Sign in to follow this  
column5

SF2: Tomcat Speculation

So I was thinking about the new SF2 game announced by TK, and I have decided based on what little info has been revealed that the scenario is going to be the Iran-Iraq war with a fictional scenario in which the US participates on the side of Iraq.

I believe this because it will allow the F-14 to appear as both a player aircraft and as an AI enemy aircraft. It also allows TK to maximize the re-use of existing assets, as the Iranians flew several versions of the F-4. The new AI aircraft would be the several versions of the F-5 that Iran used during this time frame. The Iraqis of course had numerous types of MiG which TK already has.

On the American side, TK already has the A-6 and A-7 which shared the deck with the F-14 during this period, and players could also fly USN F-4s against Iranian Tomcats as the F-4 remained on the Midway class carriers until replaced by Hornets. We could hope for an AI E-2. USAF aircraft are also already avaialble to TK, including the F-4, F-16, F-15, A-7 etc. An AI F-111 would be a great addition in keeping with the swing-wing theme of the game.

The time frame of 1980-1988 might seem to be pusing the avionics boundaries, but all of the necessary aicraft except the Hornet (which didn't appear in the fleet until about 1984) are based on 1960s and 1970s tech anyway.

Any thoughts?

welllll....if he DOES give us Iran/Irag, I guess I can stop work on revamping the old map, huh?? The IsraelME tileset would be very good for that terrain

wrench

kevin stein

I don't think we're looking at an Iran-Iraq conflict because it falls outside the timeframe TK likes to play in. Plus, he gave a major hint on the Thirdwire Facebook that while the pictures of the Tomcat (wearing US gull grey-over-white) was on the SF2:I terrain, the campaign in the next game would take place further north. I think we're looking at a potential North Cape situation that is a stand-alone expansion of the campaigns we get in SF2:E.

Either way, there's a Tomcat in that box. I'm buying on day 1.

Well it'll be download only, so it won't be in the box :wink:

The Iran/Iraq war makes a hell of a lot of sense, especially given a fictional intervention with the US navy. But it is stretching TKs time period (although I vaguely remember him saying something about doing more early 80's after WOI came out)

What I'm really curious about is the way the new terrain works. He said it didn't use a new terrain editor on his forums, but that we coud update terrains to the new standards.

Very curious. Could it use landclass data like the MSFS instead of the tilesets we're used to? How would it be made? Combining some kind of vector data to mark out boundaries of water and land types combined with a heightmap? I wonder if we'll see better resolution or a better way to have targets or trees placed on maps.

Well, TK did state that a fictional scenario was on the menu....

IIRC, TK said it's going to be a "what if" release in the same universe as "what if" SF2:E only in a different locaton. Could be taking place at the same time as 1979 SF2E campaign. Somewhere over Bering Strait?

So I was thinking about the new SF2 game announced by TK, and I have decided based on what little info has been revealed that the scenario is going to be the Iran-Iraq war with a fictional scenario in which the US participates on the side of Iraq.

I believe this because it will allow the F-14 to appear as both a player aircraft and as an AI enemy aircraft. It also allows TK to maximize the re-use of existing assets, as the Iranians flew several versions of the F-4. The new AI aircraft would be the several versions of the F-5 that Iran used during this time frame. The Iraqis of course had numerous types of MiG which TK already has.

On the American side, TK already has the A-6 and A-7 which shared the deck with the F-14 during this period, and players could also fly USN F-4s against Iranian Tomcats as the F-4 remained on the Midway class carriers until replaced by Hornets. We could hope for an AI E-2. USAF aircraft are also already avaialble to TK, including the F-4, F-16, F-15, A-7 etc. An AI F-111 would be a great addition in keeping with the swing-wing theme of the game.

The time frame of 1980-1988 might seem to be pusing the avionics boundaries, but all of the necessary aicraft except the Hornet (which didn't appear in the fleet until about 1984) are based on 1960s and 1970s tech anyway.

Any thoughts?

"Yalla Yalla, F-14!!!"

*dies* :tongue:

It's an interesting idea, but I don't see that happening. It simply doesn't seem to be very appealing.

I would like to see a Fleet Defenderish scenario....be it either the North Atlantic or the Bering Strait. I would also not mind if it's set in a 1975-1983 time frame, meaning no Hornet.

Any thoughts?

Yep my take on it was a what if 1980 Iran hostage crisis gone hot scenario when first saw his tomcat teaser thread. Would be a great reason to finally tune the flight engine for helicopter operations. Desert one/ operation eagle claw anyone?

The carriers on gonzo station were the nimitz , Coral sea, and for a time the Midway and Ranger if I remember correctly . If that were the case we would be seeing a Thirdwire F-4N and perhaps an F-4S in addition to the F-14A... now wouldn't that be something.

Allot of people don't realize how close it came to strikes on Iranian targets, the Air wings of both carriers were marked with special red and black Identification stripes in preparation for an all out attack.

