Sign in to follow this  
themightysrc

Multiple CS3 installations

Hi all,

When I first installed CFS3 prior to OFF, I let it install as Microsoft intended - for good or for worse - however now I'd like to have another install of CFS3 on my rig so I can add in MAW and enough OFF files to have a Middle East setting for Egyptian and Mesopotamian fun and frolics, unfortunately no matter how I try to access the first CD, it only offers me the options to run CFS3 or else uninstall it.

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction here and tell me how I can end up with multiple CFS3 installs?

Cheers

Si

You don't re-install anything. Just right click on your folder and "copy" then paste it where ever you want. Rename it to what ever you want. Presto, another working folder that you can mod to your hearts content.

Winston,

D'oh!

It's that easy?

<kicks self repeatedly in nadgers>

Cheers, mate!

Winston,

D'oh!

It's that easy?

<kicks self repeatedly in nadgers>

Cheers, mate!

Yes, it's a wonderful thing. And great for making a backup of your OFF installation when you're sure everything is working properly. If you have any problems down the road, you can simply delete the faulty folder and play the game from your backup folder. Beats reinstalling any day!

It might not be quite that simple, depending what you want to do.

If you want to install MAW, then you'll need a 'vanilla' copy of CFS3, patched to 3.1a and the excellent MAW installer does all the rest. Same goes for ETO, PTO and Korean Skies afaik.

If you want more than one copy of dear old CFS3, you'll need Martin Wright's MultiCFS3. Without it, all your CFS3 installations share the same config folders and files and adjusting settings in one install affects the rest too.

Someone's bound to ask, so you might want to do that to keep development models etc away from your main copy. I certainly don't want any wonky model I build to screw a pilot's campaign until I'm sure it's safe to be released.....

It might not be quite that simple, depending what you want to do.

If you want to install MAW, then you'll need a 'vanilla' copy of CFS3, patched to 3.1a and the excellent MAW installer does all the rest. Same goes for ETO, PTO and Korean Skies afaik.

If you want more than one copy of dear old CFS3, you'll need Martin Wright's MultiCFS3. Without it, all your CFS3 installations share the same config folders and files and adjusting settings in one install affects the rest too.

Someone's bound to ask, so you might want to do that to keep development models etc away from your main copy. I certainly don't want any wonky model I build to screw a pilot's campaign until I'm sure it's safe to be released.....

+1

plug_nickel

I need some help, please. I got interested in RAF_Louvert's desert combination OFF/MAW modification. I was pointed in the right direction to download MAW. Having done so, I found the stock MAW 3.1 interesting enough to keep for itself. I made a copy, disabled it, and modified the original to the OFF version (all done with a lot of appreciated help). Now I have three separate versions, OFF, OFF/MAW, and MAW. To switch between the MAW and OFF/MAW versions, I need to disable one and enable the other. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll mess the games up when I click on the MAW short cuts. When the switch has been made, the enabled game loads improperly, and a window appears stating a mission failed to load. I discovered if I just went ahead and clicked on the Quick Combat tag, the game righted itself, played normally, and from then on would load properly.

The help, I'd like, is information about how to go into the files and folders in the OFF/MAW version, change the cfs3.exe, into another name, so that it will load separately from the stock MAW version. I don't know if I can do that. If that's possible, is the next step to change the game folder's name to the same?

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.

Part of the problem is solved. I threw caution to the winds, renamed the game folder and cfs3.exe to OFFMAW and it worked. I nolonger have to enable and disable to get the two versions to work separately. However, the first time for each, I get the "mission failed" message. I can get by it, as before, but I don't know what's causing it. Any ideas?