Sign in to follow this  
Cameljockey

O/T Takin' a break......

It's a pain in the butt........the torch, the heat (torch and sun), the wrench twisting, the frammin' and bammin', the vulgar language. All part of auto mechanics. Come to think of it, I can recall using the same language with my computer from time to time. It'll be worth it though. She ought to ride and handle like new!

Photos?

Don't expect too much. She's a little rough around the edges. Once I get her mechanically sound I'll work on how she looks. I'd rather have a so so looking car that's fast and handles well instead of the opposite. After I get through with this I'm planning on going through the braking system. New rotors, calipers etc. Well it's off to the parts store to take advantage of their "Loan a Tool" program. I need a coil spring compressor. No way on God's green earth to get it in there without one!

post-45778-061587800 1276877172.jpg

post-45778-045593600 1276877181.jpg

Yo, my Shade-tree brother!! Yeah, those front McPhearson struts are a PITA!! How did you get them out without the spring compressor?

I did the same to my Nova 2 years ago... I dropped the ass-end, replaced all bushing, and in the front it was a total Drum to Disc replacement. Thankfully, it's so primitive it's easy to work on. I had to buy a special spring compressor to fit the '63-67 style, and it made life easy. For $25 it's a keeper in the tool box.

Good luck man, and keep us posted. Nice having a change a subject now and then. Maybe I'll take some shots of the Wagon and put those up. She's doing well and completely disassembled.

All the best,

OvS

Work stoppage! It seems that no one in this little one horse town has a centerline spring compressor. The outside ones won't work. They're for coilover struts. Soooooooo........I'm going to go ahead and tear out the other side and get it to the spring installation stage so when the compressor I ordered on Ebay ($40 from Summit Racing see photo) gets here I can pop 'em both in and be done with it. I'm done for the day though. Mother Nature's makin' noise and fixin' to cloud up and rain all over me! Not a good day to be a "Shade tree mechanic". I'll clean up my tools etc and take my frustrations out on some noob Krumpets!

To be continued....................

post-45778-000758900 1276886936.jpg

Maybe my son will think of me this way one day...............

THE OLD MAN WAS COVERED WITH TATTOOS AND SCARS

HE GOT SOME IN PRISON AND OTHERS IN BARS

THE REST HE GOT WORKING' ON OLD JUNK CARS

IN THE DAYTIME

THEY LOOKED LIKE TOMBSTONES IN OUR YARD

AND I NEVER SEEN HIM WHEN HE WASN'T TIRED AND MEAN

HE SOLD USED PARTS TO MAKE ENDS MEET

COVERED WITH GREASE FROM HIS HEAD TO HIS FEET

CUSSING' THE SWEAT AND THE TEXAS HEAT

AND MOSKEETERS

AND THE NEIGHBORS SAID WE LIVED LIKE HICKS

BUT THEY BRUNG THEIR CARS FOR PA TO FIX ANYHOW

HE WAS VETERAN-PROUD, TRIED AND TRUE

HE'D FOUGHT TILL HIS HEART WAS BLACK AND BLUE

DIDN'T KNOW HOW HE'D MADE IT THROUGH THE HARD TIMES

"If That Ain't Country, I'll Kiss Your Ass" by David Allan Coe

I hear Harbor Freight has one.... If you have a NAPA anywhere near you, they probably have them as well. Shame Ford designed that lower control arm with the perch mount on it. It would have made it easier to remove the spring if they made it detachable.

The Nova is reversed. It has the upper perch that compresses, and uses the lower perch as part of the pivot bushing. You can then cram it down as one piece providing you have the correct Chevy II spring compression tool.

Not my Nova, but same year....

post-45836-043771700 1276913150.jpg

post-45836-064888200 1276913156.jpg

Well, I got up this morning and figured I'd go outside and take apart the other side of my front suspension. Everything was going according to plan although the heat and humidity were oppressive. Just as I was removing the control arm I heard a vehicle. I figured it was the mailman, but it was a FedEx truck bringing my coil spring compressor! I couldn't believe it! Less than 24 hours and no special shipping. I told the driver, "You just don't know how happy I am to see you! I decided that I would put it to use right away.

While all of that was going on there was a storm brewing off to the West. I was hoping that it was headed South but I was soon disappointed.(see photo). Now it's raining cats and dogs so I reckon I'll do whatever I can until it lets up.

Drowning in SC wishin' I wasn't....:sad:

and the saga continues.............

post-45778-095549400 1276975775.jpg

post-45778-036378800 1276975899.jpg

Edited by Cameljockey

After making a necessary field modification on the new spring compressor (the screw was about an inch and a half too long), SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I can do the other side.

post-45778-050431000 1277007916.jpg