Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Swanp Ghost

http://aeroarchaeology.com/

LONG BEACH, Calif., June 11 /PRNewswire/ -- It's a sacrifice Americans said they would never forget. And today, more than 68 years since a group of young U.S. servicemen in a B-17E Flying Fortress crash-landed in a primitive New Guinea swamp, a group of the air crew's surviving relatives and supporters will welcome home the fallen aircraft to honor the heroes of World War II.

A formation flyover by a vintage P-51 Mustang and P-40 Warhawk above the Long Beach Harbor will launch a ceremony to unveil the recovered bomber, nicknamed Swamp Ghost and known by historians as the Holy Grail of military aviation. A flag presentation by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard and remarks from recovery team members will highlight the event, to be held at 10:30am in the parking lot of The Reef restaurant, 880 Harbor Scenic Drive, where the plane's remarkably intact front fuselage will be on display.

SwampGhost05lg.jpg

Great job, fascinating story !!!!:good:

Hou doe,

Derk

Indeed, but to be honest I would find it more interesting to maintain the aircraft in its current condition instead of trying to restore it.

"known by historians as the Holy Grail of military aviation"

Really? I don't see any reason why this has any more claim to such a dubious title than many others like Glacier Girl. Journalistic hyperbole really ruins things that are genuinely interesting for me.