sinbad

Free LOD viewer

17 members have voted

1. 1. Toy or Tool?

• I can work with this
    • Maybe some else can work with this
    • Interesting to see the LODS
    • A waste of time

Yesterday I discovered a program that enables LOD viewing and manipulation. Notice I did not say editing, but the door to the locked room can be opened.

The files you will see will probably not look like aircraft, because they are maps that the FE program use to “wrap around” and create the models with skins you see in the game. Notice for example that the face of the gunner is separate from the body. That's to enable separate areas for the bmp skin.

At least one member of the CA forum has apparently used this program to create a weapons, so it appears that it may be possible to use it to create and add simple shapes, and get them into the game.

Here are the links-

http://www.gulfknight.net/forum/dload.php?...amp;file_id=551 - The host site; and

http://www.gulfknigh...egory&cat_id=39 for the program.

And here –

http://combatace.com...page__p__91051 for the CA thread.

It isn’t the Grail – that is a program that can fully “reverse engineer” LOD files back to editable models, but it is helpful.

I have done nothing with it but tinker so far, so I probably cannot answer questions about the program.

I'd like to know what you think about it though.

sinbad

post-6006-097708900 1276958508.jpg

I've used that program for some time.

It only works on very simple LODs...more complex LODs cause it to crash or come out very distorted.

I don't really find it that useful anymore because it doesn't give you anything like coordinates, decals, etc.

FC

sinbad, how did you get the GothaGIV .LOD to open up using this program? Every .LOD (for FE aircraft) I try to open causes the program to crash and close.

Edited by quack74

Hi Quack74-

I put all rendering files for the Gotha in a test folder along with a shortcut to the LOD app. (The shortcut probably not nec but makes it easier.)

Then load UMC2v1.3.

Then go to the load menu.

Load a model file will popup.

Select 3rd Wire files.lod from the drop down list and the file you want to open.

The file should then load.

You can then select different forms of rendering; facing, wire, points and animate.

Remember - I just stumbled across this program. I did not create it and I am not an expert user.

There is more help at the forum managed by the author - http://www.gkab.net/index.php?sid=ca3c64c5c92ea0d4a0fa220e42f0a162

I still have not yet done anything useful with it.

Fast Cargo has more experience with it and he now reports he is disenchanted.

It seems, the search for the grail will continue.

Meanwhile this is a learning expereince and a look inside the lods.

Hope this helps.

sinbad

Edited by sinbad

I used this program for long time, helped me create "new" cockpits from stock ones via ini modifications -really helps to find specific mesh name

Now, say that COULD be useful actually! Especially for the stock LODs that have no OUT files...

FC

I used this program for long time, helped me create "new" cockpits from stock ones via ini modifications -really helps to find specific mesh name

Starry,

I've been messing with this program and can't figure out how to find a specific mesh name. How did you do it?