Sign in to follow this  
Sweep

JT Alpha Version

Hello !

Simple question to team : How far are you from the alpha version ?

AFAYK, is it weeks ahead, months ahead, years ahead ?

Thank you

BTW Dante : Was Edgardo able to visit the argentinian navy and collect datas about the super etendard ?

Edited by Sweep

At current rate, I guess it's still some years ahead... blame the programmers (just kidding, Steve! ;))

Seriously, the product should be considered an alpha when we have at least one functional game element of all listed features (at least one of the 'flyables' working, at least one side of carriers operations working, at least one category of each kind of weaponry working (guns, a-a missiles, bombs), and at least one simple mission to acomplish based on events generated by the campaign engine.

At the moment, we have basically planes flying in a 3D engine enviroment, they have a rather generic FM more or less coherent with the type of plane (although I've been gathering a lot of accurate specs on their real FMs based on docs that Edgardo got with the argie air force and other docs submitted by real pilots). These planes are able to be flown by the player or by A.I., the player being presented with a virtual cockpit, mouse/trackIR compatible (based on A-4B Skyhawk FAA, Edgardo's photos). It has also the basic functional cockpit instruments, but no rather complex radar systems like the SeaHarrier's Blue Fox are being worked at the moment (I'm still trying to get info in this particular device).

Early iterations of the engine/flight model demonstrated that it can support thrust vectoring in a very convincing way, so the Harrier/Falklands concept received a 'green light' back in that time.

The only kind of weaponry working at the moment are airborne guns (Steve is working in AAA now - ground and naval Bofors tracking and firing at air targets are the goal for this week). We have also a simple damage model now, but a plane hierarchy for damage / dettachable parts in planes is being worked on by the art team.

There's already a pretty complete particle system whitin the 3d engine able to do tracer bullet smoke trails (much like in IL2), wingtip streams, missile trails, debris, dust/smoke being kicked up while strafing the ground and of course, engine black smoke for a badly hit plane.

The "fun" part, is that there's two main blocks of code, one comprising pratically the whole of gameplay features (FM, damage, bullets particles etc) and the other comprising the whole accurate Falklands Islands terrain, sea, and easy-to-use objects loading... When (if) these main blocks of programming code are seamlessly assembled, and we have at least one complete mission involving (for example) an anti-shipping mission against surface vessels, with working A.I., AAA, guns, bombs and missiles, then we could declare we reached an alpha.

BTW Dante : Was Edgardo able to visit the argentinian navy and collect datas about the super etendard ?

Not yet, but lets cross our fingers for his success. :)

Let us hope, possibly, that we faithful BioHaz members may get a chance to help with the Alpha and Beta testing.

It's probably too much to ask, but it never hurt X-Plane development if you need a precedent.

Let us hope, possibly, that we faithful BioHaz members may get a chance to help with the Alpha and Beta testing.

It's probably too much to ask, but it never hurt X-Plane development if you need a precedent.

Smooth, SDrickson, smooth :D

Smooth, SDrickson, smooth :D

Hey, but he's right :D

At current rate, I guess it's still some years ahead... blame the programmers (just kidding, Steve! ;))

Seriously, the product should be considered an alpha when we have at least one functional game element of all listed features (at least one of the 'flyables' working, at least one side of carriers operations working, at least one category of each kind of weaponry working (guns, a-a missiles, bombs), and at least one simple mission to acomplish based on events generated by the campaign engine.

At the moment, we have basically planes flying in a 3D engine enviroment, they have a rather generic FM more or less coherent with the type of plane (although I've been gathering a lot of accurate specs on their real FMs based on docs that Edgardo got with the argie air force and other docs submitted by real pilots). These planes are able to be flown by the player or by A.I., the player being presented with a virtual cockpit, mouse/trackIR compatible (based on A-4B Skyhawk FAA, Edgardo's photos). It has also the basic functional cockpit instruments, but no rather complex radar systems like the SeaHarrier's Blue Fox are being worked at the moment (I'm still trying to get info in this particular device).

Early iterations of the engine/flight model demonstrated that it can support thrust vectoring in a very convincing way, so the Harrier/Falklands concept received a 'green light' back in that time.

The only kind of weaponry working at the moment are airborne guns (Steve is working in AAA now - ground and naval Bofors tracking and firing at air targets are the goal for this week). We have also a simple damage model now, but a plane hierarchy for damage / dettachable parts in planes is being worked on by the art team.

There's already a pretty complete particle system whitin the 3d engine able to do tracer bullet smoke trails (much like in IL2), wingtip streams, missile trails, debris, dust/smoke being kicked up while strafing the ground and of course, engine black smoke for a badly hit plane.

The "fun" part, is that there's two main blocks of code, one comprising pratically the whole of gameplay features (FM, damage, bullets particles etc) and the other comprising the whole accurate Falklands Islands terrain, sea, and easy-to-use objects loading... When (if) these main blocks of programming code are seamlessly assembled, and we have at least one complete mission involving (for example) an anti-shipping mission against surface vessels, with working A.I., AAA, guns, bombs and missiles, then we could declare we reached an alpha.

Not yet, but lets cross our fingers for his success. :)

dude, you have my confidence.

it sounds like you're organised, have goals and doing things sensibly :)

who's your designer? (i'll go look on the website...)

hey what tipe of pc do you will need to play the game ? it sound like a good one

and when do you wiil finish the spanish web page?

post-65-1091234416_thumb.jpg