Sign in to follow this  
agwolf

How can I defend against SAM's

Even on easy mode SAM's are beating the pants off me. When I get a "SAM launch" warning what should I do next?

The same with "Missile Launch"

Get fast, get low, put the missile on the beam. Personally, I like the post hole manuver to accomplish all at the same time.

Deploy expendables, activate jamming.

Those are the simple steps...there are more complex considerations if you search for them.

FC

Hit CNTL-R as soon as you hear SAM launch. It will move your head to where the SAM is coming from.

Thx for the fast replys. Fast Cargo, sorry I don't know what "put the missile on the beam" or "the post hole manuver" is.

Please explain.

hello :)

Sam's dont manoeuver as well as a fighter because they go very fast..

DONT FLY STRAIGHT AND LEVEL BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU THE BEST TARGET EVER.. :(

If you fly very low and can dispense chaffs then you get a chance to survive...

If you are flying high, you must change your tragectory so that it is perpendicular to the sam trajectory

i.e. it should be on your side.. (left or right)

NEVER FLY WITH THE SAM BEHIND YOU OR IN FRONT OF YOU AT THE SAME LEVEL

(at least, change level to force it to manoeuver)

(making a hard descent does the trick for the old technology sam's)

RULE OF GOLD ;

IF YOU SEE THE SAM MOVING IT IS BECAUSE IT IS NOT POINTING AT YOU (good news) ;)

IF THE SAM LOOKS LIKE IT IS NOT MOVING ; IT IS POINTING AT YOU (BAD NEWS, HARD MANOEUVER REQUIRED)

You will fing hundreds of methods.. this is just one...

But with the new tech sams or missiles, well... ECM AND chaffs release AND manoeuver might not be enough....

If nothing is working: pull up hard , roll to the back, dive down hard.

Thx for the fast replys. Fast Cargo, sorry I don't know what "put the missile on the beam" or "the past whole maneuver" is.

Please explain.

To put the SAM on the beam means that you set a course so the missile comes from your sides, when your bearing relative to him will change more rapidly. What he said, along with Ctrl-R then F8 keys as USAFMTL mentioned, should be enough. Personally, i prefer, turn into the missile and dive below him.

About ECM and decoys; ECMs are like splashing the water: They will have it harder to lock onto you, but they will know you are there, so i would suggest to have them of unless being painted (If you have RWR it will beep mad, if you don´t, lit them when it is clear that they see you) and the most effective way to deploy chaff is while you have the SAM on the beam, so your aircraft and the decoys diverge fast from the missile point of view. Good luck!

Guest flavius_opium_maccus

Even on easy mode SAM's are beating the pants off me. When I get a "SAM launch" warning what should I do next?

The same with "Missile Launch"

When you're in mission (on your way to the target) press from time to time "E".This will show you the ground target the pilot sees near aircraft (CTRL+E shows you the closest GROUND target near your plane) and consult map (press "M"). As soon as your pilot, by pressing "E", sees ground targets, they will show up on the map, too and you 'll see them , if looking directly to them , surrounded by a little RED square. Keep in mind that it's best to prevent something than trying to solve when it already happened ;), so that's why you must keep an eye what's in front of you, when going to the target (in the air, and on the ground)

Now for the SAMs...I don't know what plane you fly but modern ones, F-4 , F-15 and F-16 have AUDIO warnings. That means when a ground radar (SAM radar) spoted you (the radar is tracking you) you will hear beeps repeating themselves regularly. When the SAM fired the missile , the sound will change to some fast streams of beeps. When this is the case, you press as soon as possible CTRL+R (that will simulate the pilot head movement into the direction of the threat ! ) and you switch to F6 (outside aircraft view) and you look (you'll see the missile smoke, even if it is far away) and you manouver your plane upwards (afterburners ON) and launch some decoy (chaffs - you press "C") and try to put distance between you and the direction where the missile comes from. After 5-10 secomds of climbing, dive imediately and throw , again, some chaffs (decoys for the SA missile). Keep in mind that the closer the SAM is , the less time you have for fouling the missile. That's why I adviced you above to...PREVENT and WATCH what's in front of you.

If you fly a modern aircraft you can keep an eye on the RWR display and try foul the missile from here, instead of switching to outside view. Its panel is somewhere in front of you and to the right. (It's round and has a black-green shade) . When the radar is tracking you, you'll see a green dot pulsing. When the SAM fired at you, that dot will pulse wildely and the sound of it accordingly as stated above. If you have ECM (jammer capabilities installed on board of your plane, the moern ones have it built-in) turn it ON (press "Z", default key) even from the beginning of your mission. The jamming device will make harder for the SAM radar to lock on you and fire the missile;)

I hope that helped.

Edited by flavius_opium_maccus

Thanks also from me for these replies, as i too am learning the sim and wished to beat the Sams.

I have mapped the chaff and flares commands to my hotas, but when i press the buttons i get a " 0 chaff " or "0 flares" comes up- Do i have to load these before the mission? I can't see where to do that when i load the ordnance. Thanks.

Thanks also from me for these replies, as i too am learning the sim and wished to beat the Sams.

I have mapped the chaff and flares commands to my hotas, but when i press the buttons i get a " 0 chaff " or "0 flares" comes up- Do i have to load these before the mission? I can't see where to do that when i load the ordnance. Thanks.