I don't think we're looking at an Iran-Iraq conflict because it falls outside the timeframe TK likes to play in. Plus, he gave a major hint on the Thirdwire Facebook that while the pictures of the Tomcat (wearing US gull grey-over-white) was on the SF2:I terrain, the campaign in the next game would take place further north. I think we're looking at a potential North Cape situation that is a stand-alone expansion of the campaigns we get in SF2:E.

Either way, there's a Tomcat in that box. I'm buying on day 1.

yes i think it will be north too.

but before that i'm curious too about the 2 expansion pack coming for sf2e and sf2

Yep my take on it was a what if 1980 Iran hostage crisis gone hot scenario when first saw his tomcat teaser thread. Would be a great reason to finally tune the flight engine for helicopter operations. Desert one/ operation eagle claw anyone?

The carriers on gonzo station were the nimitz , Coral sea, and for a time the Midway and Ranger if I remember correctly . If that were the case we would be seeing a Thirdwire F-4N and perhaps an F-4S in addition to the F-14A... now wouldn't that be something.

Allot of people don't realize how close it came to strikes on Iranian targets, the Air wings of both carriers were marked with special red and black Identification stripes in preparation for an all out attack.

TK has made no secret of out the fact that despite the P-51 was included as an player aircraft he has not implemented a prop FM with all the bells and whistles. And since I do think including a dedicated helicopter FM would require even more work, I say there is no chance that he will be going for that. And to be honest I also don't think that a full scale Eagle Claw operation with Carrier groups joining the fray would be enough for a full scale campaign. Not to mention that Iran was that point still in state of post-revolutionary chaos...

I wish new game will be over Mediterranean Sea near Libya (where was first shoot down by Tomcat), Tunisia and maybe Malta, Sicily... And few carriers of course.

It could be the South Pole... But I like the idea of the North Cape or even Vladivostok on the other side... but if I had to place a bet I would say its North Cape / GIUK Gap area...

It could be the South Pole...

No way! What about The Thing? If it gets its "hands" on a jet it'll take over the globe in a week.

It could be the South Pole... But I like the idea of the North Cape or even Vladivostok on the other side... but if I had to place a bet I would say its North Cape / GIUK Gap area...

yes i bet on that too

hadn't been be covered sinced the now ef2000 simulator and will fit exactly in a full scale war in europe as described in sf2E, since if a war have waged in central europe, the soviet fleet surely strike in north atlantic by the north cape and giuk gap

it will be like a revival

Edited by Murphy'S

I still think it will be about Lybia...

It COULD be an addon to Vietnam, as the Tomcat was in service for the closing days of the war there and a fictional extension of the war into the middle 70s would allow the reuse of pretty much all his planes.

If I recall, the most unique role of F-14 used by Iran, Shah or Ayatollah, was MiG-25 killer. To do F-14 justice, TK would have to releace a Thudwire MiG-25.

I would think the idea would be to showcase the F-14's abilities: using the Phoenix to stop Bears from hitting the carrier group. North Atlantic/GIUK/Baltic?

Or the idea would be to expand on the area where the F-14 was actually used: Libya. Fictional escalation of conflict beyond SEAD strikes and 2 vs 2 fighter encounters. MiG-25 could be AI, again to showcase F-14 ability with Phoenix. I don't see TK releasing a game with a time frame beyond 1982.

North Atlantic/GIUK fleet defense fits well with SF2E universe.

I do hope you guys are right about the game having a fleet defense scenario. The reason I'm not so sure is that setting the game in the North Sea, or GIUK area, limits scenarios to A2A only, unless TK plans to significantly enhance the anti-shipping missions. While my nickle is still bet on some sort of conflict with Iran, I would be happy to be wrong. :drinks:

I will prefer a scenario with land we can bomb, a A-A scenario only will be really boring, and I will not count with a good depict of naval ops as TK never did it before.

"Swing Wings over Lybia" the new Name for the game, I would like to see that`s you can fly for both sides, maybe a MiG-25 or a 23 would be nice to have ingame ;)

I will prefer a scenario with land we can bomb, a A-A scenario only will be really boring, and I will not count with a good depict of naval ops as TK never did it before.

TK's sims have always been focused on air combat, the air-to-ground stuff has always been very basic, if not to say limited (AI and LGBs anyone?) and one reason I do like his sims is that they don't crave to knock you out with the latest weapon tech bling. I don't expect TK to reinvent the wheel really. All I do want is a good-looking turkey, some slightly (?) smarter AI, especially with regard to handling AAMs, task groups to operate from and a nice challenging enemy, and in my honest opinion neither Iran or Libya fit in that category.

it's a long time before tk release the sim

who knows what he'll be able to implement (i bet a least on a multi targeting radar system)

so we'll see.

it's a long time before tk release the sim

Not in the world of software development. If he is able to meet his release date of Christmas 2010, that gives him 191 days, 11 hours and 21 minutes from the time of this post.

well, with any luck the revamped Libya terrain will be out by the weekend, giving the Turkey's a better sandbox to play in.

Just need more Libyan birds for them to shoot down!!!

(now, if I could only fix the 'leaking mountains...')

wrench

kevin stein