Sign in to follow this  
CowboyTodd41

F-104G roller-rudder

I've noticed, and I could be wrong about this, never actually flown an F-104 but when I kick in the rudder, it just does an aileron roll, I know that the 104 has really tiny wings, but seems like there is no yaw at all, might be a bug, or maybe not. Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. or Euros, whatever.

Mine done the same thing with A-4, A1-H, and F-104. Works ok with F-4, and F-100. Have not flown Migs yet.

Does your problem happen with other aircraft like mine does?

I am using CH Pro Combatstick, Pedals, and after tomorrow, a throttle too.

Chief W.

The problems might just be related to the flight models. All of the lighter aircraft have a bad tendency to roll at high AOA, so the rudder could just be another thing that sets it off. Have you tried using combined rudder and ailerons? Like, rudder to the right, ailerons to the left to counteract the roll?

Dihedral effect on the F-104 I can understand. On the A-1 though? That has positive dihedral, which would keep it from rolling.

just kidding...there is no sandwhich effect...well maybe for private pilots having lunch wthout auto pilot....lol

Dihedral effect is the tendency for the airplane to roll in the same direction to which it has been yawed. While this is most common in swept wing airplanes,(dutch roll) it can happen in any airplane. It's a great tool in a fight. But...in the F-104 my problem is that when I apply LEFT rudder, the airplane rolls to the RIGHT. and vice-versa.

Now that really blows.

Mud