Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: I Know It's Not OFF, But Still...

Greetings All,

This weekend I was updating some software, after which I could not get FRAPS video capture to function properly with my OFF install. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the FRAPS program itself so I dusted off my old IL2 set-up and flew a few RAAF Gladiator missions along the coast of Libya, circa 1940, to test things out. I'd forgotten just how nice this 10-year-old combat flight sim is:

IL2 RAAF Clip

Best water animations ever, and a first-rate WW2 sim al the way around. I am now entrenched in this RAAF campaign trying to see it through to the bitter end, (fortunately it's a short series of missions). :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

It still looks nice.

But IMHO there are now better water animations.

It's showing it's age now

RAF_Louvert: I am now entrenched in this RAAF campaign trying to see it through to the bitter end

Lou, oh, Lou - could it be that you are easy to get distracted? I mean, do what a pilot must do,

but please don't threaten us with another "sabbathical withdrawel" again, if you find you have too many

pans on the fire!

grin.gif

PS: IL2 was the first WW2 sim for me, were the aircraft looked REAL GOOD! Thanks, man!

Edited by Olham

The Gladiator is a nice plane. We are flying them in multiplayer Mediterranean Air War expansion with Blenheims, Hurricanes and PBY Catalinas off the Egyptian coast. I used to fly IL-2 but CFS3 has a much better mission builder IMHO, or at least I have more skills in using it.

2pobd07.jpg

16auzpw.jpg

PS: saw it now - the water looks great to me indeed! Don't need it any better.

But terrain and clouds are better in OFF surely.

VP and Widowmaker: I imagine there are better water animations out now, (though I haven't run across them yet myself), and IL2 is showing it's age, but it still is a nice piece of craftsmanship.

Winston: Wish I could fly MP but my stone age IP won't allow it.

Olham: How can you say I'm easily distracted? Why that's just...ooooo, look at the froggy, can I have some chocolate, why is France so far away, how do they make shoe laces, where's my pillow, is that a real cowboy...

Any news on the WW1 mod for IL2?

It may be dead in the water for now WM, at least that is one of the rumors I've heard.

Olham, you mentioned that you feel the terrain and clouds are better in OFF. I believe the two sims are on an even level there, depemding on which mods you use in IL2. As a case in point, here are a few shots of Ford Island in the early morning, (Compans terrain files and the very fine "Blue Sky, White Sun" campaign files used in these).

IL2_Hawaii_04.jpg

IL2_Hawaii_01.jpg

IL2_Hawaii_02.jpg

IL2_Hawaii_03.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Lou,

I have an original copy of IL2 but can't seem to get it going with Windows 7 64bit. Is there a problem running IL2 with windows 7?

Thanking you.

Morris.

Morris,

Not sure what to tell you there Sir. I run XP Pro 64 bit myself, but I shoulf think you can make IL2 run on W7. Might want to check on one of the IL2 forums to find out the trick.

Cheers!

Lou

Wonderful pics, Lou! good.gif

Did a lil' digging and found out where the allaircraftarcade.com website/forums disappeared to. You can find 'em over here: http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/index.php

Your log-in info from the old site will still work (well, mine did).

The Canvas Knights section of the forum is still there. Last post was June 3rd I think.

Regardless, if you're at all fond of IL2, that site is an absolute must have! Tons of good add-ons and info available there....

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

As a case in point, here are a few shots of Ford Island in the early morning, (Compans terrain files and the very fine "Blue Sky, White Sun" campaign files used in these).

IL2_Hawaii_04.jpg

IL2_Hawaii_01.jpg

IL2_Hawaii_02.jpg

IL2_Hawaii_03.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

That's eerie - to see a piece of terrain so familiar to my eyes, and to see it as it was 70 years ago. Makes the hair rise on the back of my neck!

shred

I still prefer IL2 1946 with the HSFX mod over most other flight sims.

SOW is what I am having a hard time waiting for.

Thanks to Parky for the address from all aircraft simulations, and the log in info from AAA works fine there.

Some of the AAA people went to sas1946.com

More likely just about everyone reads both.

:drinks: This is a U tube, The guy made a really good vid useing all the mods for IL2, My personal choie for the Best of IL2

is another Vid from the same person Called North and South. If I could fine all the mods I would be playing IL2 along with OFF>

:drinks: This is a U tube, The guy made a really good vid useing all the mods for IL2, My personal choie for the Best of IL2

is another Vid from the same person Called North and South. If I could fine all the mods I would be playing IL2 along with OFF>

Try this: http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php

Edited by BirdDogICT

Lou,

I have an original copy of IL2 but can't seem to get it going with Windows 7 64bit. Is there a problem running IL2 with windows 7?

Thanking you.

Morris.

I don't have any problems with IL-2 1946 in Win7 64 bit, can't say if earlier issues might be a problem. I'm installing to "c:\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" directory. I have UAC turned off, haven't had to set compatibility,

With Catalyst 10.5, ATI finally fixed the blocky text issues with OpenGL, and I'm not getting screen tearing with TrackIR, even with VSync off.

Any news on the WW1 mod for IL2?

According to the Canvas Knights website:

News! June 7, 2010

All Aircraft Arcade has closed and the future of Canvas Knights uncertain at this time

Edited by BirdDogICT

Thanx BirdDog,

I will try to reinstall and let you know.

Have a great one.

Cheers.

M

Did a lil' digging and found out where the allaircraftarcade.com website/forums disappeared to. You can find 'em over here: http://allaircraftsi...forum/index.php

Your log-in info from the old site will still work (well, mine did).

The Canvas Knights section of the forum is still there. Last post was June 3rd I think.

Regardless, if you're at all fond of IL2, that site is an absolute must have! Tons of good add-ons and info available there....

Cheers,

Parky

Thanks a lot good site Here is the link to a u Tube vid It should be appropriate Carrick58

Some day I look forward to seeing good animated shore line waves and breakers. As in this sim, the ocean looks really good and the color change nicely as it gets shallow, but then the really strange white area, which just looks really bad.. it would have looked better just leaving it out.