Sign in to follow this  
CoopF4

Adding New Planes?

Okay, so I've downloaded and installed SF2:E and its most current patch, but I cannot figure out how to add new aircraft designed for the SF2 series into the game as the file layout is very different than the older games in many ways. I searched around the forum for answer and couldn't find one, so any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

actually, the only REAL differences in the file structure are

1) where it's placed - mydocs for xp or savedgames for vista/7,

2) the required usage of a seperate /Objects/Decals folder with the aircraft names,

3) some sub-folder naming conventions (ie: Terrains as opposed to Terrain)

I find it's pretty much the same as 08, with those additons

wrench

kevin stein

Okay, again I looked around the Knowledge Base (which is truly where I originally looked before I posted the thread), and I couldn't find anything about adding an SF2 designed airplane into an SF2 game. I could find stuff about making old plans work in SF2 and vice versa, but nothing about just adding a new plane meant for SF2 series sims into SF2E. I've been around here enough to know that people tend to get mad if they don't think you've looked for an answer and I understand that, but I'm honestly saying I cannot find the answer. Granted, I've always had trouble locating things on this particular site due to the way the search engine behaves (it never seems to find what I'm searching for), but I looked and I can't find an answer. Please at least point me to a link that's more specific than just the main page of the KB.

Thanks!

Dude it's simple. Since you have it installed, go here:

Start Menu/YOUR COMPUTER USER NAME/Saved Games/Thirdwire/SF2 Game/Objects/Aircraft <--- Place aircraft folder only in here, in its entirety,

You may not have all the folders but depending on the aircraft download other folders will be present. If you have an "Objects" folder in the download, cut and paste in the "Start Menu/YOUR COMPUTER USER NAME/Saved Games/Thirdwire/SF2 Game/" folder. If you're still having issues figuring this out, do a search for "Thirdwire", and the folder should pop up in the search, go to it, explore and some of this stuff will hit you.

Which aircraft or is this just a general question? The reason I ask is because modders also create the folders necessary for you, so you just cut and paste and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the help. I now at least know how to get to the aircraft folders...I suppose the Windows 7 interface is changed enough to where I wasn't familiar with getting through the Start Menu now.

In any case, I've downloaded an AV-8B and a Sea Harrier pack, and neither seems to come with all of the necessary files so perhaps I'm not downloading the right airplanes.

I don't see a Sea Harrier pack anywhere in the SF2 download section. Did you download the wrong files?

FC

I wouldn't put it past myself to have done that. I'm going to go back and just download some of the Mirage Factory aircraft since they generally tend to be easier to install and are all of great quality. Wish me luck.

Some planes in the SF2 sections are just conversions of SF1 mods and might not be up-to-date with regard to their FM and effect files. It's also important to know that weapons are handled slightly different now as well, in theory it's simpler now to add weapons, but it may get a bit confusing when you try to add weapons from a SF1 weapons pack.

IMHO it couldn't hurt to separate the SF2 aircraft section to distinguish between SF2 conversions (i.e. SF1 mods updated to work with the SF2 folder structure) and actual SF2 mods (i.e. aircraft with FMs designed for SF2 and perhaps even models making use of the features of SF2....like the built-in droptank)

Yeah I'm finding that out as I go along. I'm taking it slow so I don't mess anything up and have to start over, but thus far I've added an AV-8B Harrier and TMF's F-4G. I have an F-5E from TMF as well, but some stuff in the cockpit is messed up so I'll probably delete it for now and maybe reattack on that later. I installed a weapons pack by Gunny I think and that seems to be working and I've managed to get the weapons editor up although I've noticed that when I click save on it, it tends to freeze (I think due to the 1800+ weapons I now have). I'm not really sure what to do about that.