I had an idea the other day that I am working through and so far I like the way it is progressing.

I like to fly with all the hud info removed, and that can sometimes make navigation a bit challenging, to help with this I have printed out all the maps for the terrains that I use, put them in plastic covers, and then I use a dry marker pen to draw in waypoints and other info for each mission before I fly,then I can follow the map info inflight through the mission, at the end of the mission you just wipe off the markings and your ready for the next briefing......:good:

I thought I might take this to the next level by drawing a series of flight corridors from key areas of the map to other key ares of the map......like Vector airways, so I opened the planning maps with 'ms paint' drew in these lines between airports and saved the changes (of course saving an original back-up)

post-39468-011834600%201276966944.jpg

Then when you go into the planning map prior to lauching your mission, you adjust your way-points to be aligned with these corridors, so now if you are using an aircraft that has a moving map display then you get these lines imposed on the map.......I still have some adjusting to do, and some more corridors to add but I think this has potential to work pretty well

Here is a shot from within the cockpit

post-39468-032734000%201276966853.jpg

post-39468-011834600 1276966944.jpg

Edited by romflyer

Pretty smooth there.

Back in Forgotten Battles, I printed out the maps, instead of using the little ingame map. Doing this gave the game a new dimension. Very nice. You had to pay attention while flying long distances. :good:

This is very interesting Romflyer and you've obviously put a lot of thought into it.

Should make your missions more immersive!

It isn't relevant for me though, cos i fly in the dark!( as my CO keeps telling me! )

- I use a projector - but as the thread is about maps,and I reckon you are an expert, I wonder if you or anyone can advise me please re the map you call up as you fly.

I can zoom it a bit but I can't get it to zoom OUT far enough to give me a more overall picture of the route and all waypoints. Is there a way to alter this?

TIA

There is an INI edit so that you can zoom pretty far out on the map.. It's somewhere in the KB...

This is very interesting Romflyer and you've obviously put a lot of thought into it.

Should make your missions more immersive!

It isn't relevant for me though, cos i fly in the dark!( as my CO keeps telling me! )

- I use a projector - but as the thread is about maps,and I reckon you are an expert, I wonder if you or anyone can advise me please re the map you call up as you fly.

I can zoom it a bit but I can't get it to zoom OUT far enough to give me a more overall picture of the route and all waypoints. Is there a way to alter this?

TIA

I too fly in the dark......cos I use TIR, but I have a little light on a goose neck which casts enough light over the map to aid in navigation and situational awareness......as for zooming in and out on the map, I recall that I had that issue prior to the 08 patch, but now I can zoom out enough to get the big picture...

There is an INI edit so that you can zoom pretty far out on the map.. It's somewhere in the KB...

Hi- well I tried map, Zoom map, resize map , and Zoom in the search but got no results!

Anyone spell it out please?

Extract the FLIGHTENGINE.INI AND TRY THIS_

[MapSettings]

MapMaxSize=450000

MapMinSize=10000

MapInitSize=100000

MapScaleRate=5.0

Extract the FLIGHTENGINE.INI AND TRY THIS_

[MapSettings]

MapMaxSize=450000

MapMinSize=10000

MapInitSize=100000

MapScaleRate=5.0

Raven - thank you very much for this

I had an idea the other day that I am working through and so far I like the way it is progressing.

I like to fly with all the hud info removed, and that can sometimes make navigation a bit challenging, to help with this I have printed out all the maps for the terrains that I use, put them in plastic covers, and then I use a dry marker pen to draw in waypoints and other info for each mission before I fly,then I can follow the map info inflight through the mission, at the end of the mission you just wipe off the markings and your ready for the next briefing......:good:

I thought I might take this to the next level by drawing a series of flight corridors from key areas of the map to other key ares of the map......like Vector airways, so I opened the planning maps with 'ms paint' drew in these lines between airports and saved the changes (of course saving an original back-up)

post-39468-011834600%201276966944.jpg

Then when you go into the planning map prior to lauching your mission, you adjust your way-points to be aligned with these corridors, so now if you are using an aircraft that has a moving map display then you get these lines imposed on the map.......I still have some adjusting to do, and some more corridors to add but I think this has potential to work pretty well

Here is a shot from within the cockpit

post-39468-032734000%201276966853.jpg

In my first post about this the picture from inside the cockpit didnt show, so this one shows what it looks like from within the cockpit, showing the moving map display having these corridors showing in flight.

post-39468-092794500 1277848757.jpg