Sign in to follow this  
Rugbyfan1972

OFF Optimized setting for 5870

All,

Firstly I am going to publicly offer thanks to Von Paulus for his help and advice while I was choosing the components for this PC.

Well my new PC has finally arrived after taking 19 days to build and test (custom build):

3.4ghz Quad core Phenom

8GB Ram

2GB ATI 5870

1.5TB Hard Disk

DVD-Rom

DVD-R/W

850W PSU

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Ok now for the serious bit, can any of the ATI users out there give me any tips on how to set up OFF for optimal performance, as this is the first ATI card I have owned (I was an Nvidia user for 10 years).

I have briefly tried OFF after setting the max fps to 50 in the default directory, but in the brief flight I did I only got 31fps with everything maxed out. I realise I will get better framerates with the clouds on 1 instead of 5 and terrain on 4 instead of 5. So can anyone advise me on the overrides setting etc.

Thanks

Fenwick

Glad to know, that finnaly, you rig arrived well. good.gif

I've a ATI 4890, and use exactly the same settings as advised in the FAQ.

My Catlayst settings are AAx2, Anisotropic Filtering x4, Catalyst AI set for Standard, MipMap detail level set for Performance.

Von Paulus,

Thank you for the information regarding the FAQ settings, I had forgotten about them. Now if I can pick your brains regarding the windows 7 administrator setting, I keep getting "Access Denied" when I try to change text files for the various games that I have installed. I am running as the administrator, but it seems odd that I cannot save changes to files, although I can make changes to word documents without any problems.

Any help is gratefully received as I have got a lot to learn about windows 7 having made the jump straight from XP.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

You can always try to lower the security of your Windows UAC, at least momentaneously while you see if there is any effect. i confess that it was the first thing I did, after installing Win7. I just disabled it once and for all. But that's me, I have some trust on my firewall.

Are you sure that those text files aren't with the attributes set to Read only?

Were those files protected in your previous windows XP installation? Take a look at this thread.

RugbyFan,

I use essentially the same settings as Von Paulus. Be careful coosing the AntiAliasing mode in Catalyst. I've found that Super Sample AA turns the game into a slide show, especially in clouds. You'll may have better luck with Multi-Sample AA or Adaptive Multi-Sample AA.