Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

China Retires J-6s (MiG-19s)

From http://www.defencetalk.com/china-farewell-j-6-fighter-aircraft-26983/

BEIJING: People's Liberation Army Air Force held on Saturday an official farewell ceremony for the J-6, a Chinese-built version of the Soviet MiG-19 Farmer fighter aircraft, Chinese television reported.

Although the Soviet Union stopped production of MiG-19s in 1957, the Chinese came to value the plane's agility and powerful armament and produced about 4,000 J-6 fighters from 1958 to mid-1980s.

The J-6 was the core of the Chinese fighter fleet until mid-1990s. It was exported to many developing nations and took part in a number of armed conflicts, including the Vietnam War.

China retired J-6s from combat duties in 2005. However, they have been used up to now in small numbers as remote control target drones and pilot trainers.

The export version of the aircraft, the F-6, is reportedly still in active service in Iran, Myanmar, North Korea and Sudan.

The J-6 has a maximum speed of Mach 1.45 and a service ceiling of 17,900 m (58,700 ft). Combat radius with two drop tanks is about 640 km (400 mi).

In addition to the powerful cannon armament, most versions of the aircraft have a maximum payload of 500 kg (1,100 lb).

:salute:

Damn, less targets...

Guest rscsjsuso5

great post migbuster , either way the j-6 will be turned into drones or target practice one way or the other . wikipedia says this "People's Liberation Army Air Force - retired J-6 from combat duties at 2005, although they are still used as remote control target drones. A very small number of the twin-seat JJ-6 variant remain in use for pilot training missions, they are in the process of being replaced by the JL-8 trainer." , either way whether 2005 or 2010 .

i'm lmao dwcace at your reply , great reply

speaking of retirement of j-6 most chinese people don't even know it happened, i can clearly remember over on the island of taiwan the retirement of the f104. it brings tears to my eyes that these two cold war aircrafts that once flew over the taiwan strait with strength and air power is about to bring a chapter of air power threat be close for good and for peace .

drinks.gif

J-6 = dead ass MIG's......too bad, would been a turkey shoot....

I heared most of them are JJ-6 or JZ-6.

Looks L-15/JL-9 and J-8FR is ready to use...

About time. Those planes were completely obsolete and other than targets or UAVs are now useless.

maybe not so useless or gone. I've seen some speculation in various places that many are being configured for the drone role as massed decoys. In other words - fly several hundred in the first wave to soak up the air defenses. Might be a Turkey shoot - but what's then left in the ready duty ammo for the first real wave of Flanker variants?

something of speculation at this point, but we did something very similar in the first wave during Desert Storm. Worked nicely.......

Right, we used dedicated air-launched drones, though.

You wanna bet they're working on stealth versions of those now? Decoys that are hard to see and will fool the enemy into thinking they've just managed to track some stealthy planes and fire on them? I certainly would be making them if I was working in that area.

The only issue with converted A/C is they have all the same limitations as far as range, meaning that they'd only be able to launch them from their own soil and be incapable of AAR. Also, if you crowd your bases closest to the front with those, you have to keep your real planes farther back, adding to the logistical nightmare that is combat.

Amazing to think they have been going this long - I have Israeli pilots accounts for saying that MiG-19s were poor jets and easy targets - although suspect the Arab pilots had something to do with this. VPAF pilots are quoted as prefering the MiG-21(Faster) or MiG-17 (More agile) to the J-6. What did the Chinese see in a jet that the USSR didnt? Wasnt like they couldnt produce more advanced copies of Jets - like the J/F-7 even.

Would say it`s the mass they could launch, imagine a full J6 Strike Force against ground targets or an advancing army. Sure they are easier targets tahn modern jets, but still fast and they carry bombs and rockets. A lot of jets with even more amunition :good: and you will have some trouble to manage the situation.

Amazing to think they have been going this long - I have Israeli pilots accounts for saying that MiG-19s were poor jets and easy targets - although suspect the Arab pilots had something to do with this. VPAF pilots are quoted as prefering the MiG-21(Faster) or MiG-17 (More agile) to the J-6. What did the Chinese see in a jet that the USSR didnt? Wasnt like they couldnt produce more advanced copies of Jets - like the J/F-7 even.

Man,if you know when J-7s is ok to use is after 1980....

And J-8 completed it's desigh target is 2002....

Could be at the time they didn't believe in Missiles (The Chinese that is) and 3 30mm Guns on the front end could really ruin your day... Could also have been for China easier to produce whereas the Mig-21 they had was an early model and they needed time to update/modify it to their needs... Also Cheap to produce when you make 4000...!!!

Knowledge man!

now they are producing good fighter planes and are aiming to a 5th gen fighters, while some most devloped countries do not have plains to replace Rafales and Typhoons they have already started their 5th gen fighter study and now they have produced so far almost every fighter plane they fly , like USA grin.gif

its a long and slow process, they're gathering the results now...i wish my country could done something similar in the past, but the bugetary cuts in the 90's and early 2000's simply wiped out all brazil techological resuts we had in the past with Mb-326 and AMX...we basically still using foreing military equipment when the lack of vision of my pollitics killed our bellic program, a bad example of how to not get technology.

but silver when Russia invited Brazil to the sukhoi PAK-FA as a joint member along with India they refused,i think that was a good opportunity.

dntknw.gif

Wasn't that the J-8II that was finished this past decade? I thought the J-8 dated back farther.

Wasn't that the J-8II that was finished this past decade? I thought the J-8 dated back farther.

Hmmmm....J-8B finished in late 1980 or early 1990...

But design target of J-8 is intercept Tu-22M/B-1A,but how can it do this without any BVR weapon?

So J-8H completed it's design target in circa 2002