Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

If you had to choose one of these three films..

14 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only watch one of the following, which and why?

• Rescue Dawn
    • Cadillac Man
    • Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Couldn't be better TV wise for me tonight as a fan of Werner Herzog, Clint Eastwood and Start Trek. I like most Vietnam War films but having just read something about historical inaccuracies in Rescue Dawn I'm veering more towards Cadillac Man never having seen it before, then again it has been at least a decade since last seeing Star Trek 1. Hmm what do I do, you decide! drinks.gif

I'm veering that way myself, just something about Cadillac Man, even though I haven't seen it and am a huge Clint Eastwood fan, there's something subliminal telling me it's a s**te film

I thought Cadillac Man was with Robin Williams...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Man

I remember seeing it...bit of a dark comedy.

I'm a geek...but ST:TMP wasn't a great way to start the ST film franchise.

I'd probably go with Rescue Dawn...only because I haven't seen it before.

FC

ST because I never get sick of of watching the first movie.

Doh!! I was thinking of Pink Cadillac! Right, so far Rescue Dawn has failed to impress, it's unmistakeably Herzog and for that reason alone I'd watch it in future simply for aesthetics and not to think about the glaring mistakes. ST FTW.

Voted...

Live long and prosper! :cool:

Couldn't be better TV wise for me tonight as a fan of Werner Herzog, Clint Eastwood and Start Trek. I like most Vietnam War films but having just read something about historical inaccuracies in Rescue Dawn I'm veering more towards Cadillac Man never having seen it before, then again it has been at least a decade since last seeing Star Trek 1. Hmm what do I do, you decide! drinks.gif

I preffer movies that are not only entirely fiction but also create questions in the mind that normaly would not prsent them selves. I look for Schwanken in everything, which is German for Limit of varability , when used in the correct content.:salute:

Cadillac Man. That movie is hilarious, and reminds me of all the Cal Worthington commercials I saw years ago in Tacoma.

Pon-Far anyone?

No thanks, gives me gas.

I preffer movies that are not only entirely fiction but also create questions in the mind that normaly would not prsent them selves. I look for Schwanken in everything, which is German for Limit of varability , when used in the correct content.:salute:

I'm going to remember that word! Next time I ask for a German film I should ask for a "Schwanken film" drinks.gif

Cadillac Man next time, bound to be on soon as ITV recycle their films through their four channels. Watching SF:TMP last night was weird, some of it is cheeze to cringeworthy levels while the overall concepts about V-ger are amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed it, hope they put on II and III in the coming weeks, I think I'm developing pon-far for Trek films it's been that long! lol.gif

Probably cadillac man - as ive never heard of it before.

Have Rescue Dawn on DVD - not bad but could have been so much better - also as ever its not totally accurate if do any reading on Dieter Dengler.

I voted for ST as it's the only one I have on DVD! Cadillac Man was ok, but one viewing was enough, and I wasn't even interested in seeing Rescue Dawn.

ST:TMP had its troubles but I still find I enjoy it on repeat viewings. I own all 11 ST films on DVD, and the 3 seasons of the original series on Bluray!

I voted for ST as it's the only one I have on DVD! Cadillac Man was ok, but one viewing was enough, and I wasn't even interested in seeing Rescue Dawn.

ST:TMP had its troubles but I still find I enjoy it on repeat viewings. I own all 11 ST films on DVD, and the 3 seasons of the original series on Bluray!

WoW! That's awesome! Any more of a fan and you'd be getting SF themed tattoos/body modifications grin.gif

Bah, I'm nothing in the annals of ST fandom. I don't own any of the seasons of TNG, DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise! In fact, I've been renting and rewatching those series for what is in most cases only my 2nd time seeing them ever after their original airing 10, 15, or 20 years ago!

Yeah, it is nicer than the theatrical, which is why the Bluray was such a letdown.

I'm assuming it was the directors cut at well over two hours with adverts. Then again, it's getting increasingly rare that a film of any description makes it much past 90mins these days. I don't know if it's peoples attention span dictating the market or the other way around, either way, if the market can survive with weak plots, messy half second or less frames cobbled together with special effects and a well known face or two in 90 minutes, who can blame them for milking it for all its worth. It's so sad the way this world has changed. Euch, I'm getting oooold.grandpa.gif

Edited by GwynO

I'm assuming it was the directors cut at well over two hours with adverts. Then again, it's getting increasingly rare that a film of any description makes it much past 90mins these days. I don't know if it's peoples attention span dictating the market or the other way around, either way, if the market can survive with weak plots, messy half second or less frames cobbled together with special effects and a well known face or two in 90 minutes, who can blame them for milking it for all its worth. It's so sad the way this world has changed. Euch, I'm getting oooold.grandpa.gif

A major film over 90 minutes is rare these days? Have you been to a cinema lately? I won't deny that films way under 90 minutes have become en vouge (although it's a bit hard to realize it thanks to the 10 minute credits sequence), but there are still plenty of films that have a runtime close to or even over two hours.

The current top three in the US

Toy Story: 103 minutes

The Karate Kid: 140 minutes

The A-Team: 117 minutes

The biggest films of the past few years, Avatar and The Dark Knight, were well over 2 hours long.

Of course, when films are shown with commercials they often get edited down so they'll fit. Remember in 2 hrs of TV they need to show 30 mins of commercials (watch any 2 hr TV movie or show on DVD and it's 90 mins).

However, the director's cut of ST:TMP wasn't really any longer than the original because of editing. They shortened a couple of the more sedate scenes and the new stuff was largely replacement visual effects which didn't change the running time at all. Only a couple of scenes were added. It just seemed to be a better film, though, like the extended version of the Abyss.

I don't really go to the cinema often these days, mostly as the films that are on offer hardly ever seem to be worth going back to watch again and leave me with a numb behind and a distinct feeling of having been ripped off. Prices are ridiculous at the cinema these days so am content to enjoy the films of old and the artistic cinema that hardly appears at most cinemas these days anyway. I think the last time I actually enjoyed the cinema experience was watching Son of Rambow in a tiny little cinema in Stratfford-upon-Avon (the birthplace of Shakespeare incidentally, the town, not the cinema) not overly priced ice cream and plenty of leg room at the back made all the better as the gf and I were the only ones there, cute film too.

I think it must have been the updated one they showed the other night as the special effects showing V-ger's insides were way awesome. Now Abyss, there's a film worth seeing again! Never saws the extended version, but as with most films I expect the special edition to be that little bit more special, exceptions exist of course such as Alien as pointed out by Cameron on the DVD intro were he basically tells you that you shouldn't waste your time watching it as the original was the directors cut and the studios just wanted to sell more DVDs of the film by getting him to fiddle with it a bit.