with the radar off.