What aircraft are you flying? Some don't have flares or chaffs, unless you manually load a countermeasure pod that has them (although there are no such pods in the stock game).

F-15's have the countermeasures internaly by default. The tornado, for example, usually carries a pod (loaded from the loadout screen) that has countermeasures. Early F-4's didn't usually have them at all (internall or externally).

Edited by malibu43

[Цитата имя = 'Дата Fortiesboy' = "14 июня 2010 - 9:43 утра 'метка = '1276530201' пост = '419784 ']

Спасибо и от меня за эти ответы, а я тоже учусь симулятор и пожелал, чтобы бить Самс.

У меня отображается плевел и вспышек команды на мой HOTAS, но когда я нажимаю на кнопку я получить "0 полова" или "0 вспышек" подходит-ли я загружать их до миссии? Я не вижу, где это делать, когда я загрузить боеприпасов. Спасибо.

[/] Цитатой

Вспышки и половы только F-15, F-16, F-4. Без вспышек и половы нужно нырнуть с поворотом до 20-200м. (70-600feet) высоты и летать 10-15км. низкая в этой зоне пожара SAM.

post-58494-070043700 1276536273.jpg

post-58494-005877700 1276536443.jpg

What aircraft are you flying? Some don't have flares or chaffs, unless you manually load a countermeasure pod that has them (although there are no such pods in the stock game).

F-15's have the countermeasures internaly by default. The tornado, for example, usually carries a pod (loaded from the loadout screen) that has countermeasures. Early F-4's didn't usually have them at all (internall or externally).

Thanks - that answers it! I have been flying only the Phantom so far!!

Guest flavius_opium_maccus

Keep in mind that developing decoys and their implement took time as anything else. Check before you go into mission the DATE! If you wanna skip painful moments, choose anything past '80s.Modern jetfighter corresponding of those years HAD decoys dispensers on board. Just use them , pressing the right keys.

If you wanna stick to old era jets and still wanna have decoys , I can teach you how to edit a jet data file , this way flying , in the end, an old plane with chaffs and plenty of flares...lol

[Цитата имя = 'Дата Fortiesboy' = "14 июня 2010 - 9:43 утра 'метка = '1276530201' пост = '419784 ']

Спасибо и от меня за эти ответы, а я тоже учусь симулятор и пожелал, чтобы бить Самс.

У меня отображается плевел и вспышек команды на мой HOTAS, но когда я нажимаю на кнопку я получить "0 полова" или "0 вспышек" подходит-ли я загружать их до миссии? Я не вижу, где это делать, когда я загрузить боеприпасов. Спасибо.

[/] Цитатой

Вспышки и половы только F-15, F-16, F-4. Без вспышек и половы нужно нырнуть с поворотом до 20-200м. (70-600feet) высоты и летать 10-15км. низкая в этой зоне пожара SAM.

некоторые самолеты не имеют половы и сигнальные ракеты, только самые современные виды этого

Yeah, i speak russian.

Some of us dont, so plz keep it in english.

Kā uzdrīkstēties šo maz zēns pastāstiet mums, ko darīt mūsu mājas lapā. Kas viņš domā viņš ir?

Some of us dont, so plz keep it in english.

Reservspole?

DSCF0044.jpg

Cauruļu dejotājs????

Pa haj kad smo navali li svi na drugim jezikima da pricamo mogao sam i ja onda malo.

I think there are many parameters that affect SAM's performance.

1. SAM's and aircraft's ability to manuever

If a SAM is very manueverable, then it can hit more easily a manueverable aircraft. I believe it is clear to everyone that an aircraft flying straight at the same level is a very easy target.

2. SAM's and aircraft's speed

If the target is an aircraft with a maximum speed of 500 kts then, a 2+ mach SAM can easily hit the target even in long distance. I remember once when playing WOI, my F-4E had been locked by a SA-6 but I didn't gave so much importance because the distance was already 10nm and I was heading to the opposite direction with a speed of about 500-550 kts. I thought it would be very difficult for the SA-6 to hit my F-4E but finally the Phantom was shot down! Don't underestimate a SAM even if it is a 1957 SA-2.

3. Aircraft's altitude

An aircraft flying at 10.000 ft can be hit much more easily than an aircraft at 600 ft. But I think this can be a method to avoid older SAMs such as MIM-23, SA-2, SA-3, SA-6, SA-7 etc. MIM-104 or SA-8 for example can hit targets flying close to the ground.

4. Aircraft's heading

If the aircraft is getting close to the SAM launcher, then a high - G manuever may be enough and the SAM could not be able to follow the target. But an aircraft flying at the opposite direction is in more danger. Remeber the example with the Phantom before.

Of course chaffs are very important. If an aircraft can carry many chaffs, it is possible to avoid many SAMs

Edited by tiopilotos

off topic: tiopilots, i LOVE your signature picture drinks.gif

[/] Цитатой

Flares&chaff have only F-15,F-16,F-4. Without flares&chaff you need dive with turn to 20-200m.(70-600feet) altitude and fly 10-15km. low in this SAM fire zone.

Oh, no, the latvian mafia strikes again!

Back on topic, from this Phantom you´ll learn the top four methods for defending against SAMs

c22-287-2.jpg

Oh, no, the latvian mafia strikes again!

Back on topic, from this Phantom you´ll learn the top four methods for defending against SAMs

c22-287-2.jpgYou can used 1 Rockeye for Fun Song Radar and continued fly to the target.