Sign in to follow this  
guyran

My First Combat Flght Simulator

Who is old enough to remember this flight sim?

Oh s**t, that one does not buy it when it was small, but if I had been bought by Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, I always remained with desire to have it....

Mine was Gunship on the ZX Spectrum, my first taste of Microprose games that started a long addiction to those big boxes and glossy manuals. The video below is from the Commodore 64 version.

post-22478-088786800 1276895854.jpg My first combat simulator was "ace of aces" for my amstrad, it was a mosquito simulator, im sorry but i don't have any photo...... yuppi, i found it Edited by Hans Topp

"SkyChase" for dos was my first, but I do remember Chuck Yeager's as well!

Yes I remember that one, good times

The Aces over ... series and 1942 were also my favorites, in the old days.

I had Yeager's Air Combat but I agree that the "Aces Over" sims really sold me on sims.

I've been a Strike Eagle junkie since the first iteration of that sim. I still play Jane's F-15 on my Win98/Voodoo3 box.

I recently found my Strike Eagle II floppies and was happy to find it runs GREAT under DoxBox. Boy, did that bring back some good memories. "Nice Hit!!!"

Commodore 64 - maybe 1983?

F-15 Strike Eagle

Sorry for the corny music... not sure why this guy did this.

OvS

Even more amazing is how far this one has come!! I have FSX, and it's about as real as I have ever seen a Flight Sim... including the 777 time I had with BA in Cardiff.

OvS

I'm pretty sure it was Top Gun on the C64 for me. Also played some other ones, including an AH-64 game. The first one for the the PC was Flight of the Intruder cool.gif

Mine was F-15 Strike Eagle on the C64 in 1984. We were stationed in Izmir, Turkey at the time.

I am actually old enough to remember this one:

What I don't remember is destroying the dam. 8 bits games were a lot more difficult than current games.

Does After Burner and Thunder Blade count?

With the 'retro mood' each game is count.

Your young age is also count. :good:

Most of us here are from the 'oldies club'.:grin:

My mom took from school she was a teacher at then ZX Spectrum, I had it just for me for whole long weekend!

I was 7:

then my dad bought me C64, and times of ACE, ACE2:

and Ace of Aces begun!

They don't do such titles anymore, do they? :lol:

Well, I played Their Finest Hour and Gunship 2000 in the early to mid-1990s, but given my age I'd say that my first "real" combat flight sims were CFS2 and Il-2.

use to fly the Logitec F-22 Lightning II at a friends house

the first thing i ever remember :)

:good:

Man! I am OLD! I remember Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. I even played it on the Macintosh. In fact, it was Chuck nostalgia that caused me to buy SF2 last year after getting back into Flight Sims while teaching a friend to game.

Probably my first flight sim was on the C-64. I can't recall the name of the game, but I do remember also having an Apache simulator game on cassette tape. It took about 20 minutes to load from tape, and only worked one time out of three. You had to really want to play!

I also played the original Air Superiority board games, flying MiG-21's and MiG-29's across paper maps against my friends in Phantoms and F-15's. I kept them for years but didn't have anyone to play them with, so I ditched them when I moved house a couple of years ago.

My first true sim was Fleet Defender on the PC, because I don't think "Combat" for the Atari or After Burner for Nintendo counts. I do recall playing a Harrier sim on C64, F-15 Strike Eagle II, and another Atari title "Tomcat, the F-14 Flight Simulator" which I own today, but FD was really my first SIM.

Back in 1996 when i got my SNES, my first game ever :grin:

not really a simulator but very well produced, i've played till 2001 IIRC when i got my PS1 and moved to Ace combat.

Edited by Silverbolt

I had Yeager:played it all the time.

I used to love the "Scrambles"

I never had C64. My first machine was 386/16. Had 2 HD's,a 20 meg and a 40 meg. Ran DOS 5 point something.

The Aces over games got me started. I used to play them for several hours a day. :blink:

I had Yeager:played it all the time.

I used to love the "Scrambles"

I never had C64. My first machine was 386/16. Had 2 HD's,a 20 meg and a 40 meg. Ran DOS 5 point something.

The Aces over games got me started. I used to play them for several hours a day. :blink:

The Yeager was on 4 360KB black floppy disks. Got it as a present for my Birthday.

The mission was 'Scramble at dawn' IIRC

I also liked the KAW 'mig alley' missions with first jets.

It was a great sim for it's time, covering 3 wars, with lot of flyable planes.

I remember "Ace of aces" and "Dambusters" on Amstrad CPC, then "Wings" and "Their finest hour" on Amiga (also a couple of jet sims I don't remember the names), and then gave up until I discovered Il-2. What a shock it was to see how much flight sim had evolved in only a few years!

I think for me it was the WWI mode in sublogic's FS2. F-15 Strike Eagle came after that.

The first PC sim I got was MPS' Gunship, with its polygonal mountains! The other helos were still wireframe triangles like F-15 SE had years earlier, but the terrain was no longer flat and brown or flat and blue.

Then came my first favorite--F-19. I spent so many hours over several years with that one.

I played a little Red Baron 1 (it was 2/3D I spent more time with) and then CYAC, but I remember 1991 was the year of SWOTL and Falcon 3! Then came the "Aces over" series with the Pacific and Europe, and 1942:PAW...did a lot of WWII carrier ops, as well as doing it in F-19!