Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

WOE- basic update questions

Hello all= I am returning to Strikefighters after some years absence.

I understood the sim well once, but the old brain has forgotten a lot of it.

I bought WOE online and I think I need to download an Oct2008 update. On the downloads page which download is it? The one named Oct2008b?

When I ran SF before I used EAWEURo 1.5 terrain mod. Is this still applicable or is it superceded? I see loads of terrain mods- I'd like the best european terrain. I see a Hi res mod to?

Please suggest which to download,

There is so much info mentioned in the stickys etc, but I find it a bit confusing!

Also do I need a cat extractor? where to dowload and instructions how to use please?

TIA

Welcome back!!! Salute.gif

The .cat extractor is in the downloads section for SF1 on page 5. It is good to have, and I am the least capable modder here but manage to use it ok for things like pilot skin mods.

The patch I use is the OCT2008 one, I use it for all three of my SF stuff. It works great, and the patch for WOV seems to include some terrain mods as it makes my computer work a little harder than it does for WOI. The WOI patch gives you some more aircraft to fly in campaign mode, also very nice!! For WOE there is an expansion pack called NATO Fighters; it's a 4 part download and install, very nice pack. It includes terrain work and a huge expansion of planes used in campaigns and user created single missions. There is also a neato runway mod that makes the runways look a little more realistic, a real treat!! This file can be found in the SF1 downloads section on this path:

SF1> SF/WO Maps/Terrains> Tilesets.

It's on page two, called Hi_Res Runway Textures V2.0

Now, all of that said, MiG Buster has said that if you are running Vista or 7 to get SF2. I guess it is designed specifically for these two operating systems, but I have been to chicken to try them out myself as I am just getting comfortable changing things around on SF1, er, with minimal success lol. Anything crazier than this will need to come from the likes of MiG, Wrench, and some others that are VERY knowledgeable on this game. Good luck and if you have questions then send me a message and I will see if I can help or point you in the right direction.

~Stingray

Edited by Stingray72

Stingray- Thanks very much for your welcome

Your post is one of the nicest I have had when asking for help. I'll chase up your suggestions and see how things pan out.

I do very much like terrain. Must I choose one and stick with it? If there are alternatives, ie Euro 1.5 do I need another instal onanother path-if so, I'll stick with one.

Is there a tutorial on navigating etc when using Hard settings?

cheers

Guest flavius_opium_maccus

Welcome back!!! Salute.gif

The .cat extractor is in the downloads section for SF1 on page 5. It is good to have, and I am the least capable modder here but manage to use it ok for things like pilot skin mods.

The patch I use is the OCT2008 one, I use it for all three of my SF stuff. It works great, and the patch for WOV seems to include some terrain mods as it makes my computer work a little harder than it does for WOI. The WOI patch gives you some more aircraft to fly in campaign mode, also very nice!! For WOE there is an expansion pack called NATO Fighters; it's a 4 part download and install, very nice pack. It includes terrain work and a huge expansion of planes used in campaigns and user created single missions. There is also a neato runway mod that makes the runways look a little more realistic, a real treat!! This file can be found in the SF1 downloads section on this path:

SF1> SF/WO Maps/Terrains> Tilesets.

It's on page two, called Hi_Res Runway Textures V2.0

Now, all of that said, MiG Buster has said that if you are running Vista or 7 to get SF2. I guess it is designed specifically for these two operating systems, but I have been to chicken to try them out myself as I am just getting comfortable changing things around on SF1, er, with minimal success lol. Anything crazier than this will need to come from the likes of MiG, Wrench, and some others that are VERY knowledgeable on this game. Good luck and if you have questions then send me a message and I will see if I can help or point you in the right direction.

~Stingray

Great package , by the way. I used in WOV, years ago one of the first of its kind. I forgot about them. Thanks to you I loaded the latest patch and use it now, though loading times are greater now.

