Sign in to follow this  
rabu

WOW! What a difference...

Have been watching Hellshades excellent videos and I suddenly realized how much he is using the zoom control so I asked him. He has the zoom "[" (out) and "]" (zoom in} assigned to stick buttons. I just tried it out using my Sidwinder Precision 2 software. I assigned the hat switch forward to "]" (zoom in) and the hat switch down position to "[" (zoom out). Using TrackIR5 as I get into to range of a plane I hit the hat switch up a few times to zoom in on my gun line up and to shoot, then quickly zoom back out with the hat switch.. this is an incredible improvement! And I really don't use the hat swich with TrackIR as I don't need it and haven't given up any of my other button controls.

If any of you haven't tried this, do it.

And, thanks, Hellshade :salute:

Have been watching Hellshades excellent videos and I suddenly realized how much he is using the zoom control so I asked him. He has the zoom "[" (out) and "]" (zoom in} assigned to stick buttons. I just tried it out using my Sidwinder Precision 2 software. I assigned the hat switch forward to "]" (zoom in) and the hat switch down position to "[" (zoom out). Using TrackIR5 as I get into to range of a plane I hit the hat switch up a few times to zoom in on my gun line up and to shoot, then quickly zoom back out with the hat switch.. this is an incredible improvement! And I really don't use the hat swich with TrackIR as I don't need it and haven't given up any of my other button controls.

If any of you haven't tried this, do it.

And, thanks, Hellshade :salute:

Glad you like it. It seems to be a much more natural way for me to use the zoom in and out feature while flying in the heat of combat.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Great idea, Hellshade! Will set it up like that. Thanks for posting it, Rabu.

If you are into taking sceenshots having Pause assigned helps alot also.

Crapp! My joystick is very good so far, but the hat switch is only recognised as one command.

So if I want to add "zoom out", he says "Coolie hat" again.

Crapp! My joystick is very good so far, but the hat switch is only recognised as one command.

So if I want to add "zoom out", he says "Coolie hat" again.

Olham, maybe you can do it within CFS3 (OFF).. when you're flying I think you can open the help file button assignments and change them.

I personally don't use the top hat. I've got a Logitech Extreme3d pro and it has 4 buttons on the top of the stick in addition to the top hat. I just assigned the zoom /unzoom function in game to the two closest and it works great. Not an expensive stick either but works great!

Hellshade

I personally don't use the top hat. I've got a Logitech Extreme3d pro and it has 4 buttons on the top of the stick in addition to the top hat. I just assigned the zoom /unzoom function in game to the two closest and it works great. Not an expensive stick either but works great!

Hellshade

Just curious, as your stick sounds like it's similar to mine in number of buttons.. I have the 8 way hat button and 2 small buttons on top with 1 extra larger one. On the base I have four buttons. I have several MS profiles set up for OFF, but am always looking for new ideas. The way I have it set up now using the hat swith for zoom, the only problem is in any external views I loose those two hat button views.

I could put the zooms on the upper two buttons and use the big one for a macro to turn the labels-brackets-cone indicator on or off. Then maybe on the lower four buttons have

6=Chase View -Ctrl+F4,

5=Reset F6 (iron site-gauges-pilot view)

7=Cycle Radar Disply- "T"

8=Next Target -Tab

How do you have your's set up?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks, guys.. I tried a Logitech FFB stick a few years ago and I really didn't like, and wasn't that impressed with the difference FFB makes, but I know many people love it. The regular Logitech one looks very interesting though and having the 2 extra buttons top and base would be great. One question, can you program the buttons with macros (multiple key stoke commands in succession from one button) ?

My old Sidewinder Precision 2 has served me well for many years, still works perfectly and has excellent response. The programmable buttons work great and can use macros. The only thing missing is the extra buttons and the Logitech, with the two extra ones at the top and bottom would be really useful.

Just curious how did you assign the buttons on your Logitech for OFF?

Thanks, Uncleal, I'm aware of all that, and yes, I was there with v1 and 2 and before that, but I think you're getting macros mixed up with multiple key strok assignments.

What I'm saying is that I like the ability to create a profile and assign a series of things to one joy stick button, if I want to. This is called a "macro"

As an example, lets say that in one profile I use for screen shots, I want to have all the visual guides on while flying (cheating, I know), and then, in the middle of a dogfight, at the right moment, I want to push one JS button and have it pause the game, hide all the visual aids and then take a screen shot and then unpause the game. With a software joystick macro I can do that. I can assign one joystick button to many different commands in a series and there is no need to go into CFS3 and change any of the assignments. I could have it pause the game, then turn off labels, cone indicator, brackets, radar, guages, HUD and text, etc., then take a screen shot, then turn all the aids on and un-pause the game. That's a joystick "macro," and I can do that now with my MS Sidewinder. So, what I'm asking is, does the Logitech JS software have "macro" ability for buttons?

Thanks,

I'm curious if you used the OLD Logitech FFB . . or . . .the newer model, as the new one outwardly is identical to the non FFB model. Because I will agree the old model felt like vibrating dish rag in my hand. I had one, for 2 weeks in Phase One. I'd still have it, but I cleaned out my closet last year, and threw it out

I don't know, may have been the old one, but I tried the MS FFB one that everyone swears by and I didn't really think it added much to the simualation either.. I guess I'm just not into FFB effects, sorry.

I don't use Macros. I assign the buttons functions right in OFF.

Hellshade

I don't use Macros. I assign the buttons functions right in OFF.

Hellshade

I went on the Logitech site and can find no dl of a manual for the 3d Pro series or for the software and that's why I was asking if the software has the capibility of runing multiple key strokes or multiple key stroke combinations (macros). Does any one here who has the stick or is familiar with it know? I like the looks of it and the extra buttons, but wouldn't want to buy it and then find out it's limitations.

Thanks,

Okay, since we're talking joysticks and such..... I found out lately that you can use the throttle quadrant of an X52 with just about anything as a joystick. It works with other joysticks plugged into a usb port, just like rudder pedals. I have tried this with Saitek 290 and an old Logitec 3D pro (so old it uses the gameport to usb jack). This probably works with other hotas setups but this is the only one I have. So you could probably connect that logitec 3D FFB pro with a throttle off of another stick. You can program the buttons through the CFS3 controls menu and it all works.

I know, you are saying why bother. I like the way the throttle quadrant buttons are set up but the spring on the X52 joystick can be weak (there are fixes) or you may just wear it or not like the general feel. You may want that FFB and not want to spend the big buck for the new set up. This just gives you another option.

By the way, I cant override the hat on the joystick (any of them) to zoom in or out.

Beard

Thanks, BB, and yes, the Saitek stick looks really good and that's good to know about.

I had another idea and am going to fool around with it this weekend. I recently bought a MS Sidewinder X6 illuminated keyboard. It replaced a Saitek one that I had bought several years ago and was never that happy with the illumination. Anyway, the X6 is the easiest illuminated one to read I have seen so far. It has 6 (x2) programable buttons on the left with assignable games automatically run and it has macros. It also has a detachable number key pad that can be removed or connected on the right or left side, and it can also be changved into a gaming keypad with 17 programable keys and also full macro use. I've just not taken the time to try it out, but will do it this weekend, as I said. My old Sidewinder Precision 2 still works like new and has excellent feel to it, it just lacks buttons, but maybe with the keyboard set up I'll have a good combination.

On the Precison 2 I can override the hat switch with its software, but like I said, I then loose it's settings when looking at external hat views in OFF, so will quit using the zoom that way and assign it to the two buttons just below the hat instead.

Edited by rabu