Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

Wooohoo!

Just had a Hawker Hurricane fly overhead.

I love the sound of Merlins in the morning.

I was flying IL2 one day a few summers ago when I heard the distinct sound of radials. I got up and went on my porch and a B-25 flew over!! More coming though, so I stayed, and a B-17 and a B-24 both flew over. Turns out that they were at our local airport in Astoria, OR landing for a weekend of pay rides and tours. I just happened to be lucky enough to live along the approach for landing!!

Another time I was getting laundry out of my truck and I heard that lovely sound of the Merlin also and looked up. There I spied a Mustang zipping over head! Very cool. Lastly, when I was in HS, my boss at the marina where I worked, well him and his twin brother had flown F4F's in WWII as coastal patrol types over the Atlantic. We were sittin in the shop one day and heard a plane fly over head, and he goes "That's a Grumman", and sure as poop there was a Wildcat flying by. Very cool!!!

~Stingray

Flyby, nothing sounds like a Merlin!

Sounds like the way to start a day off right

My best aero sound experience came at an air show ...Westhover Mass IIRC

There were a multiple of jets, Thunderbirds, etc, then they brought the vintage A/C out

They announced that they'd have a flight of 5 P-51's who would simultate an airfield strafing attack

Hmm not just the slow flyby today eh?

The Mustag's grouped well beyong the end of the strip and dove down at a 30o angle

I'm sure it wasn't full throttle but those Merlins were singing

At the mid point of the field they broke into a 90o turn to Port and exited in a 10o climb

The Merlins were lovely but the sound their ailerons/airframes made in the tight turn grabbed you by the gut

It was a loud shrieking sound, best way I can describe it is "They were ripping a hole in the air" 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 times ...YOUZER!

That's also where I also learned how to ground attack in OFF

The annoncer said the 90o turn and transition from dive to climb was make the gunners completely recalibtate their aiming

Just had a Hawker Hurricane fly overhead.

Must have slipped through a wormhole - we shouldn't see Hurricanes in OFF! grin.gif

But I know what you mean. I stood on a chalk hill west of London with a friend, when we heard that distinct drone

growing louder. It was obvious, that there was an oldtimer underway.

And really: a Spitfire came closer. It passed our position so close, that we could wave to the pilot, and he

waved back. We were impressed by the sound and vision.

Edited by Olham

I was flying IL2 one day a few summers ago when I heard the distinct sound of radials. I got up and went on my porch and a B-25 flew over!! More coming though, so I stayed, and a B-17 and a B-24 both flew over. Turns out that they were at our local airport in Astoria, OR landing for a weekend of pay rides and tours. I just happened to be lucky enough to live along the approach for landing!!

Another time I was getting laundry out of my truck and I heard that lovely sound of the Merlin also and looked up. There I spied a Mustang zipping over head! Very cool. Lastly, when I was in HS, my boss at the marina where I worked, well him and his twin brother had flown F4F's in WWII as coastal patrol types over the Atlantic. We were sittin in the shop one day and heard a plane fly over head, and he goes "That's a Grumman", and sure as poop there was a Wildcat flying by. Very cool!!!

~Stingray

Hay, Stingray, Used to live in Astoria in an old house on Grand Ave that I remodeled; wonderful river views. We were there when they were filming Kindagarden Cop and were extras but never made it into the final film footage. After 5 years of the rain we finally left though.. Small world!

I was lucky enough to go to the last ever Kenley Aerodrome memorial show,way back in 1979... and enjoyed performances by Spitfire, Hurricane...and the highlight of the show was a dogfight between a replica Sopwith Camel and DR1....fantastic

Kenley airfield - I've been there!

But in the 80s - there were still the aircraft shelter pits, and the half round taxying way, but apart from that, nothing.

Wonder how it looks today.

Hi Olham Kenley airfield still has the aircraft shelter pits there,the airfield is just used for gliding now.

Oh, fine - thank you, Paul!

Haven't been there for many years...I lived in Caterham, just a few miles away.

As kids we played in the control tower...with no idea of it's significance

You guys were lucky - I live close enough to see the Battle of Britain Memorial Flights hanger - most Summer weekends and many weekday evenings I have to put up with them flying low and slow over my home as they line up on finals into RAF Coningsby. Don't even mention the Dakota.

It's a rough life here but then someone has to do it :grin: