Sign in to follow this  
komemiute

How to create a pilot skin in WOV

As per Object...

I want to create for my Pilot the skin to match my real Flight Helmet...

Assuming I'm actually skilled with photoshop and digital painting, how do I do that?

How to extract the right file?

How to re-put it in?

^_^ Thanks in advance.

K'mute

to know what to extract, look in the data.ini file from the plane you want your pilot to sit in

then, either, you only want this new repaint to be avbl(and somehow loose the stock pilot (not exactly correct..), and then, extract the lod and bmp and save them in the aircraft folder (the folder named aircraft, not the one you chose)

then, repaint hte bmp as desired

exemple:

using the A-6A_data.ini file

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

PilotModelName=PilotN1

Position=-0.35,1.15,0.85

SeatModelName=seat_f-4

SeatPosition=-0.35,1.15,0.48

MinExtentPosition=-0.85, 0.49,-0.35

MaxExtentPosition= 0.00, 1.81, 0.91

CanopyNodeName=Canopy

this can be found in "crew" section, PilotN1.LOD, PilotN1.BMP would be the files you need to extract and store in "aircraft" folder

now, if you want your skin to be considered as an extra set, some more work is required to duplicate/mod an existing pilot

why not just repaint a pre-exsiting one? We've plenty of modern western pilot skins ... the hardest part is the internal hex editing of the PilotXXX.lod to rename the bmp to match your 'new' skin.

I'd reccomend any of Old Diego's skins, as they're fairly large, and easy to work with.

there's a tutorial I wrote a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago on creating new pilots; it may have disappeared in one or another of the upgrades; if you need help, shout out. The hex editing, literally, only takes a few seconds

wrench

kevin stein

Whoa Wrench,

that's a lot of help, really.

OK, I got a skin of a white helmeted pilot free to be modified by me.

I'm then shoting now, I need you tutorial.

Many many thanks in advance. Really. ^^,

K'mute

Sony Tucson: thanks to you too, but what you write is a bit beyond me. Need a tutorial. Need to get things from the base up. ^_^ Thanks anyway.

Edited by komemiute

my Spanish is VERY limited, but you covered the basics! The only thing missing is the renaming of the skin bitmap, and the hex editing of the LOD, and "saving as..." to create a new pilot .

Let's say you've repainted the HGU-26AW (the plane white helmet) to how you like it. Now, it's important to SAVE that skin bmp with a unique name, that is a MAXIMUM 8 digits long (not counting the extension -> .bmp)

For exampling, we'll call the pilot Wrench01 (note the length - 8 digits). The number MUST be exacly the same as the original skin's name length -this is VERY critical!!! If the name you choose has less than the exact number, you can fill the empty spots with 0 or the dash (-). That's why I used the 01, to fill the length.

So, you have a newly repainted and renamed skin bmp, you've chosen a LOD to edit, and have an ini to edit. The ini is the easiset and simplest ... most pilots use 2 lods, as you can see below (again, the HGU-26AW)

[LOD001]

Filename=HGU26AW.lod

Distance=40

[LOD002]

Filename=HGU26AW_lod002.lod

Distance=200

So, we edit the names of the lods we're going to use in the HGU-26AW.ini...

[LOD001]

Filename=Wrench01.lod

Distance=40

[LOD002]

Filename=Wrench01_lod002.lod

Distance=200

Now, do a "save as..." on the ini to match the name: Wrench01.ini And now, that's taken care of.

The fun part begins now ... the hex editing. I use XVI32; it's freeware and pretty easy to use. As the existing pilot lods are NOT in unicode, it works fine (it'll also open unicode lods,if you tell it to)

So, with XVI32 installed, and it's properties set (ie: open LOD with this program), double click on the HGU-26AW.lod. You'll see something like the image below (but that's a later shot). Open the SEARCH tab, and FIND...

you'll have a blank space, and type bmp into it. Make sure "Text String" is checked. Then, "OK". You'll find there are 3 instances of 'bmp' in BOTH lods (LOD and _lod002.lod) and you'll need to change all of them to match the NEW skin bmps name.

After changing the all the bmp names, you'll have to "SAVE AS..." the lod, with your new name. And that's pretty much it.

Getting your new pilot in game, is exactly as desriped by Sony above. You'll also find more information at my site .. follow the link below in my signature; there's 2 pages of pilot figures there.

wrench

kevin stein