Sign in to follow this  
cgold

Game Crashing after Mission

I just recently got a new hard drive and a new operating system, Windows 7. With the upgrade, I lost most of my SFp1 stuff, but have no fear. Most of my stuff was on my desktop at home. I brought back about 90% of my stuff with minor things here and there missing. Yet, when I hit 'ESC' at the end of a mission, the game quits right to my desktop. I checked to see if the keyboard commands were set correctly, and they were. 'ESC' exits flight and something else exits the game entirely. If this info. is in the knowledge base, just tell me so...just thought of getting input first. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had the same prob with WOE after my Win7 install. After I updated to the OCT 2008 patch it stopped acting up and worked as advertised. Had a similar prob with WOI until after the patch as well. Hope that helps.

~Stingray

Yeah with gen 1 games you need to upgrade to Oct 2008 - or change a few shaders if sticking with old versions on Vista/7 - as per the KB

Yeah with gen 1 games you need to upgrade to Oct 2008 - or change a few shaders if sticking with old versions on Vista/7 - as per the KB

I did put all of the ThirdWire 'Service Packs' and 'Patches' on my game that are available for Strike Fighters: Project One and it still crashes after the mission ends. I've been thinking I should go back to "Square 1" and go from there...just add a service pack and/or patch one at a time and see which one (if it is one particular patch/service pack) is at fault.

and DO NOT install to the Programs or Programs(x86). Install to the root of C:

wrench

kevin stein

I fixed the game crashing...just took out the right patch and bingo!

Only problem now is that the game still thinks it has certain aircraft in that are not even in the objects folder. I took out an A-4B and the game still lists it in the aircraft selection list.

Any tips?

I fixed the game crashing...just took out the right patch and bingo!

Only problem now is that the game still thinks it has certain aircraft in that are not even in the objects folder. I took out an A-4B and the game still lists it in the aircraft selection list.

Any tips?

This also occurs to the A-4's, MiG's, ans Sukhoi's I took out as well. So, I know it's not just the A-4B from before. I also cannot seem to re-name the different stock F-4's I have; even though I have in their respective .ini files.

Where have you installed it??

Normal installation...nothing special, just straight to C: ...

This also occurs to the A-4's, MiG's, ans Sukhoi's I took out as well. So, I know it's not just the A-4B from before. I also cannot seem to re-name the different stock F-4's I have; even though I have in their respective .ini files.

If its not in Program files or x86 then thats pretty weird behaviour - have not seen that before - can you make a copy of the whole folder , stick it on the desktop and run it from there and see if there is any change?

Have you set it to run as admin in its shortcut? might be worth changing the compat mode too.

Edited by MigBuster

If its not in Program files or x86 then thats pretty weird behaviour - have not seen that before - can you make a copy of the whole folder , stick it on the desktop and run it from there and see if there is any change?

Have you set it to run as admin in its shortcut? might be worth changing the compat mode too.

My SFp1 aircraft folder is under Program Files/Strategy First/Strike Fighters/Objects/Aircraft. I am running Windows 7 and I have a Shortcut on my desktop to that folder as well. My permissions are fine and no duplicate folders exist of the aforementioned aircraft...

This is your problem:

Program Files/Strategy First/Strike Fighters/Objects/Aircraft

put it in the ROOT of C/

C:/StrategyFirst/StrikeFighters

7 don't let you change thing in either the ProgramFiles folders (found this out the hard way, EVEN with admin priviliges)

move it OUT, like in my screenie

Also, WW2 installs, or ANY at 06 patch level WILL CRASH unless you comment OUT the shader lines in the various terrain's data inis. This is the same issue we had with Vista and the shaders. ONLY the 08 patch levels have working shaders in Vista/Win7.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks, Wrench! That was the problem...One last kink I haven't worked out is that I wanted to replace the old F-14A external tanks with the newer ones. I replaced the .LOD's, some text in the WeaponData file, and so on and so forth. What am I missing or not doing?!?! :blink: I also made sure that the F-14A_Data file had the right tanks listed in the Hex Editor I run.

One behavior I have noticed is that the game does recognize that there are F-14 external tanks...but they are not on the aircraft when I start a sortie.

I tried opening the WeaponData file with the WeaponEditor but it does nothing. The WeaponEditor opens but from there...nothing happens. This is my last 'big' problem...the only things left to do is correct some dates and weapon loadouts...and those are fairly easy to do.

1. You need the correct weapons editor (Dated 20th Feb 2008 I think) - can you even open it up?

2. In the data ini for the jet make sure the correct name is listed on the pylons - eg

[CenterlineStation]

PylonDragArea=0.02

FuelTankName=Tank300_F18 <-------------

Also check other 3rd party tanks to compare and ensure you have the correct references for the lod names etc

1. You need the correct weapons editor (Dated 20th Feb 2008 I think) - can you even open it up?

2. In the data ini for the jet make sure the correct name is listed on the pylons - eg

[CenterlineStation]

PylonDragArea=0.02

FuelTankName=Tank300_F18 <-------------

Also check other 3rd party tanks to compare and ensure you have the correct references for the lod names etc

Yep...all that is covered. The WeaponData file in the weapons folder has the correct tanks listed, the aircraft data.ini file is correctly marked, and the actual tanks are in the correct folder. And, no, I can't seem to open the WeaponData file in the weapon data editor. I do have the newest editor, however.

win95/98 compatibility mode set on the 08 WepEditor?

as, check the loadout ini, make sure it's pointing to the correctly named tank

wrench

kevin stein

win95/98 compatibility mode set on the 08 WepEditor?

as, check the loadout ini, make sure it's pointing to the correctly named tank

wrench

kevin stein

Yep...comatibility mode is set for Win95/98. I also checked the loadout.ini file for the correct tanks and they are listed.

Doesn't seem to end, does it?!?! :blink:

Yep...comatibility mode is set for Win95/98. I also checked the loadout.ini file for the correct tanks and they are listed.

Doesn't seem to end, does it?!?! :blink:

The weps editor for SF1 actually works on Win 7 without changing the comp mode for me - however if I copy it into Program files - it doesnt even open - so again I suspect you have it in the wrong place. Cut and Paste its folder out of program files to the desktop and try again (this is NOT the same as putting a shortcut on the desktop to it btw)

I'll give that a shot when I get SFp1 re-installed. It for some reason, started crashing before the game even fired up. So, I'm going to reload the game, reload the patches/service packs, and then I'll get this external tank issue fixed...it seems to be just one thing after the other... :suicide:

make sure you have the latest DX9 loaded too ... I had to do that on this new machine when I reinsalled the 1stGens. DX10 don't work on them, and dosne't seem to mind having it's older sister hanging around <grin>

wrench

kevin stein

post-18157-049553100 1276658638.jpg

Gentlemen, I bring you... :yikes:

Notice, there are no pylons.

.LOD problem or what?

This is to those who helped me out! Thank you all for helping a fellow modder out of the depths of game crashes, .lod problems, non-cooperating modding, and so on and so forth. Thanks again!!! :salute::salute::salute:

post-18157-099453400 1276711678.jpg