Edited by flavius_opium_maccus

Stingray- Thanks very much for your welcome

Your post is one of the nicest I have had when asking for help. I'll chase up your suggestions and see how things pan out.

I do very much like terrain. Must I choose one and stick with it? If there are alternatives, ie Euro 1.5 do I need another instal onanother path-if so, I'll stick with one.

Is there a tutorial on navigating etc when using Hard settings?

cheers

For navigation most of the stock jets have a moving needle on the compass like devices - you will notice that this points in the direction of your next waypoint - normally just put the tip of the needle at 360 degrees (12oclock) - if you reference the map you will see you should be going the right way.

For terrains - no idea would have to download the lot and try them out - which I'm not going to do. You can though - one thing to do is find the Terrain folder (C:\GAMES\WOE\Terrain)

You will have a GermanyCE folder in there - thats the default

Create some other folders so you end up with:

C:\GAMES\WOE\Terrain\GermanyCE

C:\GAMES\WOE\Terrain\GermanyCE_test1

C:\GAMES\WOE\Terrain\GermanyCE_test2

copy GermanyCE.ini and GermanyCE.cat into GermanyCE_test1 and GermanyCE_test 2 etc

Then download a terrain - shove the files in a GermanyCE_testx folder

then when you are ready:

1. Rename the default GermanyCE to GermanyCE_Def for example

2. Rename GermanyCE_test1 to GermanyCE so the game will now use that one.

etc etc

that way you can test and compare.

As always beware that old ini files will be used by the game over the newer game ones - so you may sometimes have to extract the newer ini and see what needs changing.

Edited by MigBuster

Also, on the nav thing...

The moving needle MiG was talking about is pretty simple. On your compass too there is a line that if you are on course will run in the middle of your compass; it's almost two pieces, an outer compass/heading ring, and the inner rdial which shows left or right on intended track. As you drift left or right the line drifts as well. So if you are trying for a course due north or 000 degrees and you are on your track then there will be one solid line from top to bottom of your compass. If you move around for missile avoidance or something then pick up your original HEADING, again we'll say course 000, you might notice something like the your heading marker pointing to 000, but the line through the middle will have shifted off center to the left. This means that you are heading on the course you want, but not at your waypoint, and you will need to come left to regain your trackline to your next waypoint. If you steer just at your intended course you will miss your waypoint wide right.

It is a little confusing, but try it out. also, if you get to where you can't figure it out then check out the nav tutorial on LOMAC lol. Yep, I went there. I learned about the compasses when I was trying to fly that pig of a game. If you pick the A-10 and do the Navigation Tutorial it explains what I was just talking about and also does it as an instructor, so you get to just sit with the plane in auto pilot while the instructor talks and flies, and you can see it visually all of the stuff I just explained. Most helpful!!!

Good luck and hit us back if you have questions. MiG, again, you never cease to amaze me with your in depth knowledge of the SF platforms. Bravo Zulu Sir!!

:salute:

~Stingray

Thanks a lot chaps. I'm not too bad now on the nav thing.! My big problem now is finding ground targets, on normal settings I'm Ok, more or less, but I cannot see how you can find anything on Hard settings throughout.

Anyone?

Am I right in thinking that you have to use the search mode in radar to see ground targets painted, and then to be able to acquire and lock them?

On the ground radar I see targets apparently painted but I cannot seem to acquire them and therefore lock them? I cannot see much use for the ground radar. Am I missing something?

Is the sim meant to be played at ALL hard settings, and if so, are there any tutorials anywhere?

Thanks

To see ground targets withut a marker is very difficult unless you have a hi res monitor and trackIR (so you can look around and zoom in easily)- then you can see smoke from muzzle flashes etc (well its easier in SF2)

If you dont have those things padlock may help, or set the hud only back to normal to get a red marker.

The Ground radar mode does show ground objects like AAA, Bridges, Buildings - but its best use is really allowing you to avoid the dots at low level