Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

The RFC and the Senussi Campaign, Egypt

Well, I downloaded and installed MAW 3.1, and it works well. However, when I modified if to accept OFF, it balked. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions, step by step, but the outcome has been that the OFF modded MAW starts up, goes through the first smaller MAW title page, then into the CFS-3 intro story. After that the larger MAW title page appears, and then the program crashes to the Desktop. I do have a couple of questions. First, in the aircraft folder in original MAW there are two "shared folders. One is "shared,"a and the other is "Shared hires Lores cockpit textures." Would that cause a problem? I disabled the "Hires" folder for no effect. The second concern the two "sound" files in the main MAW folder "sounds.xml" and "sounds.xm_." Would that cause a conflict in the OFF modded MAW? Any ideas?

That is so sweet, Lou! This oasis looks so inviting, so cute!

Man, do I understand, that you are building a whole campaign for Arabia there?

jlan5031, did you start with a fresh, unmodded CFS3 install to load MAW into? I did not disable the "shared hires Lores cockpit textures" folder, and I left the original "sounds.xm_" file in place. If you did start with a clean CFS3 install and followed all the steps and are having the issue you describe I'm betting it's a glitch in your "aircraft" folder. Try dropping the original MAW "aircraft" folder back in and see if it will work, and if it does add just two of the OFF planes, (one from each side), and paste the OFF "shared" folder items into the MAW "shared" folder, and try flying a QC with the two OFF planes. If it works you will know where the problem is hiding.

Olham, I am building a set of missions to generally follow the lines of the Western Desert campaign of 1915-16 in Egypt. If that goes well I may then move on to other campaigns in the MAW theatre. Glad you like the oasis. I did later discover that MAW has a small bedouin tent already in the "buildings" folder so I have swapped in a pair of those now for the oasis and am using the larger one I created in one of the missions to serve as the tent of Sheikh Sidi Ahmed, (the Senussi leader).

Cheers!

Lou

RAF_Louvert

Well, you were right. It was in the aircraft folder. I did as you suggested. At first I couldn't find the two OFF ac I added. It wasn't until I re-added all the OFF ac that the US flag appeared in the selection and I was able to find and select OFF ac.. So what I ended up doing was to reinstall everything following your directions, and now everything seems to work. I still haven't seen the OFF hangers, but maybe they'll show up in my planned wanderings.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. You've really done a good job!

jlan5031,

Glad you have it sorted out. As to the hangers; no, you won't see them until you have an airbase facility in your MAW OFF set-up that actually uses them. It was on my list because I have been reworking facilities and buildings and such to take advantage of the OFF atmospher. If you wish to see one of the reworked airbases with desert-toned WW1 appropriate hangers, here is a link to a folder download I just put together for you, (and anyone else who would like to use it):

OFF MAW Airbase Facility And Hanger Files

Just download it and unzip it. Then drop the "dr_airbase_s1afr" file into your OFF MAW "facilities" folder, allowing it to overwrite the old one. Next, go to your OFF MAW "buildings" folder and do the same with the "a_tenthangar1" folder, allowing it to also overwrite the old folder there. Now, go launch your OFF MAW set-up and go to QC, pick Egypt to fly in, and choose any of the following bases to take off from: Mersa Matruh, Burg el Arab, Sidi Barrani, Sollum, Halfaya, or Mischiefa. You should now see a Great War vintage desert aerodrome. Enjoy.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou,

Only just back from France - plenty of poppies in bloom over there - so not had a chance to put together all the files, but thanks for the PM! Will add that airfield RAR as soon as poss, although today might not be the day, as the crumpets and huns are facing off today, and I have an invite to a barbecue/consolation party...

Cheers,

Si

Hi Ya Si,

The poppies in full bloom in France, what a moving sight, eh? Enjoy the party, and good luck getting your OFF MAW up and running. BTW, here's a video to whet your appetite. I put this together and posted it yesterday, and it shows a fight I had in an Aussie Brisfit against a pair of DVs in the skies of Egypt.

A Desert Encounter

Cheers!

Lou