Sign in to follow this  
Bandy

Something I noticed in random missions

Hello,

As I've been testing tiles lately I have relied on single missions for any flying I've done, almost always defensive patrols.

As far as I know a defensive patrol should not limit the type of NME AC that shows up. However all I have seen for the past few months are scouts!!! No 2-seaters or bombers AT ALL.

In ruminating on this I think it may be due to sampling bias and the fact that there has been a proliferation of variants available for each fighter, i.e. Camel 110, 150, 180; SPAD with Lewis, with 2xLewis, with Vickers, with Vickers AND Lewis, N17 with... you get the idea.

The fact that there are so many variants swamps the random chance that a 2-seater or bomber will ever show up! Or at least that is my hypothesis. Anyone else have an opinion???

Other than culling the installed AC list, or flying campaigns (which I do love, but can't at this time), I see no way around to get more random single missions.

See your point.....

how about 'tuning' the overall stock of available aircrafts?

Example (I know it's an extreme one, but just to exemplify):

- Change the 'availability' to RARE for every fighter (Camel, etc.)

- Change the 'availaiblity' to VERY COMMON for every two seater

Now I know this is an extreme solution and needs to be tuned depending on the aircrafts sitting on your HD :grin:

Overall this is an extremely individual process, since not every player has the same ACs within the game.

..guess it's a matter of tuning and trial-and-error

PS: You might double-check the other entries within the data.ini files of the ACs you're missing (PrimaryRole, AircraftRole, etc.). Just to make sure........

just my 2cents

rgds

gterl

I think you may be correct, Bandy. I just did a quick survey of my aircraft folder and found 2 seaters only represented 31% of the aircraft in the folder. No wonder they don't show up. I don't think the game uses a bias to decide this, I think it might just use a raw percentage chance, and at 31% they don't have much chance of showing up. My suggestion is this: with any 2 seat aircraft that was used by more than one nation, like the Sopwith 1a2, make a copy of the folder somewhere else on your computer, then rename it in the ini and data.ini as a new aircraft of that other nationality, such as Sopwith 1a2 Belgian, Sopwith 1a2 USAS, etc., then copy them back into your aircraft folder. You could do the same thing with the Breguet if you have it, and the Salmson 2a2, even the RE8 (I know, they reengined and recowled them, but one example using an RAF engine sits in a Belgian museum, so you have a precedent). Just in these three aircraft, you've added six new types for the game to look at, without any new models being made. Remake your Halberstadt CL4 into a CL2, even though the model is wrong, the idea here is to create as many "new" 2 seaters as possible out of what you already have. I'm sleasy enough in fact to create Halb Cl4, Hannover CL2 and 3s, and DFWs as Bavarian versions, since Bavaria maintained her own army formations within the German army, even had her own General Staff, but that one might be too thin a thread of logic for many, so I apologize in advance. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to give this a try. Kind of busy right now, but I'll let you know what happens after I get done and have some time to fly.

Heck

Thanks gents.

Yes Heck, I thought of that too, but decided that to throw more HD space at the issue was not viable, especially since I hope to shift my sims drive to a solid state .

What I did for my Two-Seaters is I created a new "Aircraft" all together using different skins. Ex: I took the Hannover folder (by Laton) and copied it. Renamed it. Then renamed the ConfigSettings.ini and the DATA.ini inside the new folder. Then made a different skin the default TextureSet. Presto! I now have two different Hannover aircraft. If you do this to enough Two-Seaters you'll even out that ratio of fighters and two-seaters.

What I did for my Two-Seaters is I created a new "Aircraft" all together using different skins. ...

Hey, now I like that added benefit! Good idea.

It never ceased to annoy me that the default skin was all you got to see on random NME, that is, unless skin was assigned by squadron within a campaign.

What I did for my Two-Seaters is I created a new "Aircraft" all together using different skins. Ex: I took the Hannover folder (by Laton) and copied it. Renamed it. Then renamed the ConfigSettings.ini and the DATA.ini inside the new folder. Then made a different skin the default TextureSet. Presto! I now have two different Hannover aircraft. If you do this to enough Two-Seaters you'll even out that ratio of fighters and two-seaters.

Will this trick work also for campaigns?

In single missions as in patrols, you'll only see scouts. If you select intercept in single mission menu, you'll see 2 seaters and/or bombers. That's how it worked since FE1.

Falcon

In single missions as in patrols, you'll only see scouts. If you select intercept in single mission menu, you'll see 2 seaters and/or bombers. That's how it worked since FE1

If this is true (and it may very well be, I never paid that much attention before) then it makes absolutely no sense to restrict what shows up. Heck, they're supposed to be 'defensive patrols' so scouts or bombers should be able to show up, and an intercept should be the same way since you could be intercepting a reported flight of scouts, nit just bombers.

Maybe this is a throw back to the 3rd wire jet sim code?

I've done intercept missions and have come across bombers, two-seaters, and fighters as well. Most of the time the fighters have bombs though. But I have come across fighter that just want a good fight.